Benefit

Stand Up and This Was are their best desu. The debut is solid blues rock

bump

t h i c c
as
a
b r i c c

youtu.be/SJdMwZFw8n8?t=1h3m46s

The instrumental priboch cap in hand gets me close to tears everytime (1:03:44).

Also that phasing on The Whistler is pretty good.

Ian Anderson is cool and talented.

One of the prog greats I do not care for

This Was [Island, 1969]

Ringmaster Ian Anderson has come up with a unique concept that combines the worst of Arthur Brown, Roland Kirk, and your nearest G.O. blues band. I find his success very depressing. C-

Stand Up [Island, 1969]

Fans of the group claim it's a great album. I am not a fan of the group. I think it is an adequate album. B-

Benefit [Island, 1970]

Ian Anderson does admittedly have one great gift--he knows how to deploy riffs. Nearly every track on this album is constructed around a good one, sometimes two, and after a couple of listens, you'll have practically the entire thing memorized. But I defy you to recall any lyrics. For all his careful en-un-ci-ation and attention to wordcraft, Anderson creates the impression that he can't/won't care about his theme, which I take to be love/friendship or something along those lines. The verbiage isn't especially obscure, but it does make it very hard to concentrate. I'm sure I hear at least one satirical exegesis on the generation gap though. B-

Aqualung [Island, 1971]

Ian Anderson is like the town freethinker. As long as you're stuck in the same town as him, his inchoate interests and skeptical views on religion and human behavior come off as refreshing. Run into him in the big city though and he can come off as a real bore. Of course, he can also turn out to be Bob Dylan--it all depends on whether he rejected provincial values out of a reflexive somatism or a desire for something more. C+

Thick as a Brick [Island, 1972]

Ian Anderson is the guy who'll tell you on one album that the entire thing is one song and then on the next album tell you one side is a theme. The usual shit--rock (getting heavier), folk (getting feyer), flute (getting better because it has no other choice), words. C+

Everything Rocks and Nothing Ever Dies [1990s]

Ian Anderson toasted his voice early on, by Under Wraps, he was pretty well shot as a singer.

He also pretty much ran out of ideas after TAAB, but for some inexplicable reason the albums kept right on coming.

Aqualung is a pretty sweet album.

Best Tull album right here.
Try to prove me wrong. You can't.

Christgau also wrote a column about a JT gig that he attended. He said that it's very depressing to pay money to hear a guy bitch about society and organized religion for three hours and he'd rather see the Rolling Stones who at least know how to have fun.

Jethro Tull is Crescent Fresh!

Really jealous of his flute skills
I've been amaturely playing for about 6 years and I'd like to get good with rock flute