/prod/ ~ Music Production GENERAL

Old one over 300
>Production Resources:
>Pastebin - Links, books, videos, articles, tutorials and stuff
pastebin.com/pYGCLu6q

>/prod/ wiki - still looking for contributors
mu-sic-production.wikia.com
There's a severe lack of DAW descriptions in the wiki. If you're good with your tool of choice, consider writing a paragraph about it.

/prod/ IRC is up!
To join, you can go torizon.net/chat
Choose a nick, put #/prod/ as channel. Enter!
Or you can get a lightweight desktop client herehexchat.github.io/downloads.html

Remember to use clyp.it to post your tracks/WIP: posting a clyp.it is just providing sound for a question, posting a Soundcloudlink is making self-advertisement and the thread doesn't need that.

Remember to check other peoples' clyp.it links to keep the thread healthy.

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/cxqmunqn
clyp.it/jadu4j5a
clyp.it/1phhnpyu
mediafire.com/file/c430nos59pmo6fi/SM47_-_Synthwave.rar
mediafire.com/file/n7taj0im9axn6fj/pl0440_acid_wav_synthwave_87233.zip
mediafire.com/file/495fm04ggaiu3h3/KB6.rar
clyp.it/l3m4inxu
masterclass.com/classes/deadmau5-teaches-electronic-music-production?utm_source=Paid&utm_medium=Facebook&utm_term=Aq-Prospecting&utm_content=Link&utm_campaign=DM
clyp.it/sn332q0i
clyp.it/ac5ae1gu
clyp.it/wk5btr0a
clyp.it/buijzyd2
youtube.com/watch?v=JSE_-IQocN4
warmplace.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1223
clyp.it/cmgfeg1k
youtube.com/watch?v=M2AEex59eVM
clyp.it/1k0j1lyz
clyp.it/uzuoxe5q
clyp.it/0ju3jjed
youtube.com/watch?v=XKX1Fu6JyZ4
djglostick.bandcamp.com/track/secret-banger
clyp.it/vi4z1bt0
youtube.com/watch?v=W8a2sB9bCqk
clyp.it/wjdw4lmn
clyp.it/04cqufbz
clyp.it/5muvnch0
soundcloud.com/mxxxkshapiro/sssometimesiplayguitar
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

That's a badass picture of Masami

Hey guys, I've been practicing using FL and making trap/cloud rap beats.
Do you think distorted shit like this would sell?
clyp.it/cxqmunqn

The melody is very nice and I love how the small bell goes with the first bass. The first bass seems to clash with the sub a bit though.

clyp.it/jadu4j5a
I think this is coming along pretty good as a genre exercise, but how is it as a song in general? Boring?

The rising pitch on the sub bassline is a cool idea but feels a little distracting, maybe don't go up quite as high?

How the hell do you get shit to sound like this? Almost like it's underwater but not really at the same time.
>clyp.it/1phhnpyu

Also, for the user that request those sample packs in the last thread, I don't guess you saw them so here you go:
>mediafire.com/file/c430nos59pmo6fi/SM47_-_Synthwave.rar
>mediafire.com/file/n7taj0im9axn6fj/pl0440_acid_wav_synthwave_87233.zip
>mediafire.com/file/495fm04ggaiu3h3/KB6.rar

That last one is just a big collection of samples from vintage drum kits. If anyone else has a specific genre of sample pack they want, let me know.

This is pretty dope, man. Only things I'd change would be to make the main melody a little less "stiff" and pull down the 808 pitch bend a bit. Nice rhythms, would groove again.
I really like the syncopated drums here, the melody gets a little repetitive though. But it's nice to see some experimental-ish work here too.

clyp.it/l3m4inxu
Experimenting with vocaloids and harmonies, work in progress. Would love some critique and help with genre classification~

Thanks for the samples breh, downloaded the synthwave pack and am looking forward to using it.

