>SNARE X4

>t. Teenager that just found out about time signatures

Gimmick faux knowledge, by the way.

I bet you're the type of fuckboy who had to google what 4/4 means
>"wow OP you're dumb! 4/4 is equal to 1!"
-You

>one, two, one, two, three, four

>song is in 7/23

No, its just pointless kmowledge. Time signatures are next to none whereas a songs quality and creativity are concerned. But hey, you just exposed yourself to literally be the kind of guy to point out time signatures, so I can tell you're underage (alongside writing style)

>song is in cut time

>song isn't in 4/4, 3/4, or 6/8

doesn't make sense

I am not OP. I am 25 and learned about time signatures in middle school. You can stay mad

kys

literally no one has to google what 4/4 means

Then you've got the mental capacity of a 15 year old if you think time signatures is anything but a gimmick for wannabe pseuds to point out. For your own case, I hope you're lying.

>song is in 7/23
>song warps space and time so a beat sometimes partly counts for two measures at once--one in the past and one in the present

>not making tracks in 7/64/2

how about 5/4? it can actually sound surprisingly normal/not tryhard youtube.com/watch?v=0fqeW3UqjMw

>a fundamental aspect of music is a gimmick
???

you tried your best man, just drop it before you embarrass yourself any further

>making music where time moves in two dimensions

>le quirky time signature face

Name JUAN song that does this

>not knowing how to come up with a ridiculous time signature that actually makes sense

how about 19/16

how does that one make sense

i mean having a time signature where a 23rd note is worth one beat doesn't make sense because there is no such thing as a 23rd note and on the extremely rare occasions you do see a 3 or 5 as the bottom number it is more of a reference to tempo than anything else

5/4 is fine because it just means there are 5 beats in a bar and a quarter note gets one beat. 7/23 doesn't make sense because there is no meaning to what a 23rd note is

19 beats in a bar and a 16th note gets one beat. there's nothing fundamentally wrong with 19/16 time signature

Its just so pointless to even mention. It matters so fucking little. To trained musicians they'll hear a song in a different time signatures and say "whatever". If someone starts doing shit like pointing out time signatures, you are just one other pseud comment away from writing them off as posers.

what if it's 5 snares

>song has a time signature

I know, I'm not the guy who said 7/23

listen guys, 7/23 guy here
let me clear some things up, i only chose those numbers because they're prime and look weird
it isn't my job to explain it, it is a musician's job to make it work
idgaf

you've got it backwards nigger, you are the one coming off as pseud for thinking it doesn't make a difference and for acting like you are above anyone that thinks a fundamental part of music doesn't matter

that's like saying key signatures or modes (including aeolian and ionian) don't matter

>inb4 "i was just pretending to be retarded! xD"

it literally cant work, retard

Well it kind of does matter to musicians because we need to know how to play in different time feels, where the accents tend to lie etc.

>song is in 11/8
at least i think it is
youtu.be/NDpDfSNbuR0?t=154

>listen guys, water and crayons guy here
>let me clear some things up, i only chose those writing tools because they're funny and it would be weird to write with crayons on water
>it isn't my job to explain it, it is a writer's job to make it work
>idgaf

Not him, but that's part of the music. I'm going to point out the different time signatures on Brubeck's "Time Out", because that's one of the most important aspects of the album.

well it could work, it'd just be highly impractical. 23 would simply indicate a 23rd of a whole note, and there'd be 7 of those per bar. of course it would make a million times easier to interpret to just change it to 7/16 and slow the tempo

>song has any less than 5 time signatures

i'm glad you are beginning to engage in the next stages of artistic expression

Song is isn't in 4/4, 3/4, or 6/8

>songs in 1/7/16

i think you messed your post up a bit
good try though

youtube.com/watch?v=JkhX5W7JoWI

youtube.com/watch?v=haUJyCRTiXg
5/4 is objectively the best time sig

>time signature isn't randomly generated by a computer at the start of each measure, with the musicians adapting the music accordingly on the fly

>song exists

>mfw when it switches from 13/8 to 2/4 to 18/16 in the space of 3 measures

>song changes time signatures and keys multiple times

*vacuum turns on*

>melody goes up the scale then back down

T. 14 year olds that just played babies first non-conventional time signature accoustic song :-)

Holy shit it does not matter. Its so inconsequential and trivial that more seasoned musicians just pick one and go. If you're the type of person that talks about uncommon time signatures when discussing music it means you are a poser with nothing else to say so you point out trivial shit. Grab your tool albums and don't let the door hit your ass on the way out fag

