FL studio, Pro Tools, Ableton or Logic Pro?

FL studio, Pro Tools, Ableton or Logic Pro?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QEUGilncRJs
youtube.com/watch?v=BGYgxSggwuw
retrothing.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83452989a69e20120a942f7e5970b-pi
youtube.com/watch?v=pVubPOUBLyo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Learning to play a REAL instrument you plen

gonna' have to agree with this here

why
because you should?
says who? for what purpose?
and why should they be heard?
depends entirely what you want to do

Bump. Which is the best alternative for someone who has used Logic Pro but can't afford a new mac?

fl studio

ableton is great for loops, but really too different from the logic setup

pro tools may also works
youtube.com/watch?v=QEUGilncRJs

I use ProTools and a mac, it has it's pluses and minuses. I mostly use it to record bands live and mix them down later.

youtube.com/watch?v=BGYgxSggwuw

Cubase on Atari ST

I use Ableton and it's pretty good. IDK about Pro Tools, but FL Studio and Logic Pro are just as good from what I've heard and seen. >pleb
kys
Also, what the fuck, you can own a guitar and use a DAW at the same time.

ableton has a completely different setup
it is has the least resemblance to all of the others
people won't know their eyes from their ass

god DAMN

Also, after scouring ebay for a while, I was able to find a used Mac for about 220$ and got the ProTools 11 license for about 130$. Add in the iLok for about 30$ and the transfer fee which was like 30$ if I recall correctly. So, just a touch over 400$ for the whole she-bang. Give or take, which isn't bad. Also, I only use the Mac for music, nothing else. I've already made many times that much selling board recordings to the bands I've mixed for.

FL stude 4 begin

eno would be proud

Hell. I'm proud of myself. Music pays my rent.

Ableton

fl studio is babbys first DAW
fucc protools
ableton is good
never used logic but lots of my friends do, seems good but i hear it has a steeper learning curve than ableton

Even if you know how to play a thousand instruments, you still need to be able to use a DAW nowadays.

retrothing.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83452989a69e20120a942f7e5970b-pi

FYI, ProTools newer versions, you have to either buy an annual license 99$ every year or a lifetime one for 300$, I think. That's what I heard from my friend who uses it, anyway. My version, 11, has an indefinite license, which never runs out, but I can't upgrade.

really? can i hear it?

If you're serious on music production go with Logic.
If you're a memer go with ableton.
If you don't care and want easy mode, go with FL Studio.
If you're a nerd go with pro tools.

I don't have anything uploaded.

yet it pays your rent? how?

>If you're a memer go with ableton.
what do you mean by this?

probably thinks
>edm=meme

I have a pretty good PA system and do freelance live front of house, augmented by selling board mixes to the bands I run for and also by playing in bands.

live shows, probably

what about sony acid?

oh wow that sounds amazing!
genre?

youtube.com/watch?v=pVubPOUBLyo

bad voice, good content

Wheres the love for Reaper? Cheap DAW (and you technically don't have to pay for it, the trial never runs out) but very powerful and robust.

all those dank 17 year old east European edm autists start on fl studio

pretty sure Martin Garrix did an interview with people after Animals and he showed off his arrangement on a pirated copy of FL Studio

And how do you expect to record a real instrument without a DAW (other than an analog set-up)

>current year
>not recording on 20 year+ antiquated technology
>not sacrificing the quality of your music for "indie low-fi" A E S T H E T I C

jokes on them, i just layer analog tape crackle on all my songs

yeah i'm trying to learn logic atm and it's making me feel retarded.

Any good guides/videos are appreciated

What ever pays. I get hired by bands and/or promoters. I do a shit ton of metal and HC shows. R&B, acoustic, funk. Rock, Whatever. This past weekend, I had a 7 band local metal show on Friday and I did a hippy jam B.O. and patchouli band. I do a lot of bands that are on club tours as well. Sometimes the tours have their own sound guy. Sometimes not. Either way, I get paid the same. I've gotten to run sound for a lot of fairly famous bands. Sometimes, I just get to crew. It's always fun but it is a lot of work.

wish i knew, but everyone i know who uses logic learned shit by just endlessly fucking around with the program until they got good at it

how did you get started? was it being in the right place, knowing the right people?

Ableton is the best no question.

Kind of. It just sort of snowballed. I was in a band and started to acquire gear because I got tired of giving half our money to a sound guy. Started small, picked up used stuff here and there. Prowled Craigslist and pawnshops. The used section at Guitar center online. From there, I started doing shows for local original bands in small clubs for little to no pay to hone my skills and learn the ropes. Caught the attention of better local bands, clubs and promoters, got better jobs, invested in more gear, did some local fests, caught the attention of the bigger promoters, bigger clubs, invested in better gear.........It took time. Trial and error. A lot of humping gear. All the money I made early on, I re- invested. Now, I have everything I need and the only money I spend is on gas/van repairs.

terrific story, thank you

This is solid advice user, thank you. Where do yo live? I'm starting to get real serious about earing money with music but I live in a small mexican city and the dream seems far off seems people always want music for little or no money around here.

Anytime. I really enjoy it. It's been worth it. It's a lot of work, but I love music and hanging around with musicians. I've met some really cool ones and some of the craziest assholes you would imagine. Show people are great fun, but some of them are really fucked up.

I'm on the East Coast of the US.

Small city though. 80,000 give or take.

Still not bad. Maybe I'm just being lazy idk. But moving out of the country has been in my mind for a while. I think I'm wasting my talent here.

