Who is the David Lynch of the music industry?

Who is the David Lynch of the music industry?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/95rPpCa3Lpg
youtu.be/L3zi9OI5gUs?t=50s
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

David Lynch

Without being David Lynch himself
Scott Walker

/thread

Michael Gira

i am the only person ive ever known that didn't like twin peaks. i don't get the hype

I'm a fan of his works but I absolutely hate the hype for the show. It's a soap opera that aired during prime time, that's basically it. Just watch FWWM.

Olivier Manchion

David Byrne

Came here to post this.

>Without being David Lynch himself
Martin Gore

Oneohtrix Point Never

Axl Rose

Objectively it's Trent Reznor

/thread

He looks like Stephan Bonnar.

Frank Zappa.

Poor man's Jamie Stewart (which is the right answer to OP's question)

delet this

"Alright Trenty my boy. Are you ready to trigger some seizures in your fans?"

>great score, sound, and visuals
>jungian themes of dream analysis and synchronicity
>signature lynchian examination of small-town america's seedy underbelly
>just a "soap opera that aired during prime time"

i don't think so

It used to be Brian Eno.
Maybe he still is.

>don't trust anyone, not even Lynch

Even without the twin peaks album i think Xiu Xiu/Jamie makes sense.

post yfw may 21st finally comes

i'm so excited i bought this, despite hearing some pretty mixed things about it.

The XX

anyone else buying the fire walk with me vinyl tomorrow?

Do you happen to know what TV shows were like up until the early 90's? They were quite simplistic and they were mainly procedurals about police officers, lawyers, etc. The story always wrapped up in a single episode. And then came David Lynch. Story over ached and didn't unfold almost until the end of the series. What's not to get? The man almost singlehandedly revolutionized TV shows.
youtu.be/95rPpCa3Lpg

What if it sucks?

Jeffries is dead
Log Lady is dead
Albert is dead
Major Briggs is dead

Bob has been keeping busy

I don't like your attitude. We live in such cynical times that it's considered quaint to have even he slightest bit of hope. Rise above the pessimism. It's okay to put your trust in something once in awahile

if this were anybody else i'd be apprehensive, but lynch has made a career of quality and consistency. the only time he falls flat (see: dune) is when executives interfere. i wouldn't say everything he's done is brilliant, but at the very least he's never boring.

it probably will
there's an ensemble cast of like 300 characters that have speaking roles
there is no way this shit will be good

Dune is a mess but it's a beautiful mess

Angelo Badalamenti

exactly, even his failures are fun to watch.

what did she mean by this?

I highly doubt it.

Is it good?

Mark Frost is a writer primarily so even if Lynch wasn't involved in the book it's a good read. Also the inconsistencies seem to be intentional, pretty spooky stuff

it hasn't shipped to me yet but i hope to read it soon.

you've read it?

the only correct answer

Lynch didn't start of making accessible stuff though

>coop didn't fuck this because his actor was being cucked by donna's actress who wouldn't let him
>because of that we had to get the garbage that was annie and billy zane on a plane
the last episode would have had so much more impact if it was audrey instead of annie

>annie and billy zane on a plane
jesus fuck those last few episodes were patience-testing

How? They're nothing alike.

yeah, i just finished it up. my one tip is to not take everything written at face value

>Cooper, a fuckin FBI agent, having sex with an underage jailbait Audrey

c'mon, even Lynch recognizes that this was pretty fucked up

will keep in mind

kek make Shelly and Cole a thing again pls. :3

yfw How to Destroy Angels will be preforming "Falling" in the revival.

Debussy

>It's a soap opera
It's a actually a really interesting deconstruction of the bland soap opera wave of tv shows and over the top americana culture that's part of it, a play on "whodunnit" and detective stories, critique on classic tv tropes, and it's all blended together in a confusing, insane lynchian mess complete with dream logic and everything.
It's fine to not like it, but it's undeniably one of the best tv shows ever made in terms of actual quality and artistic vision. Well maybe not the S2 finale since it was deliberately made as a cliffhanger in hopes of not having it cancelled, but other than that it's a legit masterpiece.
The only thing I've seen that's remotely close to that impressive was Horace and Pete.

Akira Yamaoka

This. Swans started off as aggressive industrial and moved into cerebral drone rock, David Lynch started off doing experimental art school films and moved into 2deep4u longer mystery movies

>started off doing experimental art school films and moved into 2deep4u longer mystery movies

>what is Inland Empire
youtu.be/L3zi9OI5gUs?t=50s

either the obvious:
or:

it was gonna happen until kyle the cuck stopped it because lara flynn boyle would have given him blue balls if he didn't

i wish lara flynn boyle would give me blue balls desu

twin peaks era lara flynn boyle for sure
modern era lara flynn boyle? would rather bob rape me

obviously

it's almost comical how poorly she aged, meanwhile shelly looks like this

This would be good.

