How influential are Kraftwerk really, Sup Forums? Do they deserve the credit they get?

How influential are Kraftwerk really, Sup Forums? Do they deserve the credit they get?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hf7ukxGkhfw
youtube.com/watch?v=tw8-TlQBcBA
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/V-2_Schneider
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

yes

yeah probably.

Totally.

>listen to modern sythpop
>wouldn't sound out of place in a kraftwerk album
yes

They're literally the most influential artist of all time

absolutely

I would say yes, seeing as how the album you posted came out in 1978, and the production sounds as good as any album from the last few years.

Also consider that the most popular acts of the time were disco and lame rock like Rolling Stones.

Kraftwerk pretty much invented electronic music as we know it. Even modern hip-hop and pop music (the heavily electronic stuff) wouldn't exist without Kraftwerk

Yes, but their best album is secretly Tour de France Soundtracks

Yes, but not only them. A bunch of other krautrock/progressive electronic/berlin school artists from the 70s also had a massive influence on modern electronic music.
Tangerine Dream, Klaus Schulze, Cluster, Harmonia, Ashra and Ash Ra Tempel, Manuel Gottsching, Popol Vuh, and that's only for electronic music.

youtube.com/watch?v=hf7ukxGkhfw

they also invented doom
youtube.com/watch?v=tw8-TlQBcBA

so they ruined music according to your post

Is this a real question

I tried getting into them a time or two about fifteen years ago. The little things I tried didn't stick, and I didn't pursue it.

Still, I knew that they were THERE, somehow, this big mythical thing in the background. I had the vague idea of the OP's image, and basic techno-music. I didn't pursue it further.

Lately (the past year), I've looked them up, and now the importance clicks. This is music for popping and locking. This is Robot Rock. This is a modern performance art-piece. Stuff like that.

I suspect, naive as I am, that they were hugely influential to early hip hop culture. I leave that with the thread.

What I find dismaying is that the re-issued albums now commonly available in American stores, don't generally have the original album covers. blech.

Kraftwerk are still not a band that I personally HUGELY like, but at least now I get the meme. I do like the "Numbers" track, though (look it up!)

That's Black Sabbath, but yeah holy shit this is amazing. I love Kraftwerk and I can't believe I haven't heard this one until now.

Get this hot head out of here

They are pretty influential that's for sure, though not necessarily in ways people think.

Most rhythm oriented form of electronic music that we often call /bleep/ here on Sup Forums owes most of its existence to dub music. Most abstract forms of electronic music that we call /bloop/ here on Sup Forums owes its existence to Stockhausen, Klaus Schulze, Tangerine Dream, Brian Eno, etc.

Kraftwerk's legacy is one of synthesizer usage in poppy formats. Not the kind of whoozy background sounds space rock did, or prog's virtuoso technicality, or the abstract playing of early ambient. In the end their influence is more on electro and its subgenres (electro pop, electro funk, electro house, electro boogie) and synthpop plus the music it influenced (synthwave, progressive trance, most pop music with electronic stuff that isn't electro pop.)

Don't forget New Wave and Psot Punk dude

Definitely. Their albums I'd consider most influential would be: Ralf & Florian, Autobahn. They were even influential to Bowie, who made a tribute track for Florian Schneider called "V-2 Schneider" on his album "Heroes".
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/V-2_Schneider

Detroit Techno