What was pre 60's music like besides classical and jazz?

What was pre 60's music like besides classical and jazz?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wufMB2bhHkE
youtube.com/watch?v=PoN3lPyv0V8
youtube.com/watch?v=LmKhSf7G0U0
youtu.be/H3FNLnFg6Ck
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

no jews

1900 beethoven invents music

Well lots of great blues and country for one if we're talking America

Godawful traditional pop

appalachian folk a best

Bluegrass
Rockabilly
Rock and Roll
Swing
Traditional Pop
Classic country

dubs confirm

dude what the fuck are you on a lot of traditional pop and doo-wop was great

>it's old so it's good

Could you recommend some?

Nobody said that, it's just good and you suck

no it isn't

i just said it's good, not that it's good because it's old, pull your tongue out of the light socket dude. era had Johnny Cash, Elvis, Chuck Berry, etc.

a lot of the stuff i like is because i think it does melodically-driven pop music in such a sincere way that it straddles an almost creepy line. stuff like Johnny Mathis' "Wonderful, Wonderful", Dion's "The Wanderer" i think really exemplifies this vibe for me. as i'm writing this i'm realizing a lot of it does bleed into the early 60's, like Roy Orbison for example, but the 57-63 era was imo great for straight-up pop and girl group. If you wanna check it out there's a great box set called "Girl Group Sounds" that captures a lot of what's great about that period. A lot of the pop country of the time like Patsy Cline really evokes that for me too, so maybe check that out if any of this grabs you at all (which, if it doesn't, stop listening; it all sounds pretty much the same).

don't know enough pretty much about the 20's - 50's. not satisfied with my grip on the 70s-80s either but i like listening to rock'n roll albums from the 50s like fats domino jerry lee lewis little richard and chuck berry and girl groups from the 50s but dont know much about it as a whole i just listen to records i find from the era of course i love gershwin and ella fitzgerald iunno its spotty like i haven't lived it you know like its easy to live in the 60s and 70s for a while i think

top 10 posts ive ever seen on Sup Forums

Quality post thank you

:)

This is from the 70s you dolt

god damn it

A lot of really great stuff to discover in Tin Pan Alley and Great American Songbook.

Blues

Howlin' Wolf had yo momma thinking about getting blacked.

>ITT: americentrism at it's finest

>muh african doowop swing

on of my favourites
youtube.com/watch?v=wufMB2bhHkE

A bit spooky but also quite cosy

so spooky i can't even hear it

Skiffle

unironically good post user.
there's a program on my local college radio i've listened to for years that does 40's-50's pop and rock and i almost always enjoy it.
it's weird, i'm usually into much more louder intense music, but as a drummer the old pop, blues, and especially r&b drummers are top tier in their feel.

I'm not that guy but the Tin Pan Alley era is one of the greatest iterations of American pop music, rivaling the 60's. Billy Murray, Arthur Collins, Ruth Etting are great as well as early crooners like Gene Austin.

youtube.com/watch?v=PoN3lPyv0V8
youtube.com/watch?v=LmKhSf7G0U0

Meghan Trainor

Hey man I appreciate the recommendations that box set was great

Rad thanks so much, looking forward to checking these ones out!

>Obviously never heard of George and Ira Gershwin Leonard Bernstein to name but three jews

youtu.be/H3FNLnFg6Ck

Awesome. More compilations to check?

Nancy Sinatra > Frank Sinatra

well, talk about non-american muisc then

are you like those stupid faggots who walk into a grocery store in tennessee and expect the clerk to speak spanish

Actually, it was 1910.

my fav

Abner Jay

blues
rock n roll
rockabilly
modernist

>it's weird, i'm usually into much more louder intense music, but as a drummer the old pop, blues, and especially r&b drummers are top tier in their feel

That's the thing--plenty of those guys were loud and intense, but the recording technology of the time couldn't capture it. Big band recordings would require the drummer to play on wooden blocks because it wasn't possible to record drums in the 78 era.

Lots of really bland "great American songbook" pop standards that all use the same 5 chords.

Also "crooners".