You obviously never saw a soap opera.

Go back to circlejerking NGE.

aka
>"I don't know what user is talking about but I want to have a strong opinion about something"

should i?

audrey was 18.
in fact, all the main high school-aged characters were meant to be college-aged, until the network made lynch lower their ages for some reason. t-b-h, a lot of storylines would've made more sense if they were a bit older as planned.

Scott Walker for sure!

Scott Walker probably.

Also I forgot Sup Forums had such a big Twin Peaks fanbase.

>Major Briggs is dead
I cry a tear of sadness every day because of that

PNW
literally every girl is a 10
x-files' cousin
goat

seriously kysmm

>directs tv show
>put yourself in show
>write yourself in kissing top girl

fucking hell david

>maybe not the S2 finale
Really? That's widely considered one of the best episodes

I do know what you're talking about about but I think it still isn't much of a great show. Like I said, I do like most of his works but Twin Peaks was a meandering mess towards the end of the second half (and even stretching for time in the first). Congrats on having a checklist of typical Lynch tropes.

You're welcome to think whatever you want about Twin Peaks, but to claim it's merely a soap opera is simply incorrect, as that post demonstrated.

When did I say Inland Empire wasn't surreal/whatever you think it is? My post is implying that his early stuff was, like early Swans, more underground than their later stuff

Nah, it was dumb as hell. Lynch knew beforehand that they were going to cancel it so he deliberately made the finale as cliffhangery as possible in a desperate attempt to maybe persuade the producers into making a third season because the fans would want one, but obviously it didn't work. Lynch would never do something that shitty if it wasn't to save the show itself. He said multiple times that he was disgusted with himself that he made Dune, and how he was forced to do certain things by the producers

>mess
You mean like most of Lynch's films? You sure sound like you don't know what you're talking about there, user. But I do agree that it's not as good in the last third or so. Still, give me another show with as much artistic merit as Twin Peaks, because you won't find much out there.

>typical Lynch tropes
wow haha I love Sup Forums memes

Anyone wanna help me make a Twin Peaks-core chart? Some user was going to a few days ago but he never delivered.

So far..

>his early stuff
You said his early stuff was more experimental, and that's wrong.
Literally the only highly experimental thing he made early on was his debut, Eraserhead. Other than that there's Blue Velvet which is basically Twin Peaks 0.5, and then later on Wild at Heart which was just weird, not genius or anything.
He literally got more and more experimental as time went on, with Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive and culminating with Inland Empire which is by his masterpiece. Not to mention his fucking shorts. Maybe actually watch his shit first before trying to talk about it.

>You sure sound like you don't know what you're talking about there.
Lynch writes and films twice as much material as needed, somewhere in the process the final product is cut in half which adds even more the surreality of his works and he gets hailed as an artist of celluloid. It didn't work with Dune, considering the source material, but the rest seems to play out that story. But it would be nice to see the "muh 4hour final cut" of Blue Velvet though.

>wow haha I love Sup Forums memes
Funny because Sup Forums waifuwanks the show like Sup Forums did/does NGE. "Tropes" have existed in use outside of there and supposedly there are things that he does that arbitrarily classify him as an "auteur". I have some feeling that he knows his core audience.

He knew exactly what he was doing. But it wasn't gratuitous. All lip, no tounge. Lynch did it right.

He probably directed a video for a new HTDA song for the new season.

You need the two albums Lynch released.
It's kind of a given.

Oh and before I forget. I know Eraserhead only had a few scenes cuts and I'm not entirely sure about the development of Elephant Man either. Let's not forget Barry Gifford's role in Wild at Heart and Lost Highway!

I haven't listened to those yet. Do they feel TP-esy?
And sure, I'll add them.

that field recording album of the owls. i forget its name.

Look up how Inland Empire was made.

>tropes
He actively mocks tropes in almost all of his films. I honestly can't understand how anyone can't see something so obvious, but then again you said TP was just another soap opera, so I dunno, heh.

What? How is screenwriting relevant, especially when you're talking about someone like Lynch?

Add the "Diane - Twin Peaks Tapes of Agent Cooper" cassette

Depending on who you ask, they're darker than Xiu Xiu Plays... but it's got a twisted playfulness that fits.

/thread

It's trickier than I thought to come-up with albums that feel like the show.

Isn't there a 3rd soundtrack album? Should have Laura's face over the cover

I liked it at first but it dragged on way too fucking long and I never finished it

pic related, especially the track 'surrender'

Added.

I agree with your post:
So, what's the problem exactly?
>It's actually a really interesting deconstruction of the bland soap opera wave of TV shows
>It's a soap opera
It's a soap opera, but it strives to deconstruct, distance itself from the genre as much as possible and push the genre forward. Let's not get carried away with semantics.

I haven't listened to that in years. Thanks for reminding me of it. Also, rest in peace Alan.