Thoughts on new gorillaz

Thoughts on new gorillaz

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jkYSnYm-HKk
instagram.com/p/-8MCQfSvjH/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

it's mediocre.

Ayy it needs more damon

I dislike political music as much as the next guy (I think politics and art don't mix, politics needs more cold analysis, and art is all about feeling things), but I actually liked the song okay.

People are coming down on it extra hard and calling it a song that has the style of experimental music without the substance--but honestly it just sounds like a Scott Walker song. People are being extra buttmad and touchy because of the subject matter.

Yeah, agreed. Production wasn't too bad tho. I look forward to more.

The guest vocalist has an interesting voice, it could've been something, but it sounded pretty shapless desu. No real melody and kinda uninteresting

lacks a bit of fuck drumpf and fuck white people

i like it, got me hyped for Phase Four
PB>DD>s/t>TF

It's alright, but it's gonna be one of the songs on the album that I'm not going to listen to that often. They should've opened Phase 4 with something like Clint Eastwood, Feel Good, Inc, or Melancholy Hill.
This one's alright, but it doesn't have Damon as the lead vocalist, or the main cast. As the first song we hear out of Phase 4, it fucking sucks dick. As "a song on the album", it's fine.

I thought it was solid.

I'm a little disappointed they've hopped on a silly hype train that thinks tomorrow is the apocalypse.
I get that they've been political in the past, and it's never bothered me before. I'm not even a big supporter of Trump, it just feels like an incredible overreaction, and it diminishes my perception of how thoughtful and aware their music may be.

What happens when Trump isn't Hitler and Stalin and the KKK rolled into one?
Do we just keep playing the single on repeat?

I agree with this post 100%

If you haven't already you should listen to Clementine's own work

youtube.com/watch?v=jkYSnYm-HKk

It's really not very good, and the political message will date it in the future

The comment section of the Youtube video is full of people saying "Am I the only one who actually likes this?" Well apparently not since about 200 other people commented that!

>and yeah, I don't like the song at all

It's worth mentioning this is a standalone song, so it isn't actually part of Phase Four.

It's like if they had teased Demon Days with Don't get lost in Heaven or Fire Coming Out of a Monkey's Head... I love these songs in the context of the album but they aren't good singles.

I actually liked it instantly, it's really peaceful if ignoring the lyrics imo

It sounds like piss and political music is inherently garbage.

It's a decent song, but the "I hate Donny" meme ruins it.

boring production, no compelling melody, just all round a bit lame

source?

these, basically

This 100%, loved Plastic Beach but like... this isn't Plastic Beach anymore. I get Damon going for that ethereal vibe again, but the song just feels like it doesn't fit correctly. I want to hear the songs that are gonna stand out in phase four.

Exactly my rank. It hasn't got me hyped, tho, but I'm sure the album will be great.

Thisthisthis

What is viral marketing?

having a laff at youtube comments. gorillaz fans apparently don't like it because it's 'experimental', which makes sense because gorillaz is pretty fucking basic so anything remotely different from a rap track rocks their world. how the fuk is this track experimental at all?

That's kind of the nature of all protest music, unless you're Bob Dylan. Doesn't stop people from making it.

Love it. Has a demon days feel to it

This. It had a bunch of potential, but it was incredibly uninteresting with no melody - for me, it was too far away from the old Gorillaz I know and love.

I don't care that much if music is political, really, as long as it actually sounds good. And to me it sounded like the man was bleating like a goat with no real melody to back it. It was a disappointing song.

Boring. Bland. If their new album is this much of a plodder they should fuck back off

Didnt like it at first. Saw the sponge then i hated it

Too Sup Forumscore for me.

It grew on me quickly. I think the lyrics are quite appropriate. They are not apocalyptic at all, just addressing the new nationalist resurgence that evidently a few old gorillaz fans held dear. It's trying to humanize people in a time when a lot of people are trying desperately to do the opposite. It's pretty amazing how easily triggered trump fanboys are.

On my first listen I had it playing minimized and couldn't make out most of the lyrics and thus missed it's political message that seems to be pissing people off. All that said, I totally dig it.

I think art can have political tones just as long as it doesn't take itself too seriously.

user, the earliest forms of art were political. Look up the Menippean form.

Even if you were to disinclude what models art as we know it grew out of it, I find it a false dichotomy to say art = feelings, there are scores of examples, especially many regarded pieces of literature, which feature as a component a more critical lens.

good late night driving music

>I think politics and art don't mix
literally objectively wrong. like one of the most retarded things you can say. not an opinion anyone over 18 can be respected for holding.

