Why does music make us feel things?

Why does music make us feel things?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ObGlgJPCZj4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

So that we give the musician a coin.

because we are pussies

because of air compression, skin flapping, bone vibration and brain waves. am not a robot.

That is the how, but what is the function of music's emotional response?

it is cultural conditioning, you are learned to respond to music emotionally/ associate certain sounds with certain feelings. it is not instinctive imho

Humans having an emotional connection with music is not a culture universal? Thats like saying religion isn't universal cross-culturally.

t.Jordan B. Peterson

It induces useful mindsets. We use a certain type of music to workout, another for reflection, a third to seduce someone, and so on.

you can be sarcastic all you want but it's a straightforward answer to a straightforward question. I would be happy to hear your take on this matter

>lol everything is just cultural conditioning

when will this awful pseudo intellectual meme die?

I'm just saying that certain emotions can be provoked through the music of your culture, there is no doubt about this; slow acoustic music means melancholy, fast distorted guitars means high energy. This is certain.

But this doesn't answer my main question. The east and west may view music differently but why is it that music provokes an emotional response at all?

Not that user, but I did answer that question: Now, if you're wondering why organized sounds correspond to mindsets, I've no clue.

>feeling things

why does viper's music make me feel?

Hmm, on reflection, it might be an unintended consequence of the association between certain sounds and things like danger, proximity of a water source etc.

stupid answer is stupid

i always wonder how universal music is in transmitting an emotion.
the music itself plays a part which is kinda universal, but the lyrics as well, which aren't.
im curious what you guys think about this:
youtube.com/watch?v=ObGlgJPCZj4
its a very emotional song but its strength mainly comes from from the lyrics, which are in dutch.

Because your culture has taught you to feel things when you listen to music.

>proximity of a water source etc

*plop* *bassline*

bump

because we haven't mapped out the brain, hence all of our "knowledge" regarding what is happening when we feel anything is just a theory until we harvest red phosphorescence from a sea creature to finally do it.

>scientific topic
>imho
Holy fucking shit dude

Kek
>10.000 BC
>foraging for the tribe
>search for food near water
>Fishmans

What I know about bassy sounds, and why they make you move/dance is because in nature bassy sounds usually mean danger aka get away

Music is aesthetic. Highly organized music is almost unnatural or supernatural and it has a very exaggerated beauty to it that you don't necessarily find in the seemingly random sounds of nature.