To do stuff underwater like that clip, there are a few things you could do. A low pass filter will generally give a kind of "submerged" feeling, and a very wet (heh) reverb will give the dispersion that sound has in more viscous fluids

Might be less distracting once someone raps over it, but you're right.
The synths are too repetitive and sound pretty goofy. The drum and the samples are really good on the other hand.

Thanks a lot! The drums are samples and the synths I made myself, so I feel lile that's where the problem is... Do you mean all of them or just the brighter ones in the first part?

>tfw still trash on fl studio

All of the synths. I'm no production expert, all I can say it could be a bit darker

Where can i download the DeadMau5 Masterclass? Is it worth buying it?

masterclass.com/classes/deadmau5-teaches-electronic-music-production?utm_source=Paid&utm_medium=Facebook&utm_term=Aq-Prospecting&utm_content=Link&utm_campaign=DM

I had already tried both, but it still didn't have that underwater feel.

I made this a while back and managed to get the underwater thing down pretty well but I can't seem to make chords like in the first clyp.
>clyp.it/sn332q0i

I think I kinda figured it out. A subtle phaser on the chords. There's probably more too it but I'm getting closer.

do you guys generally construct your own sounds? or do you use presets and already processed samples

bump

I have 1st gen KRK V8 monitors

Should I keep then or upgrade to something better?

Is an Argosy Halo worth the money?

I usually find a preset that I like and then modify it a shit load until I REALLY like it. As far as basses go, I always make mine from scratch.

On that first synth, automate the cutoff and resonance. Just map them to some knobs and do a pass where you tweak them both. It will really "de-cheese" that cheap opening synth.

Just some slight movement.

I want to make a HNW album but know how easy it is to do and the feeling of being a hack is holding me back.

Wrote this song for Radio play .

Need opinions.

Oops . Here's the link
clyp.it/ac5ae1gu

is this ok so far
clyp.it/wk5btr0a

i feel like theres a lot of unpleasant high frequencies that are distracting me

>I usually find a preset that I like and then modify it a shit load until I REALLY like it.
same, i rarely start from 'initialize sound' or w/e. usually find a preset w/n the ballpark of sound i want and then kind of figure out how 2 alter so it fits in w/ current sounds and mood that i want

So I'm trying to make a "whip-like" kick. Maybe use a reverse delay?

Anyways, here's something I'm doing. Hope you like house.
clyp.it/buijzyd2

youtube.com/watch?v=JSE_-IQocN4

ONE OF MY BEST BEATS OF ALL TIME

here it is

future 2k-3k play song too

do you get people to rap over your trax?

Needs alot of work .
Not much of a beat as much as a part of a beat.
Build on it .

need advice on how to make beautiful organic music like Arca

pls give me views

Any good tutorials on SunVox? Or is it even worth using.

can you rephrase your statement?

αδερφέ μου δεν είναι άσχημο το kομμάτι, υπάρχουν μεριkά θέματα με το sound design kαι τη μίξη, τα drums σου δεν kόβουν kαλά μέσα στη μίξη kαι οι περισσότεροι ήχοι όπως το pluck kαι το supersaw αkούγονται kάπως φτηνοί, με αρkετές sub kαι high συχνότητες που δεν χρειάζονται. αν είχε kαλύτερο engineering θα το άkουγα στο ράδιο desu senpai

bro I love this, way too trippy and cool, just a bit too muddy and the drums get a bit lost in the whole cloud

it's way too quiet, not totally digging all the drum samples, the groove you have going on is good, the pad can be brought up a bit as well. needs more variation and more things going on on top of it.

it's pretty ok, but I think it's missing a snare

Arca is mindfuck music, you HAVE to go crazy with your plugins, synths and samples and try shit that hasn't been tried before. for starters, get to know your plugins.

warmplace.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1223

it's a cool gadget not gonna lie, but you don't really need it for anything unless you wanna make music on your phone

Is there a VST that can achieve similar effects on bass sounds like Fruity Vocodex?

slice into the mids of that synth, they're obscuring everything of the vocal melody which seems nice

clyp.it/cmgfeg1k
reposting something I didn't get feedback on
tried making a beat, do you think it's too messy? is the eqing good?

