youtube.com/watch?v=MSEQZ8reJA4
youtube.com/watch?v=dEFvI-Tmezo
youtube.com/watch?v=QvYLHG86Iwo
youtu.be/AUR0ALUsnV4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

dude i hate my life lmao

XBOX

my xbox is a god to me

Well, if you ask me, it'd have to be Neutral Milk Hotel's In The Aeroplane Over The Sea. Such a beautiful album. It's a shame it's so underrated here.

shit is right

>memes about the lyrics

But seriously, that drumming in Anesthetize.
Overall it's a great fucking album. My Ashes is underrated. Great ballad.

Stop using iPods

>listens to No Quarter once

F A U L T Y W I R I N G

holy shit

This album sucks.

Steven Wilson never called himself 'prog rock'; he got given the title. He was always just a really good songwriter who used different styles to good effect.

Examples: youtube.com/watch?v=En9ibmBvPJI

youtube.com/watch?v=h8WglDgOsgA

Just beautiful songs.

Actually, they're both piano ballads, but whatever. They're fucking great.

His best piano ballad is Collapse the Light into Earth

The drums could've been played by god himself, the lyrics would still ruin it.

>caring about lyrics in prog

Why not listen to Bob Dlan Nick Cave or Leonard Cohen instead

I'll agree with you there. There was a time where I couldn't help but tear up at it.

ignoring lyrics is for fucking plebs

also, everyone who says shit like this will still admit to being annoyed by the lyrics in other songs

What PT album is the best and why is it Stupid Dream?

>Not Lightbulb Sun

It's up there too, i like Stupid Dream more tho

I will admit, Stupid Dream does have Even Less which is my fav PT song.

The 14 minute version on Recordings is superior though

Good album, bad lyrics (at times). Anesthetize is probably one of the best songs of his career.

youtube.com/watch?v=MSEQZ8reJA4

He rejected the prog label at first, but accepted it once he realized how big the modern prog market was. There are a lot of people out there who will not listen to anything unless it's labeled as prog. He's as much influenced by psychedelia, post-punk, shoegaze, jazz fusion, krautrock, electronica, trip hop, post-rock and even industrial rock as he is prog. And there's a huge pop sensibility there, too (I believe Prince and David Bowie were his favourite artists).

I think one of the most eye-opening things I've seen was the comments section of an interview in which he said he mostly listens to electronic music, and the comments were just autists going on about how electronic music isn't real music. It's kinda hard to appreciate SW's music if you can't appreciate electronic music - it just makes me think a lot of his fans (and modern prog fans in general) are just plebs who only listen to stuff if it's called prog and have no real sincere interest or understanding of the music, they just want to be seen as """intellectual""" prog fans.

But he's definitely benefited from the label in terms of album sales. But by embracing the prog community recently he's also made himself an easy target for places like Sup Forums who automatically dismiss anything with the prog label. Two sides of the same coin, I guess - people who just view music in terms of genre labels.

Insurgentes is one of the best albums of the 2000s and Signify is one of the best of the 90s. I really don't care what genre they should be considered, because they blend a lot of sounds. And his side projects, especially IEM, No-Man and Storm Corrosion, are fantastic.

I'd liken him to Omar Rodriguez Lopez - just a more serious and much less "cool" version. There's a huge variety to their music, but they just get labeled as prog by lazy plebs.

I think what I find most hilarious is that Steven now has an Instagram and most of his catalogue is on Spotify since he was such a fucking shitter about all that for years.

Anyways, I'm really partial to the period between Signify and In Absentia and the B-sides from that era, especially Recordings and Ambulance Chasers for the extended version of Even Less

I should also say,
No-Man is the best SW project

>that cover

Yeah, he's lightened up a bit. I think he's just trying to reach a wider audience. And I think recently he said he played a few Prince songs on tour after he died, and realized lots of people in the audience didn't recognize them, and that changed his stance on streaming.

That's my favourite period of PT as well. When they started to get out of space rock, but didn't have the metal influence yet.

Alright take the original cover then.
I thought The Pineapple Thief was basically a SW tribute band from what I've listened to of them but I could be speaking out of ignorance

What a fucking infantile statement.

