New Mew track Carry Me To Safety

Thoughts?

youtube.com/watch?v=6w8SpxnhKuI

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Brt-qjtdTIM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Great production
No idea what the chord progression was there

I love how it sounds. They've still got it, they just need to polish it and make it flow better. That's what made their early music fantastic IMO, though they still put out some very good tracks.

youtube.com/watch?v=Brt-qjtdTIM

God this band has terrible sense of aesthetics
Not to mention their infamous covers

Frengers is a fantastic cover. That's about it though. I wish they would improve there, if only because they're probably getting less attention due to the awkward covers (especially +-)

bump

>only 2 years since last album
>no Bo
>self-produced
>no Bo
>closing track is the first single instead of the 10/10 epic of the last four albums
>NO BO

New track is good but I feel like this will be a lesser release from them. Hope this isn't the beginning of the end.

New cover is pretty nice though

This song suffers from the same issue that made most of +- so forgettable for me, it's pleasant on the ears but nothing about it really stands out

yep, that's a Mew album cover

This. Please make more prog rock, mew

Cmon dude that's way better than their previous ones. Nothing wrong with some lights on a face

Holy shit mew has a new album coming out?

Guess that makes up for the long ass wait on +-

it's probably their best since Frengers, but thats not saying much

No more stories and +- have great cover art.

No just no

I kinda like it, at least is way better than And the glass handed kites' cover

Really pleasant surprise. Wasn't expecting another album for like five years especially after Bo left. New song is good too.

Also agree with this . Mew are one of my favourite bands but they're awful graphic designers. Still think pic related is an amazing cover though and it's the reason I listened to the album in the first place.

No More Stories cover is good though..
I heard Anthony never listens to them because of Jonas' voice

Yeah, I can literally only remember two songs from that album right now and after this I'm really worried this one will go in the same direction. It's a good song but only if placed in a context where every other song doesn't sound exactly like it.

I think their main issue lately is that the rhythms have gotten generic. Mew always used to have such creative and memorable grooves, even in 4/4 they could work some mixed triplet magic and make it noteworthy. They excel at making lush, beautiful atmospheres too but you need more than that to give the album some sense of shape.

i miss the heaviness that Frengers and Glass Handed Kits had.

I remember them explaining that they got bored with weird rythyms/song structures and wanted to start focusing on the chord progressions instead. I guess your reaction to +- depends on what you're looking for in their music. I like it quite a bit but I also have more general interest in melody and atmosphere than rythym.

Would be nice to get some of that weirdness back though.

Oh did they? Anywhere I could read or see that? Also I'm not really sure why they can't do both, it's not like you have to choose between rhythm or harmony and they're not exactly churning these songs out at a breakneck pace.

That's a real bummer though, I've been holding out for a Kites 2.0 forever and now I guess we'll never get it.

I don't remember where it was, I think it was just an offhand answer in some interview. I'd love a Kites 2 but I think now that Bo is gone that's probably impossible.

And the Glass Handed Kites is a top 10 album for me but I really like the dreaminess of their last two. They sound so gorgeous that I don't really miss the raucousness of Kites and Frengers.

Kek I love this pic

>now that Bo is gone that's probably impossible.
What were his contributions to Frengers/Kites?

All the guitars, main songwriter next to Jonas. Many Mew songs have started from his riffs and the dude has a very unique energy that you can't easily replicate or replace.

If my expectations weren't so high from Kites and No More Stories it'd be top tier