Why is rock so shit nowadays? There hasn't been a true rockstar since Kurt Cobain...

Why is rock so shit nowadays? There hasn't been a true rockstar since Kurt Cobain, and I can't think of one influential band since Radiohead.

What the fuck happened, and is it ever going to come back?

nice bait

He's right, and your rampant faggotry is why you've been denied trips.

rock is not shit nowadays sure Kurt was a amazing lyricist and had great vocals but the only reason hes this hyped up is because he killed himself. Rock is not shit nowadays. Kek

>there's no famous rock star
>so it's a shit
Please stop

Go to an Ariel Pink show, kiddo.

i'd argue that rock needs a rock star to be mainstream, and we haven't had one in over 20 years, thus rock has died.

>it's not mainstream
>so it's dead
I said please stop

SWANS

you dont need a rockstar for rock to be mainstream you need a good rock which is easily out there its just people gobble the fuck out of hits one and whatever uppity beat comes out of it. Its not that rock is dead its that rock will never be uppity and bad enough to get on any mainstream radio

>omgtodeepbrowoooow music
>drugsandshitbroyeeeea
>rockstar

because rap took its place

>There hasn't been a true rockstar since Kurt Cobain
Kurt Cobain wasn't a "true" rockstar. He was a whiny little bitch who didn't do anything rockstar-ish. And as much as I hate him, Dave Grohl does the whole rockstar thing pretty well; he seems to give off that vibe.
>I can't think of one influential band since Radiohead.
Well considering that Radiohead is still a thing that regularly releases okay-good albums...

Plus there's still plenty of good rock music that isn't super artsy or whiny. Queens of the Stone Age and Royal Blood (see: QotSA-lite) still make solid music.

all according to plan

sounds like you don't know how to find new music or you expect to be spoonfed by media outlets.

super kek

you really do need a mainstream presence to have a big underground presence. clearly you have no idea how the music industry works.

with that being said, feel free to give me any examples of good bands in the underground scene right now.

>denied of trips AND quads

case and point. you can only name two or three bands who make "solid" music.

rock is dead. we all need to face it.

nah nigger

>you really do need a mainstream presence to have a big underground presence
Oh like math-rock?

No fuck off
>clearly you have no idea how the music industry works.
Clearly you don't know what independent music is
>feel free to give me any examples of good bands in the underground scene right now.
There are literally 100 local bands playing every night in my city. You are not smart.

what happens after rap?

You make this thread 7 times in Sup Forums and didn't work.
Go out, meet some people, fuck a girl, turn gay, but stop doing this shitty bait threads.

it's not like rap doesn't hold many of the same messages rock once did.
They're just your classic bad influences.

Kek.

something will take its place. Probably super trap and edm heavy. Whatever them kids like really

Not an argument.

>implying the 80's weren't a decade of degenerate white trash on cocaine long before rap

no, fuckface, rock in general needs a mainstream presence to have a big underground presence. if we a mainstream rock band emerged and started going platinum in every country, competition would emerge and the underground scene would explode. that's how it has always worked.

there aren't even any good indie bands anymore. i challenge you to name one indie band with a good album under their belt in the last 7 years.

like post-death grips sounding stuff?

implying twenty one pilots aint rockstars

You supposedly saw him post this 7 times on Sup Forums. Maybe you should take your own advice.

>rock in general needs a mainstream presence to have a big underground presence.
Then show me mainstream 90s math-rock.

>i challenge you to name one indie band with a good album
Circulatory System

i said in general you stupid fuck. there needs to be a big mainstream ROCK scene for there to be a big underground scene. if we had the equivalent of the beatles today, there would be a huge math rock scene, as well as alternative scene, and experimental, etc.

you're dense.

Jack White is/was kind of big and respected. Do people still like Arcade Fire?

>Why is rock so shit nowadays? There hasn't been a true rockstar since Kurt Cobain
Oh, you mean there hasn't been another band degrading a genre of music to its infancy? It's bad enough that punk did it in the late 70's, but grunge also did it in mid 80's. Not to mention the hundreds of horrible bands they spawned, which would of course get signed, because the record companies wanted to cash in on a growing trend as well as all the other grunge "musicians". If that's the innovation you want, I'd gladly miss out on it.

>i said in general
IN GENERAL a genre or subgenre exists in an underground scene FIRST, then spreads to the mainstream. It's the oposite of what you are describing.

Feel free to prove otherwise

>if we had the equivalent of the beatles today, there would be a huge math rock scene,
Ooops that's not an example of a mainstream 90s math rock band. Try again.

what kind of rock music do you consider good? i'm not a big fan of grunge, but punk spawned a lot of great bands, and pushed the genre.

if there isn't a mainstream presence in the first place, these underground bands are COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT, and rock ends up being dead, like it is today.

i wasn't implying they were a mainstream 90s math rock band. you're dense.

