The Band

Why are they never talked about here?

Literally one of the absolute greatest popular music acts of all time

with the Internet their popularity and significance has plummeted due to poor search engine optimization

because Sup Forums overall has shit taste

>Creates 2 11/10 albums
>Doesn't do anything else of note

Stage Fright is at least an 8/10

VIRGIL CAINES THE NAME AND I SERVED ON THE DANVILLE TRAIN

>STANDING BY YOUR WINDOW IN PAIN

that's already more than NMH brings to the table

They're great. Just watch The Last Waltz a couple weeks ago.

I love Up On Cripple Creek

What band? Might help if you at least mentioned the band's name.

because Sup Forums is still on a stage of hating their dad

actually i wanted to post em
their cover of Baby Don't You Do It by Marvin Gaye performed live on Rock of Ages is amazing, even better than the short version on The Last Waltz which is just a sad farewell of a generation

>top google result for "the band" is The Band's offiial website
>second result is their wiki entry
>literally every result on the front page is about The Band

uh

Kek

>names their band "the band"

>Take a load off Fanny, take a load for free
>Take a load off Fanny, and you put the load right on me
I don't know why this song hits me as hard as it does.

One of the greatest to have ever done it.

redpill me on The Band

what albums are the good ones actually?

I don't get this band. They echoed Dylan a bit much for me. Like they couldn't shake his presence after they played together. I like it well enough but they just don't seem as strong or impactful as people let on to me. The whole "roots" movement was sort of driven home by them I guess but it's not like they spearheaded it, and if we wanna talk about good clean rough and tumble roots rock, Creedence is obviously far superior but none of the big rock critics ride their collective cock as hard as they ride the Band's.

Help me out y'all.

Their first two studio albums and some tight live ones, as well as their stuff with Bob Dylan (Bob Dylan and the Band - Basement Tapes, '75).

Their two most famous albums, Music From Big Pink and The Band don't really sound like any of Dylan's albums save John Wesley Harding and, well, The Basement Tapes, but there's kind of a reason for that one. Their sound on their first two albums isn't even that similar to their sound on Dylan's 66 tour.

Not in sound, in songwriting. And yeah, I was mostly referring to JWH. The Band just feels like a downgraded JWH. Plus the faster, "rockin'" tunes just don't work that well for me. I like the slower ones with are sonically pretty unique and well performed but not every song falls under that category.

Well you should keep in mind that JWH was recorded from October 17 – November 29, 1967 whereas the original Basement Tape jams/sessions were recorded during June–October 1967 (which admittedly I wasn't sure of until I looked it up on wikipedia just now), so it's more like both The Band and the artist found a sound they liked and stuck with it for a period of time. The Band did change up their style somewhat after their first two albums, to less than stellar results.

I'll admit I kind of get what you're saying about their influence not being that noticeable though. Oddly enough it seems that indie folk scene of the late 00s and early 10s had more of a similar aesthetic to them, both visually and musically, than most of the musicians of their own time did.

I know what you mean about the slower ones sounding better. I was listening to Before The Flood just yesterday and thinking how I really don't like the fast rock renditions of Dylan's songs, they work so much better as slow and folky. The Band's own songs sound alright that way but I like the slower ballads more.

Tfw got two records by them from my late grandmother but they're in horrible condition

TILL STONEMAN'S CAVALRY CAME AND TORE UP THE TRACKS AGAIN

>A PISTOL IN YORE HAAAAAAND

my low effort joke has been proven to be fake news

Boring as fucking shite

Their cover of Atlantic city is way better than the original. And you know CCRs from LA right?

>google image search
>dung beatle
>it's john lennon taking a poop

>tfw too lazy to come up with an Abbot and Costello routine about The Band and The Who