mvp
i only use it on my phone like said. imo trackers are kind of inconvenient. i find the modular aspect of sunvox pretty cool, and it does sound good to be honest, but it's not the most user friendly DAW. as far as tutorials go, there are a bunch on yt, the guy who made it (zolotov? i think) has uploaded some w/o any talking in it. it's honestly not hard to get the hang of sunvox once you just start using it

Looks like there's a VST version of Vocodex
Never mind then

probably, a lot of Skrillex's shit sounds exactly like Vocodex and I know he doesn't use that.
I'm pretty sure you can use FM8 as a vocoder and get even gnarlier sounds that still sound robotic and shit.

it's not bad but it doesn't have flavor at all, like, it's like a really really bland dish that I forget about eating it the second after. there's nothing wrong with it mix wise or anything like that, it's just that the idea isn't good.

exactly, you should definitely get into producing with a DAW tho, the possibilities there are endless

Anyone here good at FM synthesis? I need your help.

I'm reading 'The Complete DX7' and there's an exercise for creating a delayed attack. It tells me to set levels 1 and 2 to 0, then set rate 2 to 40 for a delayed, but instant attack.

Yet when I change the rate to 40, it's not delayed. There is obviously a typo here and the author must have got something mixed up. Does anyone know what instruction here is a typo?

For that money you could get one custom built, I learned the hard way not to order desks like that.

And just looking at the angle of those racks I can tell it would be shit, you'd have to hunch over and hurt your back to do tweaking and you wouldn't be comfortable enough to do a good job. They never build these right.

first of all, why don't you use FM8
secondly, did you set the other operators the way it tells you to?

I think I'm getting better at layering sounds and humanizing things. But simultaneously getting worse at song/track writing. Don't know why I'm saying this. Just venting.

how do I make something like this?

youtube.com/watch?v=M2AEex59eVM

>first of all, why don't you use FM8

I'm using PX7 in reason. I have FM8 but I'm learning on PX7 because it's an exact recreation just with knobs and sliders instead of menu diving.

>secondly, did you set the other operators the way it tells you to?

Yes. I'm trying to figure out what the typo is here, I haven't missed anything.

ye that might be a legit point

I never have any ideas for (hip hop)beats. I just start dicking around for a bit then give up because nothing comes up in my mind. How do I get better at coming up with ideas?

Hows my music?
clyp.it/1k0j1lyz

damn, I guess no one here actually uses FM beyond the wub tutorial vids

Ahh, I figured out what the typo was by referring to an early chapter on envelopes. Operator 1 and 2 must be put slightly above 0 to create delayed envelopes - if they're at 0 it will just skip to rate 3

it is pleasant

kek thanks

Doing some 9th wonder shit, what do you think about it?
clyp.it/uzuoxe5q

that looks like it's from a (good) video game from the late 90s

Sup so I'm will learn piano and start producing at the same time. Are there any midi controllers suitable for both or am I going to have to get a piano and a midi controller? Tried fucking with the piano roll in FL studio, not a fan. Thanks if you answer.

wait actually, disregard - this book totally shit the bed - i'm going to have to find some other reference for the envelopes

when i drag a sample into sampler in ableton how do i get it to sync with my global tempo?

What are the best VSTs for Ableton guitar recording? For effects and such.
The default amps and audio effects get very boring.

little do people know all the classic warp albums were all written by the bogdanoffs, but being so humble they paid actors to represent their pseudonyms

just get a midi controller, learn/practice scales, chords, chord progressions. pianos r much more $$$ so if u aren't planning on actually learning pieces made for the piano or anything seems like a waste

Anyone?

guitar rig 5 player or some other free amp sims would probably be better

i dont like the ableton included amp/cabinet effects either

why don't you get a small amp and SM57 and use that as an external audio effect on a guitar track, then put your stompbox/fx as insert before the amp - you can probably get a wider variety of tones with a real mic to move around

I think you would have to plug the guitar directly into the amp for feedback, not sure tho.

For FX Guitar Rig is great obviously, I've heard others say Amplitube has the best sound quality but I haven't tried it.