>drummer A isn't playing in 7/8, drummer B isn't playing in 3/4, the bass isn't playing 3/4, the organ isn't playing in 5/8, the tambourine isn't playing in 3/4, and the alto sax blowing his nose

>i made a 3 hour shoegaze album
>oh wow so did my vacuum cleaner

Go to bed Mike Portnoy

>giving a shit about time signatures instead of enjoying the music

>more seasoned musicians just pick one [time signature] and go

do you only listen to top40 pop or something? holy shit this is so wrong im not even going to bother reading the rest of your post. i'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're just trolling, not clinically retarded

I love you

He's clearly a full of shit non-musician like the majority of this board. don't get too worked up about it.

does anyone still use last.fm

...the time signature is a huge part of the music.

Honestly the vast majority of you really need to pick up an instrument or read up on theory. It is laughable how ignorant of music you cocksuckers are while simultaneously being so confident in your lack of knowledge.

there is literally nothing wrong with writing in 4/4

>writing music that is not in free time

>the simpsons reaction image

Yep

What's wrong with Mingus?

>filename

there's nothing wrong with any of the albums or bands on the list
it's just a stereotype

Guess Guthrie Govan is an unseasoned 14 year old then youtube.com/watch?v=hMDi21a9YoU

every third pixies song

It is a huge part of music but it's not the only thing that matters to a good song. Focusing only on the time signature, discarding 4/4 just because it's overused it's retarded.
Complicated != good

>Look at me! I have basic knowledge of music theory that literally anyone can learn within 30 mins of Internet research! You shall bow to my faggotness!

This. It's like when Dream Theater/tech-death babbies go "HOLY SHIT IT CHANGED TIME SIGNATURE A HUNDRED TIMES" but every measure is just X number of chugs playing Yth notes in X/Y. Sad!

Why are you arguing against things that nobody in here has said (only thing that matters to a good song, complicated = good). No time signature is particularly complicated, they can just be intimidating to musicians who haven't much playing experience with it. And yes, changing time signatures often and unexpectedly purely to disorientate can be a bit faggy, but I don't recall anyone here saying otherwise.

Also, you could've said this whatever aspect of music was being discussed, it's like if we were discussing modes and your response was that it's not the only thing that matters, even thought nobody even said that it was

>Focusing only on the mode, discarding Ionian just because it's overused it's retarded

>rational time signatures
Nuke the entire thread. It's filled with plebs.
Now listen to some Nancarrow canons

This

I support this. Good things in music should always be below awareness. Like CGI in movies

This shit is genius.

youtube.com/watch?v=LFz2lCEkjFk

>people are enjoying things and i'm mad about it

Conlon Nancarrow lived as a recluse in Mexico for most of his live and composed for mechanical player pianos.

He's a proto-Aphex Twin

That's how you recognize a true artist, who doesn't give a damn about fame or recognition. Just sits in his workshop, composing because it's what he does.

This is dope, are there professionally recorded releases of this guy's music?

Plenty

le savage

what are time signatures?

quality post

It is

how many beats per measure/which note gets the beat

4/4 - four quarter notes in a measure
3/4 - three quarter notes in a measure
6/8 - six eighth notes in a measure
5/2 - five half notes in a measure
13/16 - thirteen sixteenth notes in a measure
etc

>song is in 7/4-4/4

example pls
i read musical notation, not autism

4/4 means there are 4 notes in a measure.
Most house music uses the 4/4.
Example to make it clear to you:
youtube.com/watch?v=HzY9n1rNVRU

Notice how the bass drum keeps kicking? Its because they put all bass drums on all four notes.
Once you have heard 4 bass drum kicks, 1 measure has passed.

I understand time signatures, I just don't recognize
>kick snare kick kick snare kick kick snare kick kick snare guitar

youtube.com/watch?v=hvHJOus1pRo

Audio example

>live bonus track

>Song skips around

youtube.com/watch?v=9p_Si21ig7c

what's wrong with last fm

Your understanding of the English language is truly fucking atrocious, yet you're going on about someone's writing style

>song has 120 bpm

Trained musician here, you're musically retarded

>musicallyretarded
That's my last.fm

>The notation can be represented as a rational number

>literally no one has to google what 4/4 means
I had to look it up

>Song isn't in 39/7

>song is 108 bpm