Buying CD's

Is it still worth it to by CD's or digital music, versus streaming it? I used to only torrent, before I started using Spotify.
I like having the music files on my pc, but the times are changing i guess

Buy digital music not on Spotify, give a little.

IT'S CRUSHING TIME

Usually only snag CDs when it's the only physical format like for Eric Holm's Barotrauma and Soundtracks for the Blind.

lmfao

Have you ever tried buying second hand digital music or used stream at a fraction of retail price?

CD's are better quality than most MP3s if you can't find a FLAC version.

That is true, but the difference isn't that noticeable right?

how does second hand digital music work? Is that just sharing the files?

i hate this

CDs are wonderful

don't abandon them

That was sarcasm, kek.

My man
Nothing like physical medium with no strings attached (sans the infamous Sony blunder): it`s physically yours. BTW I love the concept of packing CDs into LP-sized covers, enjoying great cover and booklet is a great addition to listening, don`t you think?

I've been slowly rebuying albums that I listen to on spotify, and building up a physical/digital collection. I prefer it over streaming in most ways

Been doing the same for a couple years, on auction sites or flea markets, my collection exploded from a few dozens to hundreds. I also stopped playing music on a computer or tablet, dug out my old stereo, got it working and made time to actually sit on my ass and listen to whole albums, all thanks to Dave Grohl and Sound City, heh.

Spotify for normie stuff, torrents for obscure

Records if I find them cheap or they are a particular favourite

CDs are absolute garbage and most you'll buy will literally be unlistenable in not too long

i buy cds sometimes, it's easier than vinyl. I get vinyl every now and then but nearly not as often. I get cassettes more often than vinyl these days.
But most often i buy digital on Bandcamp. Shipping to where I live is a bitch.

>CDs are absolute garbage and most you'll buy will literally be unlistenable in not too long

Care to elaborate?

>But most often i buy digital on Bandcamp. Shipping to where I live is a bitch.

>DRM-free FLACs
You`re excused, it`s the next best thing after physical media. Plus you really support the artist, win-win.

i guess user means that they scratch and get unplayable.

Yes.

Depends on the release, but they are usually better mastered than the WEB version.

WEB releases sometimes have more limiting done because it's supposed to be listened to on headphones

yes it is noticeable, especially if it's a lossy transcode by some horrible encoder

for this reason i try to pirate FLAC or nothing

How does ripping FLAC files from a CD work? Can you just rip it to FLAC format or are CD's already lossy?

you use something like Exact Audio Copy

CDs are lossless

OK, thanks. I had my CDs ripped to mp3, but I'll probably rerip to FLAC

Disc rot for older CDs. They all have a potential life of about 20 years even without that, but most CDs you'll buy second hand will be half dead just from where they've been used or stored (e.g. in a hot car)

It's a pretty shit format. With records it's very unlikely you are going to leave them in a boiling hot room or in direct sunlight for hours, and even then they have better longevity even while warped

yeah you should be ripping to flac first for archiving. then you could convert to mp3 or whatever

CDs are garbage. Jewel cases are ugly and fall apart instantly, audio quality degenerates rapidly. Buy vinyl or digital.

I think he means pirating music

>jewel cases are ugly and fall apart instantly, audio quality degenerates rapidly
>buy vinyl or digital
>implying data on the CD degrades rapidly
>implying listening via vinyl is better quality
>implying CDs aren't digital
you are all kinds of stupid

"Vinyl" is a better listening experience. CDs are like digital, it's just background music and nobody cares

With records you bring your friends around to actually enjoy music. Especially with deluxe records there is ample opportunity to talk about the music in between side changes

It sounds like one of those arguments "proving" superiority of vinyl over CD. My oldest CDs are ca. 30 years old, and no disc rot on any of them. Might have something to do with proper storage away from heat and sunlight. I call bullshit over superior durability of LPs, if a record is warped how do you tell if the grooves aren`t deformed too?
Usability wise, CDs look better especially because of ability to make a 1:1 copy, to another CD or a file.

>copying CDs
What is this? The 90s?

>no disc rot
Might want to compare the sound to a crisp digital rip, you'll hear the difference if your sound system/headphones aren't pieces of shit

see
I meant that you _can`t_ buy used (or pre-owned, like Fitz would say) music in digital form, either (drm-infested) files or stream, while you can do so with music on physical media.

It`s fucking embarassing that I have to explain this.

I don`t like 2010s. And I don`t like your cherry-picking.

Go and compare your warped LP to... well, what can you compare it to? Heh. I have digital copies of my CDs, what backup do you have?

Oh, and by the way there`s a very simple test for disc rot: pop a CD into a PC, fire up a ripping utility like EAC and observe error correction indicator. As far as I remember, it always took a physical damage like scratch for EC to engage on a scale larger than usual, so I call another audiophile-grade bullshit.

All the FLAC rips are just slightly compressed CD rips so CD is better than digital. Also, better than vinyl which only has moar low end.
t. MP3fag

You should be asking this of vinyl. Anyone that still buys vinyl in 2017, let alone started after 2009, is a hopeless wannabe poser.

Why? Of course majority of the vinyl nouveau-riche class is just like you said, but it`s a bit harsh generalisation IMO. I personally like vinyl for its built-in demand for attention and all the accompanying celebration.

>All the FLAC rips are just slightly compressed CD rips

FLAC is lossless.

> so CD is better than digital.
No. It`s better than lossy, low bitrate digital, but can be worse than FLAC: every time error correction engages, the quality drops slightly, most of the time it`s impossible to hear, but a scratched CD, old laser, dust and tobacco tar residue on internal laser pickup mirrors can contribute to audible loss of quality.

I wish more bands would release their digital music is FLAC instead of just MP3s.

How is this even an option, streaming is the obvious choice.
Buy 1 CD or digital download and own it forever or stream as many albums as you want for one moth for the same price.

Most people have shitty headphone so they can't really tell the difference from 320kbps and FLAC, but if you have HiFi gear you can always use Tidal FLAC streaming.

I like CDs because I can read the spines to pick out what I want to listen to, as well as not fumbling with a fucking dinner plate and putting a god damn needle on it to play it