/nin/ general

thoughts on the Not the Actual Events EP?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zsnvNwlGg1o
youtube.com/watch?v=mWZzEZsx66A
youtube.com/watch?v=SgPG-JSAd9Q
play.spotify.com/album/2fThnKRzs6iudIAzHP9VOa?play=true&utm_source=open.spotify.com&utm_medium=open
play.google.com/store/music/album/Nine_Inch_Nails_Not_The_Actual_Events?id=Bfrxqqk7wmvaga32xpvezpm4p5q
youtube.com/watch?v=whVtrLrTWwE
youtube.com/watch?v=kA_-Y_hH0-g
youtube.com/watch?v=fGKum5jjvks
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>YES, EVERYONE SEEMS TO BE ASLEEP

what?

does /nin/ come out at night or something?

someone didn't listen to the new EP

AS IF I EVER HAD A CHOICE

a refreshing return to the more aggressive sound

agreed, user. I like to think of NTAE as a Broken sequel

I really disliked the spoken word on Dear World and The Idea of You which is a shame because I found them to be the most interesting tracks instrumentally. The other tracks are GOAT tho, I really loved the shoegaze influence on Burning Bright

nine inch fails ahah

>shoegaze influence
As a huge Sonic Youth fan (as well as a NIN fan) I was pleasantly surprised to hear what was essentially a combination of the two bands' styles in Burning Bright. Great stuff.

I always loved the spoken word and I think this is some of the best spoken word Trent has done, that extremelly monotone almost dead voice he does in Dear World/She's Gone Away sounds amazing.

Branches/Bones is the most agressive track since shit like "The Wretched" or "Big Man With A Gun" stuff like "You Know What You Are" doesn't really come close to it and it surprised me to see that Trent can scream that well still.

Dear World is amazing, it is like Hesitation Marks song but with far more layers and complexity and tries different things like left/right channel having different lyrics. Hearing that in headphones is a must.

She's Gone Away is such a creepy trac, the feeling it builds up and mantains is almost chilling. I love it, it had to grow on me though.

The Idea Of You is one of the songs that is the most reminiscent of With_Teeth yet it still has in my opinion more to offer, I love how when the chorus kicks in the second time it starts to be more and more layered and just fucking louder and louder. As if Trent's head was gonna burst or something. It goes in hard.

Burning Bright might as well be my new "classic" NIN song, next to stuff like "Gave Up" it sounds triumphant with its instrumentals and vocals, yet the vocals sound almost menacing as if an evil force was ceelbrating over being free and ready to burn the world down.

Also, this EP has amazing lyrics, some of the best in NIN. I loved the lyrics in Burning Bright for example.

I thought that return to agression would suck and feel dishonest and also that Trent's voice is weak now, I guess I was wrong on both, because the anger feels genuine as fuck and still works and Trent's a beast on this record.

I loved Hesitation Marks, but hearing the anger, the fucking wrath again with that uncomfortable feeling throughout made me really happy.

This is that attempt at agression which The Slip kind of failed at (at least in its studio version).

So, I love it.

>The Slip failed

I liked one or two songs off it, but yeah, as a whole it was .. eh...

I actually like The Slip, but I felt like its agression Trent tried to potray was very mellow and didn't work all that well. Trent's vocals didn't feel as angry as they should be.

These versions on the other hand are amazing

youtube.com/watch?v=zsnvNwlGg1o

I don't really feel strongly about it either way. Gave it a few listens, was a decent release but probably won't listen again unless I go on a big NIN kick.

Actually, that's really awesome. 1,000,000 was one of The Slip songs I *didn't* like, but this version might actually change that. Thanks for sharing, man.

youtube.com/watch?v=mWZzEZsx66A

They did like almost entirety of the album like this, expect for Demon Seed and the instrumental tracks.

This one's great, too. Again, a song I didn't think much of from the original studio album. Sounds so much better here!

What did you think of Hesitation Marks?

I loved Hesitation Marks. I considered it one of his best Post-Fragile. Now I am not so sure since I felt in love with Year Zero and Not The Actual Events.

But Hesitation Marks is very high on my list. I think it's an LP without any single bad track, most of them are amazing. And you got "must haves" like "Various Methods Of Escape, I Would For You, In Two, While I'm Stil Here".

It's an album with a lot of to offer, very diverse songs yet all keep these same rules and tyles which gives Hesitation Marks its own indentity.

