The Past vs. The Present

If I were to rank the modern music of the contemporary era (1945-Present) by decade, this is the system I would use.

>God Tier

1950's, 1960's, 1970's

>Mid Tier

1980's, 1990's, 1940's

>Shit Tier

2000's, 2010's

I'm sorry, and as often as you'll throw the "dadrock" label at me, I feel as if the current generation's music is just god-awful (and I'm a Millennial, so it can't be an age thing). Not just the mainstream music, but even the indie music of today sucks. To me, indie music is now dominated by pretentious hipster garbage.

And before you throw the "we only remember the best music of the past" meme at me, I even prefer the corporate pop music and forgotten hits of the 50's, 60's, 70's, and such. Not just the big hits that get played on oldies and classic rock stations. I even prefer older genres that are usually unpopular, like bluegrass and disco as well as more mainstream rock, pop, and soul.

So, is it just me or was the music of the Baby Boomers and Generation X generally better than the music of the Millennials?

Is it wrong that I legitimately prefer this older music to newer music (even the indie stuff, which to me is pretentious hipster crap)?

What do you guys think? Pic unrelated.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CVIhZA9oOrQ
youtube.com/watch?v=1jVECp5Dzp4
youtube.com/watch?v=eyGumi55aGA
youtube.com/watch?v=pTjQgkHzbTk
youtube.com/watch?v=UKAeeGnAYBo
youtube.com/watch?v=j4aRFkirVn0
youtube.com/watch?v=J3arEmkXZ8s
youtube.com/watch?v=6cdFuMgMkBM
youtube.com/watch?v=zI2hgm65WhE
youtube.com/watch?v=VKmG6zkADW8
youtube.com/watch?v=h4-lKMGII_k
youtube.com/watch?v=PaQkMppiHic
youtube.com/watch?v=MXXRHpVed3M
youtube.com/watch?v=99j0zLuNhi8
youtube.com/watch?v=byQIPdHMpjc
youtube.com/watch?v=9p5nL_FACSc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

To elaborate...

>Baby Boomers

Elvis Presley, Buddy Holly, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Janis Joplin, Johnny Cash, The Stanley Brothers, Creedence Clearwater Revival, George Jones, The Dillards

>Generation X

Nirvana, REM, The Beastie Boys, NWA, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Mayhem, Motley Crue, The Cure, the Outlaw Country movement as a whole

>Millennials

Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, Florida Georgia Line, Nickelback, Fetty Wap, Lil Wayne, Kanye West, Iggy Azaela, and myriad indie hipster bands

What the fuck went wrong? Why does my generation's music suck so much on all levels? I can't be the only one who feels this way, can I?

It's not just you, there's a lot of contrarians out there too.

I agree with you on the indie music scene being plagued by insufferable hipsters though.

LE
E

Boy howdy. I don't even know where to begin.

music has been in decline since the 19th century dude. hell even the 18th if you have a stiffy for bach and mozart

lower being better

>1
1960's, 1980's, 2000's
>2
1950's, 1970's, 1990's, 2010's
>3
1940's

There are good releases across all genres for every decade, from popular music to art music. It's senseless evaluating anything but major movements in a critical sense, regardless of the time period it occurred in. For example, hair metal was godawful, but post-punk was great. Both happened in the 1980s (primarily).

>Even the indie stuff which to me is pretentious hipster crap
>I am a millennial

You always find people who want to sound interesting to others talking about how music from their generation sucks and that older music is far better.

Hipsters try to convince themselves that the music industry was different back then even though it was probably far worse than it is now.
This is the same as when people tried to make out that listening to vinal was the best and purest form of music.

Tldr; op is a hipster

Born in the wrong generation OP?

>1950s
youtube.com/watch?v=CVIhZA9oOrQ
youtube.com/watch?v=1jVECp5Dzp4
youtube.com/watch?v=eyGumi55aGA

>1960s
youtube.com/watch?v=pTjQgkHzbTk
youtube.com/watch?v=UKAeeGnAYBo
youtube.com/watch?v=j4aRFkirVn0

>1970s
youtube.com/watch?v=J3arEmkXZ8s
youtube.com/watch?v=6cdFuMgMkBM
youtube.com/watch?v=zI2hgm65WhE

>1980s
youtube.com/watch?v=VKmG6zkADW8 (as a personal note, no horror the 21st century has conjured will ever top this)
youtube.com/watch?v=h4-lKMGII_k
youtube.com/watch?v=PaQkMppiHic

>1990s
youtube.com/watch?v=MXXRHpVed3M
youtube.com/watch?v=99j0zLuNhi8
youtube.com/watch?v=byQIPdHMpjc

I have many many MANY more examples for each of those decades if you're not convinced. You should be, though.

>Nirvana, REM, The Beastie Boys, NWA, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Mayhem, Motley Crue, The Cure, the Outlaw Country movement as a whole
Outlaw Country was a boomer movement user.

man that agadoo music video is really something else

It's not even the worst song from that artist.

youtube.com/watch?v=9p5nL_FACSc

Best to worst

2000's
1990's
2010's
1980's
1970's
1960's
1950's
1940's

>hair metal was god awful
Sweety, kill yourself

>has taste shittier than the streets of India
>telling me to kill myself

Funny. :)

>listens to 1 poison song
>thinks he knows the genre
Come on darling, dont embarrass yourself like that

>INTO THE FIYAH!
>I'M FALLIN'

I've listened to quite a bit of it, especially growing up. Prove me wrong if you want. Glam rock was great but glam metal was a mistake.

>glam rock
So alice cooper and such

1970's > 1950's = 1990's 2010's > 1940's > 1960's > 1980's

The only correct ranking.

>Mayhem
I thought Gen X was a strictly American thing?

>top tier
2000's 1980's
>great tier
2010's 1950's
>good tier
1960's
>mid tier
1990's
>absolute dogshit tier
1970's

Pop has always sucked anyway

i missed a > mark between 90's and 2010's but you get the point.

>80's anything but shit tier
>70's not top tier
>accounting for pop music
> 90's as mid tier

What the fuck are you doing, retard?

Poison is enough to totally and utterly discredit the genre as a whole. What makes it even worse is that there are dozenz of bands that are atleast as bad as they are.

Glam metal is probably the single most cringy, god-awful, shallow and unoriginal genre in the history of contemporary music.

Objective ranking coming through

1950s = 1960s = 1970s = 1980s = 1990s = 2000s = 2010s

>80s
>post-punk and post-hardcore strong
>no wave
>new-wave and synthpop
>black and thrash metal
>jangle pop
>fucking weird-ass Japan in the 80s
>shit

Pleb.

No its not, doesnt really work that way. Im so sorry sweetheart, did you never learn argumentation?