Record Store Appreciation

Remember record stores? Let's talk about the record stores we used to visit (or still visit) and the shit we got there.

go away city boy

RIP. Kentucky homies know.
now i live in Washington and go to Rainy Day records. Not quite the same as my hometown record store which closed.

One good thing about Itunes and digital media in general is that you don't have to talk to people when buying music you want. Why the fuck people that work in record stores are so fucking pretentious? You couldn't ask about albums or artists that they didn't like because they would start lecturing you about how that band was shit and how that old generic blues was so much better and all that snobish crap.

Long in the Tooth in Philly is great. I got Tago Mago and Spiderland brand new on vinyl there, and I think I saw a White Light From the Mouth of Infinity record on display there, looked like it was in good condition too

Any /rochester/ fags here

I live in a small town with a local record store. Eveyrhting is overpriced as fuck though (one CD is $18).

I kind of want a job there though, what do you need to work at one?

there is more then one rochester

the new york one

Exiled Records here in Portland is dope as fuck. The owner is friends with Richard Bishop.

Do you live in the movie "High Fidelity"? No record store clerk I've spoken to has ever done this and I've been to a good number. The only bad experience I've ever gotten was this one exchange where I found like four used Led Zep and two Pink Floyd records in the new arrivals section and said "Lucky me finding all of these for cheap in one place, huh?" to which he replied "Well, they're all pretty popular, so I don't think I'd call it luck." or something to that effect. That pissed me off but I'm not an insecure fuck so I didn't let it bother me for a second after I stepped out of the door. Dude seems like a sperg anyhow cuz one time I saw someone dig through a crate of unpriced records and he stumbled over and told him to stop while his voice shook nervously, so I'm not gonna take that encounter as anything more than a gentle spergout.

Record stores are for the hipsters. Only true underground heads buy straight from the label online or at live shows.

Yeah it's always the other way around with me as a customer talking shit about what they're playing and then they literally flip out on me.

I usually hit up Everyday Music here in Seattle. Great vinyl selection and cheap used stuff.

the one in portland is good too

Do you usually go to small and old rock-centered record stores? The people working there have to be old too.

thanks for the heads up.
I'm about to head down to Portland to go see WWE Raw and I was looking for record stores to hit up but there are so fucking many in that city. Here in Olympia we only have 2.

Small, yes, rock-centered, not really. The two I visit the most have a lot of variety and everyone who works there seems no older than 30ish.

30 is pretty young. Try going to a record store where the owner/clerks are on their seventies. I guess the worst people are those who were in the business in the 60s and 70s and have a fucked up mentality with pop and bands that "sell out"..

I'll admit, that does seem like a shitty time. One of the local stores is owned by an old dude but he's nice to me too. I asked if I could drop off an application to work there and he asked if I knew Pavement and Miles Davis so he's up on non dadrock and seems like a chill dude. Plus one time I pulled out a Phil Spector anthology collection and he talked to me for a little about when he was young and first heard Phil Spector's stuff. Nice dude.

I guess it's all subjective but I can see how stores run by bitter old people would be a negative environment.

>he asked if I knew Pavement and Miles Davis

bit of a leap

I can't say I've had a bad experience like that at a record store. Most of the employees I've interacted with are pretty open minded about what people listen to. The only "bad" experiences I've had are from the employees who don't really respond. I just chalked it up to having to put up with bullshit from other customers.

I am STILL upset about Other Music in NYC shutting down that place was the absolute shit and I can't find any other record stores like that in the city. It had a lot of recent records that I haven't been able to find anywhere else. If anyone knows a place like that in NYC I would be forever indebted to you

The only real record store in Cape Town is Mabu Vinyl, their selection isn't that great but it is notable for being involved in the finding Sugarman project

The Rock Shop in Plymouth Meeting is literally 10/10

Yeah, I grab my laserdiscs there

I'm curious about this as well. It seems like the vast majority of the places I've visited in New York are used record stores. Rebel Rebel in the West Village seemed like it was decent but Jesus Christ that place was a clusterfuck. Cramped and difficult to browse. Still sucks that it closed.

