Sup Forumspro

What is a good software to start making electronic music? I'm running kinda low on money so that's a thing. Any advice is appreciated, thanks.
>inb4 kill self poorfag
>inb4 learn how 2 play
will answer any question that might arise

Other urls found in this thread:

bedroomproducersblog.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=WTrdDh6iTVg
youtube.com/watch?v=w6kTGhJIMgw&list=PLhtvpt4Gp-d3rqE_ULkZ7FTcE8BPVE-PP
youtube.com/watch?v=8dSk5gygNGY
m.youtube.com/watch?v=6P0HH8x2PjE
clyp.it/v0broqsq
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

bitwig

I'd say Ableton, which you can get through less than legal means pretty easily. You can also download some plugins and samples to use with it to get you started.

Just torrent Ableton, there's plenty of tutorials online to teach you how to use it. You can also torrent all the VSTs you'll need.

You don't need to buy anything, just download / pirate a DAW.
I recommend Ableton Live Suite or Bitwig Studio. If you don't want to pirate, Renoise is a good alternative, the demo is nice and it's pretty cheap.
You can do a lot of with the plugins included by default in the former two, I personally mostly use that and the free TAL VSTs with Bitwig since the choice is limited on Linux. Check bedroomproducersblog.com/ for good free plugins.

The thing is that you need to learn how synthesizers and effects work.
Read stuff explaining subtractive synthesis, it's the most basic and used one, even though FM and granular synthesis are also useful.
Download sample packs also if you don't feel like synthesizing everything, like I do.
I mean, for example the TR-808 and 909 sounds are kinda cliché, but they are staples of electronic music.

Learn how effects works too, by reading and experimenting, like chorus, compressors, reverb, etc. It's better to put your reverbs and delays on a send track btw, but don't think about that too much right now, just make music and learn by practicing.
Read stuff on soundonsound.com once you are more experienced, and maybe fuck around with PureData too.

try reaper. the older versions are free and good

bitwig is good too, just use the demo version, it dont expires and lets you save presets

kill self poorfag, learn how 2 play

/s Ableton. Great for beginners and oddly equally great for experienced users.

why didn't you recommend FL Studyo

These. Don't pay any money for any DAW or plugin unless you're well off. Don't waste your money.

Also, I agree with

>the TR-808 and 909 sounds are kinda cliché, but they are staples of electronic music.

It's best to absorb all you can, especially things that may seem antiquated.

Get Renoise, the modern redesign of the tracker software programs that shaped electronic music in the nineties. Renoise is both more accessible and less geared towards plebery than a DAW program.

Before you download a DAW, remember:
>its designed for making brostep
>renoise can use VST plug-ins too, which is where all the action in pro sound design takes place anyway
>trackers were designed as software versions of the hardware setups you just said you wish you could afford
>it takes like two minutes to torrent a tracker

Think about who you want to imitate. If it's Skrillex, not that there's something wrong with Skrillex, get Ableton. If it's Aphex Twin, get Renoise.

I don't know, I really don't like its UI, and most of the included plugins by default are still the same from the time when FL Studio was called Fruityloops, even though Sytrus and the bus compressor thing are cool, and I've heard you can do neat things with the piano roll.

It's also a Windows-only thing, mostly, since it's programmed in Delphi (the OSX version is based on Wine)

Ultimately, it doesn't matter, OP needs to learn music production, and they can do it on any decent DAW. Ableton Live or Bitwig are just better IMO.

I can never get Ableton cracked properly, it always asks to re-authorize

I'm pretty sure Aphex Twin can make better music than anyone posting in this thread with Renoise, Ableton Live, Fruityloops 3, ImpulseTracker, Jeskola Buzz, Notator on Atari ST, or, God forbid, a shitty hardware MIDI sequencer from the 80s (and BTW, I think AFX is overrated, but that's another story)
It's a shitty argument.

Renoise is underrated though, plus it's true that it is the main DAW of Venetian Snares, and Autechre said they like it too.
But the main reason I think it's worth checking out is because its unusual interface makes you compose stuff in different ways. I tend to do wilder stuff with it than with any other DAW without thinking about it. Its integrated sampler is also dope, and the Lua scripting engine seems pretty powerful. Anyway, I like to use it from times to times.

Nevertheless, I must admit that since I've tasted the modular approach of Bitwig to modulation, I don't really want to use anything else. I love LFOs, and since I can use them on almost anything I want, I'm now a satisfied man.
It just lacks a counterpart to Max for Live, but it should be available for the v2. I wish they would use PureData for that though and embrace free software but whatever.

What's better about them.

Their UIs, notably the session view and mixer. The FL Studio UI is counterintuitive to me.
Their included effects and synths.
Their granular time-stretching/pitch-shifting algorithms for audio tracks. They sound natural if you want to use a 100 BPM drum loop in a 130 BPM track, but you can also use them pretty creatively.
Max for Live for Ableton, the modulation devices for Bitwig.
Bitwig also has a native Linux version. I use Linux Mint as my main OS, so it's an important thing for me.

But that's just my opinion.
If you are satisfied with FL Studio, well, use it. As long as you are happy the results, it's all that matter. And FL Studio is a very capable DAW, so it's an alright choice. It just boils down to preferences.

question: how well does ableton work for someone who writes scores? how good is the editor in music notation mode?

I'm using REAPER right now but its really clunky and basic, the program was obviously intended for piano roll

try logic

thisDAWs like Ableton and FL are generally more oriented toward making electronic and beat based music, while Logic and Pro Tools are seen as the go to DAWs for more live, performance based music. Though there's technically no reason why you couldn't do scores using Ableton.

thanks

I do make electronic music though, I just prefer score sheet because its what I'm used to, plus I can print out the score and then play it on my hardware synthesizer

you can write scores for electronic music using logic
youtube.com/watch?v=WTrdDh6iTVg

youtube.com/watch?v=w6kTGhJIMgw&list=PLhtvpt4Gp-d3rqE_ULkZ7FTcE8BPVE-PP

I know, I'm just wondering if its an actual good-quality built-in notation editor, or if its just a shitty afterthought which is hard to work with (see REAPER's notation editor)

>and I've heard you can do neat things with the piano roll

Hue. You haven't even used it

>Renoise is underrated though, plus it's true that it is the main DAW of Venetian Snares, and Autechre said they like it too.

Literally whom?

watch a few videos and read about it

Venetian Snare made some pretty good shit desu

youtube.com/watch?v=8dSk5gygNGY

skip to ~1:10 if impatient. i think making drums like this would be uncomfortable with FL studiolol

Opie here, thanks for the tips.
If anyone i wondering, I care To make something akin To this
m.youtube.com/watch?v=6P0HH8x2PjE
Pretty much ambient or something to chill out, so if something comes to your mind, just let me know

Dude, I made this with it a few months ago at a friend's house : clyp.it/v0broqsq
I didn't explore all the features of the piano roll though, just wanted to make a complete track during that afternoon.
The thing is that I often struggled with the interface while doing it, and it was pretty frustrating, that's why I didn't recommended it. No need to get defensive, at least I don't call it a "kiddie DAW" like some anons would.

Ableton intro is only 99. You can pirate all the plugins