The posiblities for space exploration

>USA spends $600B on military and only $18.5B on NASA a year
Just imagine the possiblities for NASA or some private space company if they had the military budget.

Someone actually made a video about it:
youtu.be/chLOgj8xjx8

>Apollo mission costed 136B over 13 years
>Could be achieved in under 1 year with the military budget

>If you count all satellites, probes and telescopes, it took the USA 10-20 years to put them all in place
>Would've only take 1-2 years with the military budget

>International space station costed $100B over 10 years
>Once again, couldve been done in under a year

>With over $600B per year, it would be possible to make cool moon bases, asteroid mining and send probes to other planets.
>Mars could be inhabited by over 40.000 people in 10 years

We need a new cold war.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_asteroid_close_approaches_to_Earth
neo.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news130.html
science.howstuffworks.com/asteroid-nuclear-bomb.htm
pbs.org/wgbh/nova/next/space/asteroid-detection-and-deflection/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Shit, I forgot the only thing Sup Forums cares about is traps and how white a country is.

hte way to start a new space race is for one country to claim territories in space

we need space empires

I'd rather invest in life extension research than sending some bald guy to the moon.

Or a younger brain dead clone body of myself, that I can transfer my brain into.

I never got this "space exploration" meme. Why the fuck should I care about space exploration?

What is gained when a person steps foot on Mars? It would cost hundreds of billions, we would not learn ANYTHING we don't already know, and that money could be spent on things like medicine research which actually has real world applications.

If you're lucky, you'll live to 80 years. Within that time frame, space exploration will teach you nothing cool. Within 80 years, you will be confined to the solar system. We already know a lot about the solar system, and everything we don't can be learned from sending robots instead of humans, which is much cheaper and easier.

>no economic assets are protected
>free trade is unable to occur
>capitalism fails

but we have another american on the moon!

yes korea would get fucked

theres nothing to discuss here, all that is correct, fuck humanity, chinas our only hope

Life is only fun for like 60 years, after that you become weak, ugly and old.
No thank you.

How about we cut military spending by half, triple NASA's budget, and then use what's left to pay off the debt.

Well luckily for you wide eyed space dreamers we elected Donald Trumps and NASA's back in action

Specifically the adiminstration wants to search for life on Europa but they've also been playing with the idea of starting the journey to Mars. Congressman Culberman who is in charge of billions of funds is supposedly working on such things right now

Because there is always a possibility of earth getting hit by an asteroid, the only way we can keep our race alive is by colonizing other planets.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_asteroid_close_approaches_to_Earth

Asteroid mining and mars colonies won't save Earth from any environmental/economic catastrophe.

You shouldn't accept aging as a fact. It's been proven that a lot of effects of aging can be reversed on rats by blood transfusions by younger rats for example.

And you have crabs that don't age at all.

>we would not learn ANYTHING we don't already know
We dont know a thing. We dont even know whats inside the core of our planet.
Do you even know about he valuable resources you can get from asteroids?

Explain

What if we pretended to spend hundreds of billions of dollars on NASA to trick China into actually spending hundreds of billions of dollars on their space program to compete?

If the earth will get hit by a sizable asteroid, we will know years in advance because there are research institutes that keep track of the orbits of NEOs (Near Earth Objects), look up the so-called Spaceguard.

It would then be much, much cheaper and much more feasible to destroy those asteroids years before they'll impact the earth then it would be to somehow plan the massive exodus of billions of people from the earth to another moon or planet.

>We dont even know whats inside the core of our planet.
I doubt that.
>Do you even know about he valuable resources you can get from asteroids?
Yeah, that can be retrieved by robots for example. No use of sending men.

What if you make all the battleships large plastic shells around a small speedboat.

And then scare Russia with very fast warships.

I think it's more about pushing the limit of what the human race is capable off. People working towards a goal with a height never seen before an succeeding. It's just inspiring.

>we will know years in advance because there are research institutes that keep track of the orbits of NEOs
And from this point, i knew that you have no idea what you're talking about.
Ever heard of 2002NM?

And we really don't know whats in the core of our planet, we have theories but not with 100% certainty. 95% of the oceans on our planet have never been seen with human eyes.

2002MN*
neo.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news130.html

We need a technocratic world government

Mars is a 100% useless moneysink.
Asteroid mining can only produce a limited variety of resources and as such only benefit certain modes of production, and the benefits will likely fall into the pockets of a marginal elite whose wasteful operations and indifferent management are why we have problems in the first place.

Sure it's inspiring, but that's not a good argument. It's not worth spending many billions on.
Yeah, it's clear that YOU actually do not know what you're talking about. We can and do track NEOs and we'll be able to tell if one will hit us many years, if not decades beforehand. You're clearly not a physics student if you think that is not possible or even hard with current technology.

I just gave you proof of an unseen asteroid that was closer to earth than the moon.
Why are dutch people so fucking stupid, I swear I've never had a decent discussion with one in my life

The moon race lead to a huge spark in development of new technology. Giving people a goal that they believe in and they will be much better workers. The goal might not be worth the billions but the development that occurs alongside it can be.

>June 19, 2002

Are you a fucking retard? Do you know the amount of technological progress that has happened since 2002? Probably not, since you live in some random backwater Eastern European shithole.

Also

>its future motion can be computed several decades into the future.

In 2002. Read your own article.

So investing in better monitoring facilities would be enough to completely nullify the threat of asteroids. What does that have to do with manned space travel, you Russian piece of shit? Nothing.

The best thing is not responding to the eternal Dutch.

This is how you make a Dutch argument in a discussion:
>Add as much ad hominem as possible
>Provide no source or proof whatsoever

In 2002 they also thought that they were able to spot any ansteroid. Also, you previously said that we can just simply destroy any astroid coming for us, you do realize that destroying an astroid will just turn it into more smaller ones?
science.howstuffworks.com/asteroid-nuclear-bomb.htm

we're never safe of asteroids idiot.
sure, we can spot 99% of them, but spotting them isn't everything.
pbs.org/wgbh/nova/next/space/asteroid-detection-and-deflection/

>This is how you make a Dutch argument in a discussion:

Except you (the Russian piece of shit) starting ad hominem'ing me before I even mentioned you were a Russian rape-baby, so try again, you filthy hypocrite.
>In 2002 they also thought that they were able to spot any ansteroid.
Did they? Post a peer-reviewed article from 2002 or before where they stated that they could spot any asteroid.
>Also, you previously said that we can just simply destroy any astroid coming for us,
No, I didn't (you Russian piece of shit), I said it would be much cheaper and much more feasible to destroy an asteroid than it would to evacuate billions of people from the earth to another planet. That is a statement that is so true and so logical that it should not be controversial to anyone, but perhaps the Russian rape-baby disagrees.
>you do realize that destroying an astroid will just turn it into more smaller ones?
Much smaller ones would at least eliminate it as an existential threat, and in any case, redirecting the course of the asteroid in another way would still be much cheaper and much more feasible than literally evacuating BILLIONS OF PEOPLE TO ANOTHER PLANET, you fucking Russian scum.

>this fucking post
hahah holy shit how angry can one man be while posting

I never said that we had to evacuate everyone to a different planet, lol.
Colonizing other planet means that our race won't disappear if a doomsday scenario would occur.

Calm down lol