I just find it funny how they cppied that cover
Thety are basically PT + Radiohead, decent but not great

>I think one of the most eye-opening things I've seen was the comments section of an interview in which he said he mostly listens to electronic music, and the comments were just autists going on about how electronic music isn't real music. It's kinda hard to appreciate SW's music if you can't appreciate electronic music - it just makes me think a lot of his fans (and modern prog fans in general) are just plebs who only listen to stuff if it's called prog and have no real sincere interest or understanding of the music, they just want to be seen as """intellectual""" prog fans.

yea as a fan this is really weird to me. especially since if you listen to a lot of his stuff, especially the early albums like Up the Downstair & The Sky Moves Sideways it's really obvious that he takes a lot of influence from the whole ambient techno thing that was going on back then. I know he often cites his love for BoC and I think he must be a fan of Aphex, Orbital, The Orb, Global Communication etc

Speaking of tours, I got to see him around The Raven That Refused To Sing tour, but christ he's really milking the surge in popularity with the costs of his recent tours.

I went and saw the Aristocrats in an intimate venue instead for about a fourth of the price and literally half of the talent of his touring band from the previous year.

I think a lot of Sup Forums doesn't like him because he kind of exposes the uncool truth about what "music is my life" actually means. He's clearly totally obsessed to consuming and creating music, to the point that he's sacrificed relationships and having a family. All the money he makes goes straight into his next project. And there really is no image there at all - if he cut his hair he'd look like an accountant.

Steven Wilson shows Sup Forums how successful their autistic obsession with music could make them if they had an ounce of drive or passion, and it terrifies them. Better to just laugh at his nerdy fanbase and meme his questionable lyrics.

Agree, it's impressive how he managed to build a status of king of modern prog over the years, he remasters accalimed albums and has top tier musicians play with him.

It terrifies me that someone who was involved with TMV can have a job in music at all

>but christ he's really milking the surge in popularity with the costs of his recent tours.
Isn't this more to do with the stage show that comes with it now? Also the last couple of times I saw him I thought it cost like 20-25 quid, not exactly unreasonable imo when Radiohead tickets are like £70

How was Steven involved with The Mars Volta

this. it's also the sincerity that triggers a lot of people, I think. Sup Forums (and millennial audiences in general) like to hide behind irony, and his music really doesn't lend itself to that attitude at all. for better or worse, his music has been very serious since the mid-90s

what?

This whole thing about his lyrics, it's either simply trolling for the sake of it or people have problems with lyrics that rhyme. Sure, not all of his lyrics are great or on the level of Dylan, Reed, but I don't think that every musician is capable of writing Bob Dylan level lyrics and making them work in non-folk contexts. That doesn't imply that they shouldn't try to better themselves in that regard. Songs sometimes benefit from having "straight to the point" lyrics. Here's an example of Steven Wilson's lyrics I'd assume there are no objections to:

Out at the train tracks I dream of escape
But a song comes onto my iPod
And I realize it's getting late

I can't take the staring and the sympathy
And I don't like the questions,
"How do you feel?"
"How's it going in school?"
"Do you wanna talk about it?"

Way out, way out of here
Fade out,
Fade out, vanish

I'll try to forget you
And I know that I will
In a thousand years
Or maybe a week

I'll burn all your pictures
Cut out your face

The shutters are down and the curtains are closed
And I've covered my tracks
Disposed of the car

And I'll try to forget even your name
And the way that you look when you're sleeping,
And dreaming of this

Way out, way out of here
Fade out,
Fade out, vanish

You're absolutely right.

I think Steven finally caved to Spotify because guys like Prince didn't. Despite his huge popularity, a lot of millennials said a big fat "who?" when he died because he stopped making his catalog accessible to younger generations

Is he, dare I say it, /ourguy/?

Oh shit, I didn't see which sums up what I said much better

Quite so

>He said iPod so it's bad
is the response I'm expecting

>tfw tired of facebook

I guess you're right. Let's wait and see. To be honest, I'm not really expecting any reasonable responses.

It's likely.
The prices may just be a bit higher in the states on average. I remember the tickets being closer to 40-50 USD when I was looking, but you're right, it's still not much compared to the superstars, and so much easier to get a ticket to.

I'm not sure if it's related, but as I was typing my previous response:

>having to fripp as a guest
>record 2 tracks with him
>leaving the one with the guitar for the ep

yes but he recently deleted some albums of porcupine tree and he leaved just me most popular ones

Hand Cannot Erase is the best thing he's ever released desu

I'm glad he introduced more people including me to Guthrie Govan, he's an absolute top tier guitarist.

I think the live album Anesthetize (which has FoaBP in full on it) is better, but yeah - this is great.

And the memes about the lyrics are fucking stupid. He' uses modern things as references for his messages - how awful.

