/GG/ Guitaru and Bassu General

Based & Helpful theory Teachers Edition(Thanks Guys)

"How do I learn to play guitar without getting a teacher?"
>justinguitar.com

Guitar chords and inversions
>chordbook.com/guitar-chords/

String tension calculator (D'Addario-based):
>hikkyz.net/misc/stringassembler/

Music theory:
>musictheory.net/lessons

Hal Leonard's Bass Method:
>mediafire.com/file/sayviwqxfcxfjon/

Steve Vai's Ten Hour Workout
>mediafire.com/download/kzw6kjuocgicwks/Ten_Hour.pdf

Guthrie Govan's Creative Guitar 1 & 2
>mediafire.com/download/bn8803xzlrbds3b/Guitar1.rar
>mediafire.com/download/9uhtufuf3z9cx8m/Guitar2.rar

Advancing Guitarist - Mick Goodrick
>mediafire.com/download/cvfno10fv4lf4a8

Chord Chemistry - Ted Greene
>mediafire.com/download/61n5op7eiifxztg

Mickey Baker's Jazz Guitar
>mediafire.com/download/zq35xorj2iaqh22

Modern Chord Progressions: Jazz and Classical Voicings for Guitar - Ted Greene
>mediafire.com/download/oflu4wdwofhqqtb

Jazz Guitar: Single Note Soloing Vol. 1 & 2- Ted Greene
>mediafire.com/download/07o65qdh5in1nsq
>mediafire.com/download/jmu86f7dj8bdxcd

Impulse Response Pack
>mediafire.com/download/svtfxjtillrdwt8/Gods Cab 1.3.rar
>mediafire.com/download/4n28zkjw0zgmdj9/ASEM RECTO V30 L2.wav

Stale Bread---->

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/i/s0U3W9xvNQok
m.youtube.com/watch?v=KzzO0Bj20eM
youtu.be/5AHOvW77mTs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

thoughts on improv?

vocaroo.com/i/s0U3W9xvNQok

Jerry Seinfeld is overrated but Jeremy Hotz is the funniest Jew, his improv is sharp and relatable

not quite, really i just go off of the intervals. the only note i can really find quickly is C because i know it's exactly where E used to be. lol. like, i don't look up what notes are in the C minor scale and then play those. i know it's the same shape as any other minor chord i've played, all you need to know is where the root is and everything follows

who is this guitar genie?

just realized the pickups on my humbuckers on the guitar i got from the pawn a long ass time ago have a bunch of screws missing. think that's fucking up the tone?

>he's missing his tone-screws
It's worthless now

I have a Fender 212r and it fucking sucks dick.
Dont buy this garbage
Can I run a head through this and use the speakers still or should I just sell it

not entirely sure what you mean but I think you're correct

here are different voicings of Dmaj7 for example. same notes just in different positions, and note the mutes which makes barring harder if not impossible for some chords.

I have the same amp.

It sounds like a muddy shit mess. Especially if you run pedals through it.

you're not applying reverb and stuff and then distorting right? bc that'll muddy up your sound. does it have an effects loop?

Sell it for a super champ and use it as a head and buy an extension Cab. Or a HRD Deluxe or Deville

Eva Hendricks of Charly Bliss, my
Mustang QT

No I run distortion before any delay or reverb.

It's just a shitty amp.

IS voicing the musical term for "variation" or "version?" I have a chord book and usually a chord will have (Ver. 3) under it and it's the same sounding chord played somewhere else, is that the same as a voicing?

pretty good depending on how long you've been playing, try to play with a metronome to work on your timing and practice bending more accurately and with vibrato

in guitar harmonic theory, a voicing is the chord arranged in a different way
I think it doesn't even have to be an inversion but I don't know

Nope. Just a shitty sounding amp I think.
I actually just noticed it has an effects loop after years of playing this amp. How could the effects loop help my tone?

variation is the generic term everyone uses. but yeah it's the same concept as voicing.

How do I get better at notation?

Just learning scales?

>I actually just noticed it has an effects loop after years

What do you mean notation?

yeah I didnt know what an effects loop even was until recently. I still dont know how its different from just chaining it into the input of my amp.

I practice by looping chords with a pedal and then improvising around them as a lead part. But I have no idea what I'm doing. The notes don't go together most of the time.

Was buying an envelope filter a good idea?

Then yeah, scales will help a lot.

Hey /gg/, does anyone here had experience with ET guitar custom necks? What price did you pay, and what was the quality of the neck?

You mean the polepiece screws, uh yeah dude those are important

Well no shit it'll sound bad if you just play random notes.
You should learn scales as soon as possible, with guitar you can learn the positions and don't bother much with theory, but eventually you should get to that in order to know which scales you can use in less conventional chord progressions.
Major/minor and pentatonic are the fundamental and imprescindible, and the harmonic minor is also used heavily in metal as far as i'm aware.

when you amplify something that's been modulated, it muddies the sound. think of it, which is more natural, a guitar that is amplified and then reverb'd, or a guitar that is reverb'd and then amplified

you should learn what the scale you're playing is on a single string and improv on a single string at first. slides are a good way to cheekily test what note is the good one without it seeming like you're fumbling around

in general, do lap slide guitars have hotter or more vintage style pickups?

