ITT: unorthodox album pressings

ITT: unorthodox album pressings

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wQHnWnB26BE
discogs.com/es/Pescado-Rabioso-Artaud/release/3044828
youtube.com/watch?v=Wfas6jXwO4M
discogs.com/Various-The-First-Three-Years-Of-Blue-Series-Singles-On-One-LP-At-3-RPM/release/4080010
discogs.com/Various-Music-From-Baz-Luhrmanns-Film-The-Great-Gatsby/release/4651925
youtube.com/watch?v=U9Q88uTdgWY
youtu.be/Q7FqeqTpeRo?t=15m5s
ufunk.net/en/musique/chocolat-breakbot/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

youtube.com/watch?v=wQHnWnB26BE

The Locust - Flight of the Wounded Locust

Boyd Rice's Pagan Muzak

17 locked grooves, drilling new holes for a non-centered playback suggested

LIE

not OP but that there is the OG pressing, yours is a repress

Fucking peasant

discogs.com/es/Pescado-Rabioso-Artaud/release/3044828

What the hell? I thought it had another off center hole already drilled?

Some copies had, some didn't. Apparently Boyd himself drilled the holes.

thats so cool

How does it not get fucked up when the second and third track cross?

Probably because they're on each side

this is kind of typical gimmicky shaped disc territory, but I think it's neat.

That makes a lot of sense.
Damn clear vinyl, making me feel stupid.

youtube.com/watch?v=Wfas6jXwO4M doesn't entirely fit the topic of the thread but, but a very good video showcasing unique packaging

The king of gimmicks

>2 vinyl-only hidden tracks hidden beneath the center labels
>1 hidden track plays at 78 RPM, one plays at 45 RPM, making this a 3-speed record
>Side A plays from the inside out
>Plays an electric or acoustic intro for “Just One Drink” depending on where needle is dropped. The grooves meet for the body of the song.
>Matte finish on Side B, giving the appearance of an un-played 78 RPM record
>Both sides end with locked grooves
>Dead wax area on Side A contains a hand-etched hologram

How do we stop this guy?

and yet it sounds like shit, good job Jack

Ya can't, he's opening his own pressing plant soon

It always confuses me how this album is relatively inexpensive at record stores

His label also released a 3 RPM speed LP compilation

discogs.com/Various-The-First-Three-Years-Of-Blue-Series-Singles-On-One-LP-At-3-RPM/release/4080010

>he's opening his own pressing plant soon
I'm excited. The Vinyl industry is killing itself trying to keep up with the demand and some new plants is just what they need. Might bring down costs too in the long run.

Why would Jack lie to us?

wtf I hate jack white even more now

cause it's a pretty bad album

>The label's hexagon doesn't line up with or is perpendicular to the hexagon of the record.
This triggers my autism

Not exactly unorthodox (only in the label absence part) but I think it's gorgeous and I wish I could have it.

This one is pretty weird

A classic.

Those holes dont seem to line up at all

great pressing
shit music

i win.

What's unorthodox about a double LP with a die cut cover and no gatefold?

>shit music
nah, it's just Weird Frontier music made in the seventies

discogs.com/Various-Music-From-Baz-Luhrmanns-Film-The-Great-Gatsby/release/4651925

>Housed in a laser-cut wooden jacket with aluminum spines. Includes 3 inserts, an owner instruction card, and a pair of cotton gloves to handle the vinyl.

>According to Third Man Records, these are the first ever commercially available gold and platinum metallic LPs.

Just another gimmicky mess, but hey, it's worth at least 350 bucks

And they tarnish extremely quickly, making them look exactly the same.

only the gold one, the platinum one stays pretty.

it's still unorthodox.

Joyful Noise does cool pressings, and that's a great EP.

eat this, jack white

>In anticipation of their yet to be titled new record (Optica), Shout Out Louds sent a collection of limited box sets to various fans and members of the press. The boxes included a record mold, a distilled bottle of water, and a set of instructions (also made available via YouTube) to make an actual record of ice containing the song Blue Ice.
Hand numbered and limited to 10.

youtube.com/watch?v=U9Q88uTdgWY

This guy has some really fun videos on special/interesting packaging, check them out if you want:
youtube.com/watch?v=Wfas6jXwO4M

Ape of Naples was originally released in a triple acetate box set, hand-made and limited to 36 copies.

*23 copies

that's great

Ghostbusters Soundtrack was released on a record in the shape of the ghost logo.

>that wow from the uneven surface

a vinyl record filled with hair and piss

I've got this one, came pre-drilled. First and second presses had second holes, later reissues apparently didn't.

It's a neat little gimmick - using the off-center hole gives a weird whooping siren effect to the groove. Playing it at 78rpm usually provides enough off-center momentum to throw the tonearm away from the groove entirely.

That's hilarious, don't know if its worth it to have in your library though...

There was that Perfect Pussy record which they tried to use menstruation blood in the vinyl, but they had to use red vinyl pellets because the blood either turned black or vanished in the clear vinyl.

classic album
i want it too

youtu.be/Q7FqeqTpeRo?t=15m5s

thats the bes album ever man!

packaged in a jiffy pop

best ITT

How come the greatest one hasn't been posted yet?

>The album was originally released by SST Records on lock groove vinyl, which allowed the listener to listen to the remaining few seconds of each composition for as long as they desired. On the original vinyl recording, Ranaldo created a few of the tracks directly in the mastering studio where the cutting of the original vinyl version took place.[2] In addition to the locked grooves, the LP was mastered at 45 RPM (although the vinyl's record label also gave a "varispeed" designation, suggesting that the record could be enjoyed at any speed) and also contained on the album's second side an engraving of the serpent designed by Savage Pencil, which was given its own track number, title, and facetious "infinity" track length.

How was the vinyl version like? Like, the records were kept "loose" inside, with no inner sleeves?

Breakbot - By Your Side, chocolate record.
100 copies produced.

ufunk.net/en/musique/chocolat-breakbot/

bump