In all seriousness, I don't understand what the problem is with mentioning facebook, xbox, iPods and whatever. If you're going to make music about social isolation, and just modern life in general, it's almost weirder not to mention them. Are people just upset because the lyrics are too sincere it hits too close to home? Are they just defensive because they've completely misinterpreted the lyrics and think he's saying those things are inherently bad? I don't get it. I'm not even defending his lyrics, I just find it weird that this is the thing people take issue with.

idk but i've played this like 1000 times
youtube.com/watch?v=dEFvI-Tmezo
I'm pretty hyped

His next album features Ninet on a lot more songs, which makes me excited.

Did anyone listen to the new Blackfield album? I thought it was ok

Do you know when his next album is supposed to be released?

She sounds really good on that clip, didn't really get the buzz about her before this

I liked it.

7.5/10

It's my current album of the year.

No idea, i'm eagerly awaiting any info about it

Holy shit is that a lackluster selection on Spotify.
>Features the Incident but not FoaBP

>Are people just upset because the lyrics are too sincere it hits too close to home?
Possibly. Misinterpretation could be another reason, as you said. People often describe him as a whiny, depressed, overly melancholic and are generally surprised to find that the exact opposite is true. Or simply - trolling.

Armada is that you?

Dang, that gives me another reason to never use Spotify

>Not owning physical releases of your favorite artists anyways

Spotify foots the bill over 90% of the time. In general I have not had a problem with it's use and it has a lot of artists/releases I wouldn't be able to legally find otherwise, surprisingly with a lot of black metal.

>tfw Steven will never make another Insurgentes

why is better?

Nope, just another longtime infrequent visitor to the site.

Who is Armada?

Who knows what his next album is going to be. Maybe it could be a combination of Insurgentes and Hand. Cannot. Erase.

I love Up the Downstair and Signify, why are their early albums so underrated?

>muh Gavin Harrison

Gav is better for their technical new albums, but Chris was better for their early ones

Clearly, I think some people just might put a little bit too much focus on the

more technical == better bandwagon

Funny because PT were one of the least technical modern prog bands

FoaBP a metal album more than a rock album, but there were many times in the studio version that it could've benefited from a bit more heaviness and distortion. Anesthetize brought that punch that it needed.

Also I think John Wesley handled the high vocals much better than Steven Wilson did. Just listen to him on "Half-light." Holy goddamn.

True, but in regard to Gavin joining the band there was a marked shift in relative technicality and a greater focus around the drums.
youtube.com/watch?v=QvYLHG86Iwo

So when is PT reunion happening?

I would say around 2020

Steven Wilson doesn't think so.
youtu.be/AUR0ALUsnV4

So pretty much never

It's not like he's retired from bring a musician.

Does he play still play PT songs tho?

I don't speak for anyone else, but I find the use of those specific things (iPods, XBox, Facebook, whatever) a little silly and really lends itself to sounding really dated in a couple decades. Not that that's inherently a bad thing, but 20 years from now, it'll be something new that an artist like Wilson will point at as a statement on social isolation. OK Computer managed to convey those same themes of alienation without having to resort to such references. Plus, I don't know, it just seems way too heavy-handed and in-your-face about it.

This is coming from someone who really enjoys Wilson's work btw

He played Lazarus and Sleep Together when I saw him

I saw him do Radioactive Toy a few years ago. He also did Trains, Don't Hate Me, Dark Matter, Sound of Muzak, and Open Car scattered throughout the HCE tour

people are REALLY fuckin stupid

This is the most reasonable argument about his lyrical content I've heard. I haven't listened to Radiohead yet, so I can't comment on their message, but he should really consider what you've pointed out. People will always resonate and relate to Dylan's messages, because they're universal and timeless.

Grass is really green. That makes as much sense in a thread with almost 100 replies while quoting no one as what you've just said.

When I saw him he played HCE almost in its entirety so he didn't play much else

This was more during the second leg and during his RAH shows

this is the type of music kids point to when old dads says rock music is dead

I enjoy listening to Fear of a Blank Planet because I think it sounds good, but then the lyrical writing still makes me laugh slash cringe a little bit in a way but then I don't think his actual point/content is far off the mark in terms of technology, depression, and apathy, even if it's very heavy handed... tl;dr I don't know how to feel

Great original opinion!

>tl;dr I don't know how to feel
Take arguments presented in these posts into consideration:

Also, Normalize > Sentimental IMO

>Normalize

*Normal

First time I see a post where people are NOT whining about SW's lyrics.