I enjoyed also the various call backs to The Downward Spiral, it can easily be intepreted as its sequel to that album. As suspicously the first half of the album is about the protagonist "coming back" and trying to find a new path. Only for the "voice" to come back in "All Time Low". So, the album upon further analysis can also become really dark (just like entire NIN's discography).

Awesome stuff. I just feel like that perhaps some tracks go on for too long, I think particularly Find My Way maybe could have been little bit shorter.

Yeah, pretty much the same for me, I really liked Hesitation Marks. Find My Way I wasn't very keen on, but the rest of the album made up for that.

I like that they got Russel Mills to do the art again, to me I see HM as a reimagined TDS, but I like thinking of it as a sort of sequel as well.

Personally, TDS is my favorite album, solely because the use of motifs, symbolism and the concept overall is genius and executed effectively. PHM is a close second, and Broken a close third. I like Fragile, but I like Broken and PHM slightly more.

My favorite album is The Downward Spiral as well precisely for the same reasons as yours, when I was just listening to Closer and I suddenly noticed The Downward Spiral mottif at the end it blew my mind.

The Fragile does the same thing with mottifs and symbolism, yet The Fragile is less linear and feels slightly more "messy". There is a story going on yet it is harder to grasp upon and more open to interpretation than The Downward Spiral is. I think that is the way to describe The Fragile. It's such a hard listen though, not due to its style, I'd argue that the way The Fragile sounds is more accesible than TDS but its lenght is sometimes really hard to get through in one sitting.

So, I'd put The Downward Spiral at the absolute top, probably The Fragile right after that, then, I just don't know. I love NIN records equally. I never really knew what to think of PHM, I like it too but I feel like it's the only record that shows its age a little bit.

Link?

youtube.com/watch?v=SgPG-JSAd9Q

play.spotify.com/album/2fThnKRzs6iudIAzHP9VOa?play=true&utm_source=open.spotify.com&utm_medium=open

play.google.com/store/music/album/Nine_Inch_Nails_Not_The_Actual_Events?id=Bfrxqqk7wmvaga32xpvezpm4p5q

I feel like The Fragile is probably a better representation, musically, of hitting 'rock bottom'; like you said it's messy, and harder to grasp. For some reason I've always assumed that was intentional, and though I really like it, it is a long listen. So I'll admit I haven't listened through it as many times as the others.

PHM doesn't date as well as the others, I don't know if you've heard Purest Feeling but that's objectively even more dated (it's a demo tape though so that's why) although Twist (which was tweaked to be Ringfinger on PHM) is great.

I really don't like That's What I Get, not sure why he kept that on there. But then again this is the guy who thought performing a song about suicide ideation on USA Dance Party was a good idea:

youtube.com/watch?v=whVtrLrTWwE

Thought it was pretty alright, cunts are overhypin it a wee bit tho

To be fair I haven't seen any discussion of the new EP anywhere yet (except for in this thread)

Oh yeah, I heard Purest Feeling, it's really weird listening to it right now.

I really don't like That's What I Get either, it's too corny for me and probably worst lyrics from him, I can handle "Sin" and that song screams very clearly about the idea of rejection. But I like Sin. Probably because Trent sings pretty well in that, it's nicely agressive and catchy, That's What I Get is arguably Trent at his worst probably where his vocal delivery is clumsy and lyrics are really bad as I've said before. I think it's this one song that is putting me away from listening to PHM too much.

And I bet you heard of Trent's story regarding Dance Party" but I will post it for other anons who might have not seen it

>“Many years ago, a young and naive Nine Inch Nails were asked what TV shows they’d be interested in appearing on. As a joke (and likely drunk), they thought of the most absurd choice they could come up with at the time.

>They were then informed their bluff had been called and were actually booked on said show (thanks again Sioux Z). They hopped in their Honda Civic touring vehicle (hatchback) and travelled many miles to (I think) NJ for the big show.

>They had a laugh making fun of the people, their fashion choices and hairstyles. Life was good. Years later, the internet is discovered… There’s a moral in there somewhere.”

Haha, yes, definitely know that story. Even the fact that it's so obviously a lip-synched performance makes me laugh. That whole thing is a beautiful disaster.

Sin is great. One of my friends who is also a NIN fan claims it's their favorite track by them, ever. I dig the opening, it's so catchy (in a good way).