It honestly grew fast on me after the first listen. I would love to hear more Damon & see more the characters themselfs. The music just ain't the same without Hewlett's genius artwork

user, I don't think that the video is as anti-trump as you think it is, or at least not in the way you've made out.

For one, it is not the KKK featured in the video but the Candelaria Brotherhood.

Second, the song, though it mentions notions of walls, isolationism, and fear of the other, also mentions more heavily what I think is a better and more pertinent criticism of Trump than comparing him to Hitler (which the song did not do) by addressing his idolatry of money.

I also think you and a lot of others are missing that the song seems also to be maybe not satirizing, but acknowledging the hypocrisy of artists (in this and many cases, rich ones) in expressing simplistic anti-Trump and, thus, anti-capitalist messages -- through an outlet which makes money. The song and video, though it suggests a bleak note, has also a hopeful undercurrent, and was prefaced by this tweet:

'Dark times - u need someone to look up to. Me. Here's a lightning bolt of truth in a black night. Now piss on!'

I don't think the song is as simplistic as it seems.

What am I listening to.

I liked the singer they tapped to do the main vocals but would have preferred more Albarn. Might look up that guy though, had a great voice.

:(

Though the track very soulful and whimsically powerful but shit like [attachment] really kills the vibe. If they would have posted this anytime that wasn't now I would have taken it as a generalized statement on political views which honestly would have been a whole lot more powerful of a statement. We get it a large amount of musicians and artists don't like trump, it's been said way too many times before. With that i'm hoping that this is just a filler track that they felt the need to put out and we can get an actual view of whats to come on this upcoming album. Really hoping that the Bowie rumor was true and we get a second blackstar.

Bowie rumor?

Nice point of virw user. Looking forward to the album

it's poetic and artsy i love it and it made me think.

i was feeling feels and i like when popular bands challenge the status quo rather than releasing only mindless bangers

absolutely loved it.
If they released an instrumental version of this, it would honestly sound like something from No Love Deep Web.

instagram.com/p/-8MCQfSvjH/

Basic, definitely mediocre. Not really catchy enough for me to listen to it on the regular.

not all art has to be catchy. idk why everyone is hating it on that basis. gorillaz have always been experimental.

>Donny
This is really sad

It's no Rhinestone Eyes.

It's a good song that will probably not be on the album.

People will realize that it's good after listening to it more than once and after they get over the fact that it's about Trump.

I can't be the only one who thinks Benjamin Clementine was great on it.

I think he has a very interesting voice, but I have listened to it over and over. I really want to like it. I still don't

It's doing exactly what they want it to do.

Touch a nerve and cause discussion about them.

Also really grew on me, don't know why everyone's acting like this sounds different, it sounds straight out of d sides.

Yeah but D-Sides came out a while ago and nobody listened to The Fall so people are likely unconsciously comparing it to Plastic Beach.

Yet these are the people bitching on social media that it doesn't sounds like "true gorillaz" and that they're "hardcore fans"

where's noodle

I mean, I get that people wanted a pop song. It's what they'll get with the album eventually. This is just timely marketing with the inauguration but I doubt the whole album is going to sound like Hallelujah Money.

There's been reports that the album is basically demon days 2.0, this song kinda makes me believe that it's gonna be exactly like demon days with updated messages.
And this one in particular is not actually part of the album, but I doubt the album doesn't at least partially sounds like this.

I will forever stand by my point on these people

Ever since I went to the Gorillaz concert years back, no one reacted to the animations they showed on screen, no reaction to the older stuff, half hearted applause for the more unique shit

Ohhhh, but when Dare hit and then Clint Eastwood right after everyone went fucking nuts for those two songs

Am I the only person who remembers people mad hating on Stylo back when it was the first song teased from PB? Then people warmed up to it a whole lot once it was in the context of the rest of the album. Hoping it's a similar thing that's gonna happen here.

>people hating on Stylo on release

That happened? The track and the video were both great, though

Doncamatic is probably a better analogy

Because regular people expect every song to be a DARE.
People that actually listen to them want good guest and other stuff, also, because albarn does a 180 on every album so people always get weirded out at first.

This. Just another Frankie Sinatra, guys.

he was amazing

>Calling someone wrong about something subjective like art
literally objectively wrong. like one of the most retarded things you can say. not an opinion anyone over 18 can be respected for holding.

if you only want bangers then go to a rave lol