How come a 6/10 album is so widely acclaimed?

How come a 6/10 album is so widely acclaimed?

I honestly have no idea. People hype it up to be something out of this world, and in reality it's just boring. also checked

>teenagers who are too ADHD to pay attention to the tinier details that makes this album amazing

dude

>that album
>tiny details

kek

Who knows, honestly?

>Quadraphonic stereo
>little sounds coming in and out of the mix all the time
>no tiny details
I see you have yet to fully grow up.

wasn't it THE album to test stereos with?

>Quadraphonic stereo
>2 ears

Kid A of the 70s
nothing too special or influential just reasonable

More of a 4/10 desu

>DSotM
>6/10

You're right, it's a 3/10.

I always think Dark Side of the Moon is overrated until I relisten to it then I realize it's probably underrated.
The fact rolling Stone didn't rank it in the top 20 of the 500 greatest albums of all time is bullshit. At least in terms of mainstream music, it's one of the greatest of all time.

I like your digits, OP. However the reason it's so acclaimed is that the biggest record company decided to promote it heavily in a period where record companies had all the power. People have a tendency to like 6/10 albums and by sheer numbers due to promotion it gets memed as the best record ever.

>dud e its an amazing album because you can hear the drummer fart at the precise moment brain damage transitions to eclipse
Fuck off

This is the real 6/10. DSotM is a 8/10

quads confirm
this isn't their best but definitely their most popular

I think it's overrated but it's still a great album.

thats 7.5/10

>talking in ridiculous hyperbole, style over substance bullshit to support their own argument
I'll only fuck off if you kill yourself and your stupid childish ilk. DSOTM is a busy as fuck record, but everything done subtly so it's all cohesive and not wank nor boring.

Normies ruined this album for me. Everytime I think about it now I think of rage comics and 9gag.

because bro you gotta SMOKE WEED first!

just listened to it for the first time.
and it was surprisingly thin sounding considering i've heard so much about the crazy good production.
i think everyone is just talking about the extreme panning of the guitar and sound effects which is a fairly lazy way of creating clarity on a track, definitely over used on DSotM

overall i would say it sounds like the Beatles if they were trying to be edgy
3/10

holy fuck if this isnt bait just kys

>falling for le quadraphonic stereo meme

I know one of the faggots over at /daily/ legitimately believes this. But then, that guy's also only 16.

>can't into kinetics nor psychoacoustics in music
>being this much of a pleb

i am 20
and not baiting (no proof of course), but feel free to tell me where you disagree

Its good and all but Atom Heart Mother is better

thats why people rate it low now, because of the entry level children who cant be arsed to listen to meddle or patgod

It was pretty ground breaking for it's time and it sounds fantastic on acid, which didn't hurt since it was released at the height of the LSD craze. II think it was on the top 100 charts for over 20 years.

...But then you remember that Rolling Stone ranked it as the #1 greatest prog album of all time, above fucking ItCotCK and Foxtrot, and you realize that it is overrated as fuck and Rolling Stone is retarded.

Seriously, it's not even prog!

It's better than Foxtrot, but not as good as ITCOTCK.
7.5/10. Maybe 4th or 5th best Floyd album.

You talk like a fucking idiot.
>thin sounding
maybe try listening to music on something that isn't your iphone speaker?
>i think everyone is just talking about the extreme panning of the guitar and sound effects which is a fairly lazy way of creating clarity on a track, definitely over used on DSotM
The technology to create a unique sound is used brilliantly and their is hardly an overuse of panning. The brilliance of the production is the way every instrument works together in such elegance to create a beautiful sound.

>overall i would say it sounds like the Beatles if they were trying to be edgy
this is something I would expect a 14 y/o to say. Listen to more music, and especially listen to more Pink Floyd.

>it sounds like the Beatles if they were trying to be edgy
this has to be bait

It was the first 6/10 ever made.

>better than Foxtrot

I definitely think it's better than any record released in the progressive rock genre. That being said, DSOTM is definitely not prog, it's art rock.

It was cutting edge, but still melodic, catchy as fuck and easily accessible for plebes. Constant rotation on classic rock radio for all of the tracks except Speak to Me, On the Run and Any Colour You Like, only threw fuel on the fire. Not their best effort, but still, it's a solid album. 8/10

>I definitely think it's better than any record released in the progressive rock genre.

>I definitely think it's better than any record released in the progressive rock genre
c'mon now

lmao stfu you k-on fag

I don't care for meaningless wank sections in popular music. It just sounds like a disingenuous attempt at some kind of dumb classical/jazz "influence".

Supper's Ready is better than anything King Crimson ever did, or ever could do.

>I definitely think it's better than any record released in the progressive rock genre.
not even the best Floyd album

The fact that it's the only thing about PF normies know about, bugs me really bad. Also when people call it the best prog album ever.

lol, see it bugs me normies have never heard such masterpieces as echoes or dogs

Stop pls

It is not even a 6/10, I'd rate it 3/10.
So bland.

I love Genesis but King Crimson in every lineup had infinitely more talent and made much better music than Genesis

This. The funny thing is that SR is only the second-best track on Foxtrot.

Like I said , I am not interested in long instrumental wanks that aren't all that interesting. It's like some shit attempt at adapting classical/jazz forms without understanding what makes them work.

>have people over chilling around a fire in my back yard
>listening to Meddle
>everyone keeps asking who it is
>they say it doesn't sound like Pink Floyd
I have never lost a buzz that fast ever.