Off-topic, but wow, what an asshole that audience member was: youtube.com/watch?v=kA_-Y_hH0-g

I'm not really into Sonic Youth but I definitely know what you mean. also checked

> Trent:´"All right, cool! Head Like A Hole!"
>The Hand That Feeds starts playing

Fucking based.

Almost as good as the time he got pissed mad as the microphone cut out during a performance of Head Like A Hole

ITT post cute trents

I'm sure this is some form of bait but fuck you, this actually is cute.

youtube.com/watch?v=fGKum5jjvks

I think audience is pretty hillarious in this

>OH COME ON
>FUCK HIM UP

This never gets old.

NIN is the clearest example of 'momrock' there is right now. It's probably unfair, but I just can't hear it without thinking of my mom waiting to pick me up for school with her music just slightly too loud, so I'm embarrassed and I have to make some excuse to go back inside while my friends get picked up so they don't see me get in the car with the cringy music comming out of.

>That sound of the piano dropping

Naaaah, user, Florence + Machine still takes the cake for most momrockiest band.

....school? ...how old are you? reported.

Seen a couple n a few folk are on about how its a return to his heavier shite but am no seein it myself pal

nice bait, here' your (you)

he's actually gorgeous

>but am no seein it myself pal
Try to listen' to the music pal rather than watchin', you ain't gettin' much enjoyment ova music witha eyes my mafioso.

But seriously, it is definetelly heavier like his past stuff, to claim otherwise is rather strange.

>11 posters ITT

who the fuck is doubleposting/baiting here

posting Cute Reznor

For majority of the thread it was two guys talking.

1985ish reznor a cute. CUTE

>Actually leaving the house...
Kek

mfw get booked at metal clubs, and patrons call me a faggot so I make out with little Richard Patrick just to piss them off.

no homo tho just to b8 the h8

fuck I read something about that on a NIN memes page on FB this afternoon

apparently Trent got a boner and ran away

I think Trent is a bisexual, he used to say he think he would be really good at giving a head.

>“I don't know why I wanted to do these things, other than my desire to escape from Small Town, U.S.A., to dismiss the boundaries, to explore. It isn't a bad place where I grew up, but there was nothing going on but the cornfields. My life experience came from watching movies, watching TV and reading books and looking at magazines. And when your fucking culture comes from watching TV every day, you're bombarded with images of things that seem cool, places that seem interesting, people who have jobs and careers and opportunities. None of that happened where I was. You're almost taught to realize it's not for you.”

not as much a qt as downward spiral era trent though

Something like that.

Jesus christ I have accumulated far too many pictures of him.

>"I love your work, but jesus christ don't eat me.

NERRD

TRONT SMASH

Keep an eye out for tour updates on the official site. You'll be surprised.

>MYSELF KEEPS SLIPPING AWAY

!!! Please come to LA

>MAYBE I'M ALL MESSED UP
Seriously, Trent running away with a boner is tthe funniest thing to imagine.

The question is what did he do with the boner straight after

>I COULD BURN

why don't we have /nin/ generals more often

my thoughts exactly user

He sang to it "You make this all go away"

On the road, Trent Reznor tells me, he goes through phases: "Self-destruct mode, repair mode, and then enjoy life mode. Followed by self-destruct mode." Just before Christmas he felt himself nudging toward self-destruct mode, then something pulled him headlong into it. He and his golden retriever Maise had been together for three years. She was visiting him on tour. When he came offstage in Columbus, something was wrong. "Come right now," they said. "It's Maise."

Maise had been playing. She had jumped over a railing, expecting there to be the same ground on the landing side as the leaping side. It was fifty feet down. Trent hurried to the vet's. Maise was struggling to get up, but she couldn't. Her back was broken. There was nothing anybody could do, except the only thing we know how to do when we can't mend something.

That was a bad day. Mr.Self-Destruct came to stay for a while after that. Over the last few years, Trent has stripped his life down. Everything that might have mattered apart from Nine Inch Nails he has either rejected or made it reject him. When he went on tour he didn't even have a home to go back to. Maise was his last link with a life you might call normal. And now she was gone.

