Now that Scaruffi gave it a 8, is this officially Sup Forums core?

Now that Scaruffi gave it a 8, is this officially Sup Forums core?

It would be consistent with the quality of all the other mucore

Why not?

That's a great album regardless of what some critic says. Who cares if it's Sup Forumscore?

Are you in the wrong thread?

Doesn't look like it.

hell of an album fosho. BTBAM ftw

It's just that you said that Colors was a good album, which can't be right.

I remember this being a meme album on Sup Forums almost a decade ago tbqh.

Why is Colors NOT a good album?

I recalibrated it and it turns out what I said was completely true.

I'm tempted to say "everything", which might seem like a copout answer but it really does apply here.

It's boring, pedantic, shallow and is under the delusion that excessive camp and bombast can compensate for how contrived it is.

Hmmmm...okay. Well, I'm not you, so I can't really see how you came to that exact conclusion. But I disagree greatly with the idea that it's "contrived" or "shallow". I could see how you'd think certain songs are boring, but I don't see how the whole album can be boring.

As it went on it just wore on me more and more and I was struggling to stay focused on it. It's a melange of nothing, it's a soup of prog metal pedantry and listlessness. It's just so impotent and clinical I can't get invested in it.

Like what you like, sure, but sheesh.

>t. Someone who doesn't like any kind of metal or its sub genres in general

excessiveness, camp and bombast are always good though
perfectionism isn't really a bad thing either

alaska and, shit, the silent circus are both better metal albums imo

b-but scaruffi gave it an 8

Incorrect.

>excessiveness, camp and bombast are always good though
Not if you contextualise it properly, sure. But Colors doesn't.

I only backpedal for things he gives a 9 to

That's a lot of adjectives my guy.

But okay. I get it. I just think you were too intent on "figuring it out" or something. Like not being able to "focus" on the album...what are you trying so hard to focus on exactly? The guitar work? The song structure? The meaning behind them?

They definitely shift around a lot throughout the album, and there are weird little tangents and shit, but it just seamlessly flows from beginning to end. For me at least.

Scaruffi also thinks this album is an 8. So are we going to call it Sup Forumscore as well?

>It's just so impotent and clinical I can't get invested in it.
Whenever I think of "clinical" in regards to metal I think of comically sterile shit like Rings of Saturn that sounds borderline digitized. To each his own and all that but I find an album like Colors to be very investing rather than boring. Mix-and-matching a hodgepodge of genre sampling for the sake of it sounds like a fruitless ordeal because it is for most bands but if a band has enough solid ideas to make it work within the framework of the album then I think it can strike gold, and I think BtBaM are one of the few bands who do it seamlessly.

But again, to each his own.

>That's a lot of adjectives my guy.
Holy shit. I rarely get actually angry at something posted on mu. Even at the worst of times it's just opinion, so whatever, but this legitimately pissed me off right here. Seriously? Adjectives are out of bounds? Are you fucking kidding me? I always thought the "mu doesn't want to talk about music" thing was a meme but it's starting to become troublingly real.

Anyway, moving on...

>But okay. I get it. I just think you were too intent on "figuring it out" or something. Like not being able to "focus" on the album...what are you trying so hard to focus on exactly? The guitar work? The song structure? The meaning behind them?
Any and all of the above, I guess? I think about the music as I listen to it. But with this I found it incredibly difficult to. There was nothing to grab onto, nothing that caught my attention. It was all so dreary. I found my mind wandering. I'd be thinking about the last time I had a haircut and suddenly I noticed 15 minutes of the album had passed and I didn't retain a second of it.

>Whenever I think of "clinical" in regards to metal I think of comically sterile shit like Rings of Saturn that sounds borderline digitized.
Granted it isn't THAT bad. I wish I could ignore Rings of Saturn.

>Mix-and-matching a hodgepodge of genre sampling for the sake of it sounds like a fruitless ordeal because it is for most bands but if a band has enough solid ideas to make it work within the framework of the album then I think it can strike gold, and I think BtBaM are one of the few bands who do it seamlessly.
I don't think the genre plundering was meaningful or substantive. They took very superficial aspects of those styles and distilled it to fit into that same tecchy metalcore template.

Hahaha dude relax, I never said that adjectives were out of bounds. I just said that you used a lot.

Chill out man. Seriously.

But anyways, I think you were diving too deep into it. Listen to it as a whole. Don't try to pinpoint certain things to grab onto. Just take it in as a whole.

Or don't, I don't really give a fuck.

>But anyways, I think you were diving too deep into it. Listen to it as a whole. Don't try to pinpoint certain things to grab onto. Just take it in as a whole.
I tried to. But I could only perceive it on the periphery of my hearing. I wasn't listening to it. It just became ambient noise because there was nothing to appreciate.

>I don't think the genre plundering was meaningful or substantive. They took very superficial aspects of those styles and distilled it to fit into that same tecchy metalcore template.
Perhaps but they've always stayed true to metal more than anything else, and occasionally the breaks seem to be for little more than fun, like that bar country break near the end of AotS and they're short/sweet and don't detract from the song at all, but on other occasions it fits very well where it's unexpected and provides a different flavor to the song like that pseudo-waltz section in the middle of PttS.

So on the contrary I think they're one of a few bands who do it in a both meaningful and substantive way.

>give this album a try
>prequel to the sequel, nice instrumental in the beginning
>suddenly screaming shit

No thanks.

I always loved the drumming on this album

Did you start with that song?