I live in the country, but commute. I like to play in the city, but fuck living in one. People suck.

That's true, I could move to the capital since there's waaay more musical activity going on there, but it's truly a shit city to live in. I guess I'll just be more active about it.

Thanks tho user, and keep up the good work, you inspired me to keep going.

Cool. You have to be motivated about it. Small steps, but keep moving forward all the time. You can do it.

The work is out there. Someone has to do it. It might as well be you, Amigo.

>take music tech and production back in high school
>all they teach is pro tools and garageband
>still can't play a real instrument
Is there any DAW on Windows that actually works or should I just give up and find a day job?

Small steps, I gotta remember that constantly, thanks.

Yes! That's a statement that keeps me going!
>if you don't do it some unqualified shithead is gonna do it
Thank you user.

Just don't expect to make Kanye $$$ right out of the box. See if you can latch on to a local sound production company, learn from some pros. I pretty much learned on my own, but a little guidance early on would have saved me some hard lessons later.

That's the thing that frustrates me, I'm already good at it. Started playing the guitar almost ten years ago, started getting into production for almost 5, went to a proper production school for 2 years. I've just been way to aspie my whole life so people in the scene don't know I exist.

At least I acknowledge that now so I can change it. I should really go out more and see what the universe has for me.

Yeah. Sometimes it's scary and I feel like I'm in way over my head. Like when I get a booking for a band that I've been a fan of for years far in advance. I'll sit and freak out about it ahead of time and second guess myself, but it always turns out fine. Trust your instincts. If you have a good ear, that's 70% of the battle. The rest is just knowing where to go on the board to get what you want. Or more accurately, get rid of the sounds you don't need. Almost all of my EQs are pulling tones out of instruments rather than adding them. You have an advantage. I had no schooling and no coaching at all.

Don't worry about being weird. Musicians in general, especially pros, are weird as fuck. They're just as aspie as you and me. Show people are screwy.

It wasn't the best school and I wasn't the best student desu. But I've definitely learnt more stuff practicing than going to classes.

That tip about getting rid of frequencies is something I also discovered recently and I got pretty happy about it because my mixes are really starting to sound quite pro. In the past few days I totally got modal music and now I feel invincible theory-wise.

But the insecurity, man. It's something I've been struggling with for years. Only recently it has started to fade away and boy, does it feel good.

It's always good to talk to people going through the same path, it makes me feel that it's not something impossible to achieve. I can't wait for the day I start to work with artists I've been a fan of, I'm very proud of you user, you're making it.

Yeah, I once saw that 1 in 68 people are aspie. That's a reeaaally high number. I'm starting to accept it and overcome it. It feels real good.
Thanks user.

Yeah. Working for bands that you've been a fan of is a rush for sure, but scary. Because you want them to like your work. I mostly get good reviews or indifference. Either is okay with me. I've never had anyone cuss me, thank God. But I've seen it happen. I went to the 4th of July show in my city a few years ago, and the lead singer of a very well known band that the city had hired stopped right in the middle of their biggest hit to bitch at the sound guy. It was my worst nightmare come true, I felt bad for the guy, but it was totally justified. The guy was fucking up. If nobody notices you, then you've done your job.

>If nobody notices you, then you've done your job.
That's very true, and a bit sad, but it's also great when someone who knows his shit congratulates you for your work. Music is a demanding job but I couldn't be happier for working with it.

I get enough accolades from those in the know. The work is it's own reward. And the money. Don't forget about that.

kek, I'll be sure to start working on that, can't wait, really

I gotta leave user, it was a good chat, thanks for it. Keep up the good work, cheers.

Lmms is just as good as fl studio

Good luck Amigo.

>serious on music production go with logic
um, no

i use ableton cause i found it to be really easy and intuitive, however i have never made something and not deleted it immediately after so that might mean something

How come no one mentions Reason?

It has all the tools and adaptability that you will ever need for making music, while being aesthetically pleasing.

cubase is my favorite

It's industry standard, the only competitor is Ableton and it comes down entirely to the studio and artists' direction.

I play guitar, sing, and use fl studio. I can say without a doubt that FL studio is way harder than the others to learn and figure out how to use creatively.

This.

For electronic music production and experimentation I have to say Ableton is the hot ticket. It lends itself to sample-based music. Robert Henke (Monolake) helped design some stuff, particularly the Max granulator.

I grew up using Logic and have completely stopped since I got Ableton. Though I will say that Logic's more recent flex audio is second to none. Logic is the right pick for commercial recording and audio engineering. For example, you can't even make a song that exports at a decent volume if you don't know about signal chains and proper use of dynamics/limiting.

Protools doesn't make sense to me outside of professional studio settings where they're using SSL and shit.

FL Studio is interesting-- I own that one too, but it simply didn't inspire me like Ableton. It seems like a lot of FL's workflow is based around a Roland-style step sequencer. While I love Roland machines, I don't like that mode of operation in a DAW.

IMO if you can get Ableton and great plugins like Waves, you're on top of the world

Garageband

people laugh but garageband is pretty powerful once you know how to use it fully

more than enough to send demos out/amateur publish

good shit user, making the rest of us bargain hunters proud

Renoise

i personally used garageband for like 2 years before jumping to logic, so it was less of a learning curve

Of course, I'm plugging it in to my 2300$ digital mixing board, but I already had that before I bought the other stuff. .

None. Reaper.

But if I had to choose one, Ableton.

But FL Studio is really out of the question.