Post punk, art punk pushed the genre. Those are not necessarily rock genres, given that they take influence from a number of other genres. Bands that fall into that category didn't want to cash in on a growing trend, they took the genre further. Rock music I consider good is progressive rock, art rock, krautrock, space rock, experimental rock, etc. Pic related.

>these underground bands are COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT
Why? Because you don't like them?
>and rock ends up being dead
If it exists and people are playing it, it can't be dead
>i wasn't implying they were a mainstream 90s math rock band.
You were because you just said:
>rock in general needs a mainstream presence to have a big underground presence
Hence sine there is a big underground presence, there must be a mainstream one. So, show me your theory is correct.

because nobody knows who they are.

there isn't a mainstream presence or an underground presence. its a complete wasteland right now.

How I wish Eno would make another art rock album, possibly with Fripp again. But then again, you can only revolutionize music so many times and musicians aren't at their creative peak in their sixties most of the time.

post-punk rock

art punk rock

therefore they are rock.

Show me an example of a genre existing in the mainstream before the underground
>because nobody knows who they are.
People in the underground/local scene does
>there isn't a mainstream presence or an underground presence. its a complete wasteland right now.
Incorrect. There's literally new bands playing every night of the week right now. Where have you looked?

All right. Let's not get carried away with semantics.

90% of the music i listen to falls under the umbrella of rock and at least half of that are bands that are contemporary bands, so i guess you don't really know what the fuck you're talking about, huh?

semantics? anyone with half a brain will tell you punk is rock, that's why it has been called punk rock since day one.

I agreed with you and asked you not to get carried away.

the underground scenes have always been flourishing and influential, up until 15-20 years ago. that's when rock started becoming less and less mainstream. none of these bands you're talking about are relevant, even in the underground scene. once a major decides to push a half decent rock band, then they might become relevant, because the underground scene will grow.

>I'm not familiar with it, so it's not relevant
What instrument do you play again?

Also you forgot to answer this
>Show me an example of a genre existing in the mainstream before the underground
Until you do, you can take this garbage to Sup Forums

>I can't think of one influential band since Radiohead

The Strokes.

/thread

that's fair, but they peaked in 2001/2002.

so feel free to name a band after that.

i play a decent guitar, bass, piano, and drums. that has absolutely nothing to do with anything in this thread, though.

that's a cop out question. you could say nearly every band that made it in the mainstream started off underground, because they were relatively unknown before they got signed. cop out question. you know it.

without a mainstream scene, you have no underground scene, which is exactly what is going on today.

>i'm play a decent guitar, bass, piano, and drums.
Tell me about the band you've played in and the scenes you've witnessed yourself. I fail to imagine anyone as musically accomplished as you having such backwards thinking of how scenes work. How many gigs have you played?
>you could say nearly every band that made it in the mainstream started off underground, because they were relatively unknown before they got signed. cop out question. you know it.
It's how it works. Sorry. Prove otherwise.
>without a mainstream scene, you have no underground scene, which is exactly what is going on today.
There's lots of underground scenes with no mainstream equivalents. I already mentioned one. Can you name some mainstream No Wave artists?

The White Stripes
Interpol
My Morning Jacket
The Black Keys
My Chemical Romance
TV on the Radio
Arctic Monkeys
Kings of Leon
Ghost
Arcade Fire
The Killers
The National
Japandroids
Deerhunter

Nice list of shit bands

shit, I know an edgy 16 year old mexican girl that talks about suicide and is a brainwashed libcuck who is in my spotify friendlist and she's always listening to that. kill yourself faggot.

Yea, because I totally listen to all those bands, you fucking retards. He said name an influential rock band post-Radiohead and that's what I did. All of those bands achieved mainstream success and spawned dozens of copycat bands. Grunge sucked dick too but it's irrelevant considering we're talking about popularity and influence.

>All of those bands achieved mainstream success
eat shit nigger

>who is Julian Casablancas
>Who is Alex Turner
Two faggots with rockstar attitudes with fans licking their buttholes, OP is a faggot.

literally who

fuck off

Fuck you faggot. Read the thread next time before you weigh in with your worthless 2 cents.

swans hasn't been good since 1996

Not him but:
>Deerhunter
>Swans
>Radiohead
>Flaming Lips
>Sigur Ros
>QOTSA
>Alice in Chains
>Godspeed
>MBV
>NIN

Are all still making good music well into their careers. I didn't even need to mention mainstream shit which is still massive like:

>Coldplay
>Muse
>Arctic Monkeys
>Foo Fighters
>RHCP

any of the above mentioned can walk into any festival and get a headline slot, pretty much anywhere in Europe, the Americas, Japan or Australia.

Not to mention the fact that "legendary" hard rock bands like Bon Jovi, Kiss and Aerosmith STILL sell out stadium tours all over the world. Also metal bands like Iron Maiden and Metallica still have a huge and incredibly loyal following internationally.
I live in a shitty developing country, and all of the above mentioned bands have been and played sell out concerts, charging $100 a head at least when most people make that much money in a week if they are lucky.