I was reading that Generations Record a few blocks south of WSP on Thompson St is a good place to go if you're into punk/meal.

>buying shit firsthand instead of secondhand
all of you overconsuming morons are getting financially fucked over every time you buy anything

Cheap Thrills in Montreal
decent new arrivals, cool books, friendly staff

any of the english run stores in Montreal are sweet, or at least the ones with affiliations to BSTB and POP
Phonopolis, Soundcentral, Beatnick, Atom Heart - all good

fuck 33 tours, pretentious staff, dickheads to anglos, overpriced selection. they also got rid of the 7" room which was the only reason to go there

There's a few in Milwaukee that are pretty nice. I picked up an original copy of Person Pitch at The Exclusive Company about two weeks ago. My favorite is a place though called Toad Hall in Rockford Illinois. Pretty bad and overpriced new section but their used stuff is absolute gold. Never in my life have I seen such an eclectic collection of music. Also I found Geogaddi there in the used section and bought it for maybe ten bucks.

a pulse

Best place on earth.

it's really shitty of them to raise the price on their own exclusives once they have a limited supply. garbage business.

Yeah I've heard of that place too. I'm not really hugeeee into either of those although no doubt there'd be some good stuff there

I think I've been there. Is there a downstairs with boxes of cheap records? And a small t-shirt rack? Was a pretty cool place yeah

Reckless Records in Chicago is the tits

Eh they only have a decent selection in the bigger stores like in Boston. Plus they're not exclusively music; half the store is hipster shit.

>tfw I buy all my shit online

There are two local record stores I usually buy from, and both have their own webstore frontends.

Their was no record store like Other Music, I still remember the smell of coffee when walking inside.
That place was magical.

just came back from the milwaukee location. bought a negativland album for $9 hell yeah

broadway location is GOAT though

I still go to them. They're alive and well. What post-capitalist shithole do you live in where there are no more old fashioned small businesses?

Any decent record stores around Dublin for anyone from there?

decent digits

Prices at my local record store have skyrocketed ever since vinyl sales starting booming. How long till the bubble bursts do you think?

Spin Dizzy records is decent, in St. Georges Arcade. The Sound Cellar is good if you like classic rock. Tower records as seen here is actually pretty good despite how much hipsters hate it

Used to go to a place called Silver Platters, they had popcorn on record store day, it was sweet.

Wasn't vinyl projected to have like a billion dollars in revenue this year? I don't see it slowing down anytime soon, unfortunately. I see more and more people with Crosleys.

>I see more and more people with Crosleys.

True, but I think a lot of people grow out of them. I've had a few friends ditch theirs for actual proper entry level shit when they really started collecting records.

Any Colorado-fags here? Black and Read is the shit

What city is it in? Im chicago but I drive out there sometimes

Looks comfy

Krazy Bob's, in Bumfuck, Canada

Love the place, despite Bob and his cronies being creepy motherfuckers and inside looking like an episode of Hoarders

Any Boston area anons willing to give any recommendations? Newbury Comics is alright but I'm looking for more variety.

It's in Arvada, a bit West of Denver

shout out to /sydneyfags/

The fuck, how long's that been there

fuck yeah exiled, i live 10 minutes from there

Amoeba, Hollywood. Always end up blowing an entire paycheck.

We really have lost a national treasure like that place was peerless

love Cheap Thrills. great selection of metal and experimental and it's so comfy as a store

La Fin and Freeason are pretty cool too

Who /Baltimore/ here

I live in Bumfuck NE Ohio. There's a store not 15 minutes from my place. Selection used to be pretty ass. Then one day they announce that the fucking foo fighters are playing a show their on RSD. After, it became my favorite (only) local record store.