Posting here again for responses:

Okay so I plan on getting new strings for both my basses (MIM Fender P Bass & MIM Fender Deluxe P Bass Special - an active bass).

I know for the passive P I want to put a set of LaBella Deep Talking flats on them to get that motown/soul sound, but am unsure of what gauge size to get.

For the Deluxe P I want something that will be brighter for slap and pop, funk music, but still allow me to stay in the pocket and be grooving, yet be versatile enough to jump into any genre.

I've never bought bass strings before; having only play on the production strings from factory (which what are they? I don't know the gauge, but they seem to be roundwounds) so any and all advice is appreciated.

Strings are cheap
If you don't like em buy new ones

Easy peasy

Buy a Bassman

while I appreciate that, I'm of the mindset that bass strings (at least flatwounds) should never be replaced, i.e. buy once buy for life. That's where my string gauge question comes in.

As for the Active P, I'm more open to that mindset, but I'd rather get testimonials and buy something that are universally accepted and work with those for a while.

alright roman we know its you

>bass strings (at least flatwounds) should never be replaced,
u wot m8?

not him but bassists rarely change strings

in fact most think duller the better

basically, flatwounds sound like shit and are for shitty sounding music, so don't change them

bassists are poor as fuck and bass strings are expensive

I'm not roman

it's a common mindset among bass players

when it comes to a dull sound, you have to take it into context - with flatwounds on my P, I plan on making that bass my "stay in the background, keep a strong, rhythmic groove going" hence why I want flats, and want to buy great ones that'll last for life.

As for my Active P, I want something bright and snappy.

>the duller the better

uh...no? nobody ever thinks that. not even for ronudwounds

Rotosound swing bass 66 strings or you're a faggot.

But really, they're perfect for a bright tone that stands out. John Entwistle and Chris Squire swore by them and they needed a lead tone that could cut through a mix for their styles.

>need to bring my bass to a luthier
>he was highly recommended to me and is even a bassist himself
>I'm super nervous and I'll look like a complete retard there

I'm shit, and even worse in front of people, and I'm fat and I own super expensive gear/basses. I'll look like a complete idiot....

say your doing it for your roommate whos at work you filthy beta

luthier's deal with middle age crisis shit players with top end gear all the time, no need for you to worry

better yet, say it's for your girlfriend

then make an awkward joke about her wearing the pants and bringing home the bacon

I've been playing since about 2004 (was 8 years old) but only started taking guitar more seriously in about late 2013. Improv is something I always struggled with so have been practicing scales and just jamming over chords. Timing was off on this but half the problem is I don't have a 4 track so I had to manually start the recording off my phone which put my out of time

If you really want flats for life, check out Thomastik Infeld flats. Their flats are built like upright bass strings, not like typical electric strings. Anyway for the gauge, keep in mind that real flatwounds are very high tension because they're more dense. A normal 40-100 set should be fine. Also check out nylon tapewound strings for a super thumpy Motown vibe.

I personally like standard daddario nickel wounds for "bright" strings. They're THE standard roundwound string but maybe you want SS strings.

>written hundreds of songs during my life
>can't sing and will never front my own band

just end me

get a loop pedal, they are god-tier for jamming

Pete Townsend and Noel Gallagher were their band's song writers

true, I just don't like the idea of someone else singing my lyrics

all I want is to lead a comfy trio band

Honest question:

Why play guitar as anything other than a hobby if you don't have the look for it?

Like why be good at playing if you don't look cool as shit playing. Which is pretty much impossible if you're fat and bald or something.

Anyone can play guitar so you really only have yourself to offer if you want to play to impress.

Have you tried taking singing lessons?

(you)

nah, no point. I have zero talent to work with

not discrediting lessons either, my mum is a professional singer so I know how effective they can be

>zero talent
i find this really hard to believe

Omg he looks so good XDDD
Clearly guitar skills have nothing to do with it and it's all about how you look :P

MAB is acutally mahguical

multiple guitarists have gotten through phases of their careers being unable to play

Sid Vicious

the guitarist for Zeppelin being unable to play at that one stadium event

Its not even about good looks but nobody wants to admit image is almost 99% of being a figure in the guitar based music industry

bullshit, pic related

one of the biggest and most loved figures in folk rock ever

do you know what speakers are in it? I doubt its worth to run a head through it but who knows

What is the standard equipment to play stoner rock?

What amp is good? are the orange amps meant to be combined with a lot of effects? some of them sound very dirty by themselves

can you play contemporary stoner rock with old classic fuzz face pedals? is it better to use a big muff or another kind?

what kind of wah should i use? a classic wah? is it connected before or after the fuzz?

is the chorus pedal used in rock or only in jazz?

Does the kind of guitar i play (in terms of shape and material) affect the sound too much? like, if i play stoner metal with say... a mahogany lespaul will it change a lot the sound if i play with a maple stratocaster? (implying same amps pedals pickups, etc...)