Prime example of Sup Forums hiveminding against something because it's very popular. Le reddit teenagers like it, must be bad! Sold 40 million, must be bad! So they'll listen to it with this cognitive bias and won't like it.

But in reality this album is good enough to be Sup Forumscore, but then again Sup Forumscore was never about quality, which is why King Krimson and their 15 minute triangle solos are held in higher regard. Don't mind me, I'll just continue listening to music that makes my ears feel good.

Any reasons for this rating? We can't have a discussion if you just state your opinion in one sentence like this.

lol

Childhood is admiring 70s Pink Floyd. Adulthood is realizing 60s Pink Floyd makes more sense

Hello Scriminamp.

Senility is finally realising that the moo-moo album was the only good one.

But atom heart mother was released in the 70s?

Because that song "Clocks" is pretty good

>implying Meddle isn't their best

its not
Atom Heart Mother is though

One of these days I'm gonna cut you into little pieces

>album with 20 minute wankfest
>good

>not liking Echoes
wew

>little sounds coming in and out of the mix all the time
oh wow so does art angels
that has nothing to do with growing up, what the fuck are you talking about

It's in teen's nature to try to be as contrarian and edgy as possible, for example by shitting widely acclaimed albums, hence the grow up part

and how many years later than dsotm did art angels come out?

Everyone listens to Dark Side early on. Some use it as a stepping stone in to more complex, serious music, some just continue to listen to The Beatles and Lady Gaga.

Nice quads my guy
This is more true

>comparing Art Angel's baby tier attempt at mixing many sounds to DSOTM's
>twisting the words like that other guy
Insecure or genuinely deaf?

On the Run was done with a bank of many reel to reel tape players with multiple people starting and stopping them at the precise time. Now Grimes can do that with Protools in her bedroom while she attempts to pop that troublesome pimple on her chin.

>A Side is literally a bunch of throwaway tracks
>their best

>A side of Meddle
>a bunch of throw away tracks

And there's not a damn thing you can do to stop me ! HAHAHA

Anything Floyd made after TPatGoD is highly overrated! I mean no lyrics about sex, drug, women! WTF man!

>One of These Days
>Fearless
>throwaway tracks

Literally eat a dick

It's honestly the third or fourth best album in their discography but Pink Floyd loved to tinker with new technology as a way of furthering their sound, and DSotM did that better than any of their other albums. It might sound dated today because so many production techniques they used are now considered fundamental in a lot of genres, but they were doing this shit like 50 years ago.

I personally think Meddle and Animals are both better, but to call DSotM a 6/10 is pure bait. Any Colour You Like is literally the perfect psychedelic rock song. Nobody before or since has done it better.

you find albums get more acclaim by having a popular census of being ok at the worst, then being praised by an obscure fandom

DsotM was one of those albums nearly anyone who listened to it thought was at least ok

>this is what poptimists actually believe
LMAO

Dark Side of the Moon feels so empty honestly

It feels like there should be 2 or 3 more layers/intruments at any given time

Fantano pls go

Based user speaks the truth

Actually this. DSoTM is the Undertale of music. It's a great album brought down by it's pretentious and annoying following. To be quite honest with you I don't care about the details that were put into it, and I recognize that the only time the bass worked is in Money because it's entirely forgettable the rest of the album. It's not a DEEP album, it has good production values and is friendly prog-psy so many people can listen to it without feeling annoyed.

The reason why I like it and I consider it to be at least an 8/10 it's because it simply sounds good. Not even as psy or prog because its composition is rather simple, but its a hella good rock album. Have you ever heard something and while taking apart memedom and level of composition thought to yourself "this sounds nice"? I do, that's why I listen to many genres and don't care about how DEEP or COMPLEX they are. DSoTM is an album that I can always hear without feeling overwhelmed because the real way to enjoy it is by paying attention to every little tiny detail there is so I don't lose track of the proggresion.

tl;dr: yeah it has a rather simple composition but it just sounds good from start to finish.

Best part is, Pink Floyd has perfected that "deep" not in DSotM plenty of times.

Except there's plenty of widely acclaimed, bestselling music that I do like. I just don't happen to care for DSotM. It's almost like music is subjective.

I listened to DSOTM a few weeks ago for the first time. I mostly listen to electronic music like house, techno, ambient and experimental, and had never seriously listened to rock before hearing it. I was expecting it to be overrated crap because of what Sup Forums said about it, but i was pleasantly surprised. I really enjoyed it and would give it an easy 9/10. I honestly think its acclaim is well deserved. Keep in mind that i listened to DSOTM without the influence of having listened to a lot of other rock or prog, so i critique it as it stands on its own, with no other influences.

imo its an 8/10

nowhere near one of the best albums every but still pretty great

>listen to money on 4.1
>sound effects in Left
>Center
>Right
>Left
>center
>Right

Feels like I'm in a money store

whoah.... Alan Parsons used a cash register....... truly this is the greatest album of all time

>technical achievement doesnt matter if I dont like the album

I don't know why yall are complaining. It should be critically acclaimed cause it's really good.

I'll bet my six shekels that this dyke hasn't even heard the album.

its a fucking great album- anyone who doesnt think so is an ignorant plebeian.

/thread

7/10 probably
literally baby's first full album that handholds the listener to no end

Sup Forums BTFO

>Alan Parsons using the same cash register that was used for Yellow Submarine is the epitome of technical achievement, the album is GOAT
Rly activated my almonds