This afternoon, when all the questions had been asked, he had fetched some photos. He handed me a few snapshots of his new house. It has lovely Southern balconies. He said it will be nice to do things he has never had the chance to, like "picking out kitchen sink units." He sifted through his other snapshots, fanning them closely in front of his face like a careful card player. He showed me maybe one in ten, mostly of Maise and him, lying together on beds. One is just Maise alone, staring into the camera. "Her last photo," he said. He told me he'd maybe like to act, and when I asked what he'd think about if he needed to cry on cue, he said: "Whatever's on top of the sad pile. Probably Maise dying."

dying

fuck you please don't let this become a copypasta

Michael Trent Reznor's parents both grew up in the same small Pennsylvania town, Mercer, where he would spend his childhood. They got married when they were still teenagers because they had to. His father was named Michael, so they always called their son Trent.

Michael Sr. was a commercial artist; his wife was a homemaker. But they were too young for all of this. When Trent was five, after his sister Tera was born, his father had a talk with him. "I'm leaving." "When are you coming back?" "I'm not coming back." Trent just didn't understand what that meant. All he could think about was their Saturday trips down to the drugstore, where they'd sit at the soda fountain. A cherry Coke for Trent, a chocolate Coke for Dad. What about that?

Afterward, though his parents were nearby, he lived with his grandparents. Several times he tells me how much he loves them: "I don't want to give the impression it was a miserable childhood."

Irrelevant but that photo looks nothing like him.

>when you're minding your own business and the keyboard you're playing fucks up and the boss turns around and looks at you like this.

Trent making out with Richard is a kink I never knew I secretly had. Holy shit.

Interviewer: In your songs, sex always seems very carnal and violent. And watching your videos, one might guess that you have a personal interest in masochism.

Trent: I do, to a degree. I'm not a hard-core practitioner.

Interviewer: So do you like pain during sex?

Trent: Sometimes. Just the psychology behind it. I'm some- what uncomfortable talking about this too much...

Interviewer: Have you ever kissed a man?

Trent: Yes, I've kissed a man.

Interviewer: In the fullest sense?

Trent: Almost. A veil of drunkeness. It was kind of a mutual thing. It was weird. It was half-joking around. It was bristly. And later-in the old Nine Inch Nails-if we wanted to get rid of people, the guitarist and I would start making out. It was a trick. I mean, I really love women. I don't dislike men, and there's many times I've thought about it. You get into certain scenes, and I realize I should experiment down that path, and I just haven't done it yet. I've been in situations where there's men involved, but not directly interacting.

Interviewer: So are there a lot of orgies around the Reznor household?

Trent: No, no, it's not a common situation. When I'm in a relationship that overpowers the desire to...these usually arise from casual situations, usually intoxicated situations. You wake up and think, "Okay, we just stepped through another portal..." (pause) I think about giving head, though. I don't know why I'm saying this, but I think about that. I'd be good at giving head, because I know what...(laughs)...I mean, no one knows how to jack yourself off better than yourself, you know?
Interviewer: Which kiss will you remember forever?

Trent: (extremely long pause) I don't know.
Interviewer: Are no kisses coming to mind, or various kisses?

Trent: A variety of ones that are pretty high up there. It's the combination of the right environment and the right set of lips.

By Chris Heath for Details on April 1, 1995

This is the best subthread I have ever seen on mu ever.

Interviewer: Are no kisses coming to mind, or various kisses?

Trent: A variety of ones that are pretty high up there. It's the combination of the right environment and the right set of lips.

Interviewe: So it's a ranking problem rather than a memory problem?

Trent: Yeah. (a lengthy pause) From my dog, Maise, licking me in the mouth, after I had passed out drinking. I was sleeping with my mouth open and Maise never does that normally. (he nearly always speaks of her in the present tense in spite of her demise)

Interviewer: Did you kiss back?

Trent: A little kiss back. I prefer to kiss her on the side of the mouth rather than getting right in. It's kind of incestuous, you understand, because she's part of the family.

Interviewer: What should a woman never do on a date with you?

Trent: It's all good. (pause) But usually fart lighting is not one of my favourites.

The next day, Trent offers a postmortem: "I woke up in a cold sweat this morning, fearing I've revealed too much. I started getting that uneasy feeling". I am not sure what he means, and he doesn't elaborate. About half an hour later he sighs, under his breath, "The big headline: I COULD SUCK A MAN'S COCK..."

>I COULD SUCK A MAN'S COCK...
Legit this sounds like one of his lyrics

it's like this in a lot of /nin/ threads