Oh also, what are the best pickups to use for stoner rock? humbuckers?

in which situation are active pickups or single coil useful? Is there a huge difference in single stacked or side by side humbuckers?

but being an ugly twat is his image. its very note worthy

>image is almost 99% of being a figure in the guitar based music industry

yeah in the shit tier metal modern rock billiion note per second emo teen angst with shitty teen rebelliousness distantly related to music business

but in the god tier intellectual knowledge haver, good life seeker, emotion and beauty art wanter of jazz and modern alt rock everyone know its about the music, the fans might as well be blind

p90s

not at all, he's iconic for his lyrics and voice

plus he's self conscious to the point where alcoholism is the only reason he'll get up on stage. being an ugly fucked up mess is far from an image gimmick

Why aren't strats good for playing heavy music?

Generally you want a humbucker for heavy music to get the stereotypical "fat tones". You can play it just fine with a strat that has a bridge humbucker

the girl is rather ugly, but the attitde she has makes her real hot

Who said they aren't? Unless you mean death metal or some shit.

You could slap an EQ at the end and get nasty ass tones from single coils

how do i record midi suing the qwerty keyboard inr epaer? i cant fucking find the answer

How often do you fuckers go through strings? I keep breaking mine like every two weeks granted they are d' addario super lights but still.

Get thicker strings and see if it keeps happening.
Better toan with thicker strings too, I've been told.

Is that you J Mascis

never
>that bassist feel

How do you break strings? I've never broken any and I viciously bend and change tunings often on a light set

My guitarist broke two D strings in one week, we were about to file the bridge's saddles but then he broke an A string last saturday

fffuck Ernie Ball

aggressive picking, not bending is what breaks strings.

slamming chords tryign to make your amp break up more is how most people break their strings, or dumbasses thinking that their acoustic guitar sounds good when they strum it really hard (protip: it doesnt)

>Tfw when no dirty punkfu to have raunchy sex in a grimy club bathroom before a set

Idk man I have a weird thing for petite blondes with mouselike faces. Her voice is hit or miss but it's got that gritty girl snarl
m.youtube.com/watch?v=KzzO0Bj20eM

I think I have broken a string maybe once in the past 12 months

>Ernie Ball
I've had trouble with those too.

At the moment I'm using D'Addario XL nickel 10's and they're good.

>be me
>at the open mic
>gf in the early stages of her period
>horny as fugg but not bleedin yet
>hike up her skirt and fuck her raw in the bathroom
>cum in her pussy
>pull her panties up right after so she gets a little messy cum puddle down there
>about 15 minutes later she decides shes gonna sing a song
>watching her on stage
>mfw i can see cum dribbling down the inside of her leg

>I've never broken any

How? I've lost count how many times I've seen guitarists break them live let alone myself. Usually rhythm players though.

>protip: it doesnt

But that's just like, your opinion, man

My last set of Elixirs lasted 5 months but D'addarios usually don't live past a month before they get rusted to shit and risk tetanus. Fuck Ernie ball though, they rust within days.

Truer words have never been spoken at 1:00
youtu.be/5AHOvW77mTs

Sounds hot but this is Sup Forums so my mental image of your gf isn't very flattering

elixir polywebs really are the way to go unless you're rich af and can replace your strings every gig

other coated strings don't compare, aren't even the same type of thing. don't get me started on the garbage neon color bullshit strings

Just sit down and fucking read it. Start with songs you already know in your head but can't actually play yet.

For example, last October I taught myself the first part of Pat Martino's solo on "Just Friends". I didn't know how to play it, but I could sing it and hear it in my head, so I found a transcription of it online and worked off of that. I had the part down in two days. The most important thing is to be able to look at the staff and recognize a note just by quickly looking at it, then being able to figure out rhythms (which will come with constant, consistent use of standard notation, you'll recognize patterns and hear them in your head as you see them). Buy a copy of "The Real Book: C Edition" and go to town. I recommend starting with simple tunes in C major, then moving into keys with more accidentals and simple rhythms (a lot of early Miles Davis stuff makes for good reading exercises).

I recently bought a 10 pack of Elixirs for $40 off Reverb and now I'm set for life. I used to have the GC string club card and pay $8 a pack but I don't go as often anymore, although it is a good way to rack up in strings.

How is the Viking?

I never break strings unless I accidentally tune my high E string a little sharp or my thick E string unravels from aggressive live playing (which has only happened once). I replace my strings if they start getting really gnarly or if I'm going to record, or if I have a really important gig coming up and want to sound my best. I use Rotosound Yellows (.10-.46s) and wipe down my strings/neck with a microfiber towel after each use.

please answer this, how do i set the basic stoner rock sound in a guitar vst??

Depends on how heavy you want to go. I feel like you'd probably see a lot more "fat Strats" (Starts with humbucking pups) in modern heavy music if brands like Ibanez and Jackson hadn't cornered the heavy rock markets with pointy guitars decades ago.

>tfw restringing and retuning high e

wonder how many steps there actually are from e pitch to the string snapping

lol

typical lanky post-heroin-chic highwaisted-cordouroy-wearing faux-hipster liberal-arts-degree-studying slag