Even though I don't always agree with his opinion, I really enjoy reading his reviews. Who is your favorite reviewer?

Even though I don't always agree with his opinion, I really enjoy reading his reviews. Who is your favorite reviewer?

pee pee poo poo

/thread

myself

Mark FUCKING Prindle

Scaruffi is by far the guy who made me discover the greatest number of cool bands and albums.
I'll be forefer grateful to him

same scaruffi is a great reviewer + god tier meme material

You know, there was a time Lester Bangs would have been the clear favorite in this thread.

Now it's Scaruffi 24/7 on Sup Forums, folks telling me Passion is Peter Gabriel's best album, the Doors are good, memeing Blonde on Blonde, Spiderland, Nico, and Type O-Negative...

I mean-a the man doesn't even speak-a de English. Mama mia.

christgau no doubt about it
every word is filled with contempt and every sentence is the rebuke of a question you haven't even asked yet
could care less about his scoring since all he does is kill

you've activated my trap card

is that the guy from hannah montana

he's right ya know

lol what

just a senile old man

>Between the Buried and Me, a black metal outfit

Kek he really has no idea what he's talking about

Glad I'm not the only one who finds Spiderland fucking unbearable.

Anthony Fantano, the Internet's Busiest Music Nerd, a.k.a. The Needle Drop

scaruffi's ultimate ambition, it seems to me, is to treat rock music the way a cultural historian would treat classical music, or painting: as art, rather than commodity. i don't always agree with him, but this undertaking, taken in accord with his knowledge of the medium and his insight into how it connects with broader areas of human cultural enterprise, is nothing short of laudable. plus i've discovered a ton of great music browsing through his site.

mark prindle is also great, and in many ways is the true heir to lester bangs, in his self-insertion into the reviews, over-the-top of humor, and exaltation of 'trash'. shame he stopped writing.

This

is he right?

absolutely

marsbars, but I usually don't give a shit about his opinion, I just like the way he writes.

This image is fucking legendary

God I love Scaruffi

I agree with Scaruffi that the only Bowie album's really worth anything are Heroes and Low, but not much else.

Lester Bangs was never the favorite of this board. People talked about him as much as they do now.

I feel the exact same way.

Tfw I told him that and he laughed and said "well I'm glad I'm useful to at least one person"

I kind of hate Christgau and think he's a cynic who doesn't actually enjoy music as such (like could you picture him listening to classical or something? he just likes certain bands as expressions of black cultural and rock and roll Americana and punk artiness aesthetics he enjoys) but I do enjoy his writing

>Passion
>not the best Peter Gabriel album
Nice meme

I usually agree with him but I hate his reviews

I unironically want to learn Italian for the sole purpose of reading the right side of scaruffi reviews.

Ryan Dombal

>Bowie died of cancer in january 2016

is this one of the greatest punchlines ever?

the first type o negative album is genius, the punkiness and humor of it makes it go over peoples heads when it's actually deeply psychological and metaphysical

he will never accept anything bowie did as legitimate
he sees bowie purely as an artistic parasite

This is sorta why I like scaruffi because he cares about artistry