Could you generate radio frequencies if you hooked an antenna up to FM8 and oversampled it?

any opinions on the boss dr550? the 660 is a detroit staple but i've got a nice offer for a mint 550, is it worth shit?

Amplitube is the best for guitar, but of course it depends what kind of music you play. I can get very close to Megadeth sound with my pickups just with little tweaking.

I call this... Free Trap
clyp.it/0ju3jjed

And I call it shit

BNM

>clyp.it/0ju3jjed
???
stop

>tfw really good with synthesizers but don't know how to create music

i would sell presets and sample packs if i were in that situation

only way u can go is up
dive in headfirst
i believe in u

dunno if this is okay to ask, where should I torrent from? looking for a torrent for fruity loops that isnt suspicious as fuck

how do i know if a sound is getting its frequency or pitch modulated?

youtube.com/watch?v=XKX1Fu6JyZ4

>2:40

holy shit, 80s british kids television actually had FM synthesis tutorials

... by listening to it?

whats the wave to use for background windy type sounds?

>background windy type sounds
what do you mean by this exactly like white noise sweeps

newboi ere am i worth a shit or just worth shit

djglostick.bandcamp.com/track/secret-banger

Tell me what to do wrong

clyp.it/vi4z1bt0

just started working on this

do you user think that it works or no?

That 808 needs more harmonics and a harder punch, it feels like there is no kick. The break sounds p good but I'd add some compression and make that shit bang like a motherfucker

The synths are good most of the time but sometimes it gets too cartoony/cheesy and give a video game soundtrack vibe (which is not good). Maybe the drum thing is a mixing issue, look up pink noise mixing for a quick rounding of that kind of shit

REAL PRODUCERS spend several hours perfecting techniques everyday, don't be sad, I've been producing for like three years and I still am pretty shitty

That sounds pretty nice my dude, like -really good-. Would show to friends.

I feel like it lacks shape

it's $90

>HEY GUYS CHECK OUT MY KANYE/MAC MILLER/JOEY BADA$$/WHATEVER BRINGS VIEW SONG

>it's the same loop that goes on for 4 minutes
wow what a talented artist

Bias FX is the best thing out there right now.
youtube.com/watch?v=W8a2sB9bCqk

if nobody pirates it then it was probably worth fuck all.

the only reason i would pay for it is if you actually get a chance at having your questions answered by mau5.

clyp.it/wjdw4lmn

clyp.it/04cqufbz

Can I get feedback on these when it comes to the mixing and if the shit is overall interesting

made this the other day

clyp.it/5muvnch0

pls dont b00li

when recording a song, do you guys record drums or rhythm/keys/guitar first? I feel like it should be drums first so that it's easier to sequence, no?

This isn't really my genre so I can't comment on the melody/singing stuff, but the drums are well put together and fit the song nicely.

i find recording the bass first a good option because it sort of connects the drums and the rhythm/melodic instruments

thanks senpai, its a remix of another track, but personally i love the singing, though i had to pitch the voice up to fit the mood of the track

I'll keep that in mind when I have a prominent bassline. I usually don't figure out bass in my songs until I've got the main groove going, but in any case would drums take place next?

I feel like there's no right or wrong answer, but moreso a more "common" approach with the exception of really artsy DIY songs, but I lot of my stuff recently has felt more uniform and I get lost not going for the drums first I feel.

They're a bit repetitive. The sounds are generally nice but feel like they are just repeating to fulfill the rule of fourths. I'm not an expert, but it might be better if you add something else that ties every bar together, like vocals or rap.

drums > bass > othershit

even when i feel like starting out with a bassline first i add a 4x4 beat just to guide me along.

I was confused at first but when the drums came in it was pretty cool. It can work if you do it right.

the drums are pretty amazing to be quite honest

give me feedback yall

soundcloud.com/mxxxkshapiro/sssometimesiplayguitar
>DAMN SON WHERED U FIND DIS
>808s CRAY CRAY
>GUITAR SAMPLE