Isnt listening to old music in itself kind of an epitome of degeneracy?

Isnt listening to old music in itself kind of an epitome of degeneracy?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=3FpUduKXuro
m.youtube.com/watch?v=_Y2S5Tj5x0U
m.youtube.com/watch?v=SsKyxkfj8ak
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

no

no

Maybe?

Nah

it is kind of weird this board worships mid 80s to early 90s but anything older is le dadrock. just shows the naivete of youth

>yes
>no
>maybe

There are daily Beatles, Beach Boys, Dylan, Bowie and VU threads.

that's because the mid 80's to early 90's are the best time for pop music

all Sup Forumscore btw, any zeppelin/who/clash/stones thread is DAE PLAJERIZM or FUK OFF LE RONG GENERASHUN

because zeppelin and who are bands that are mainly listened to by 'lewronggeneration' kids. the other 'Sup Forumscore' isn't

Clash is also generally well liked on Sup Forums. Stop being angry at strawmen

I see Zeppelin and Stones threads too. I don't see Who and Clash thread though, admittedly.

The Cure is the greatest band ever

god the irony. one guy says i'm angry at strawmen, the other guy literally makes a strawman

what even is degeneracy, what does it mean?

No. Did you just try to come up with the most moronic statement you could think of?

Is it degenerate to listen to Bach?

I like crust punk a lot. There are some great modern bands like His Hero is Gone. But if I'm looking for inspiration, I find it's most valuable to go back to, say, Amebix, who put the sound together, because by doing that I can break up the form into its different parts - I can see the metal influence of Black Sabbath and Motörhead, the goth/post-punk influences of Killing Joke and Bauhaus, the anarcho influence of Crass, and the Lovecraftian horror element.

Another thing, a style of music I find most inspiring and connect with strongly is the hard bop movement that went on from the late 50s to the early 70s - people like Art Blakey, Charles Mingus, Wayne Shorter, and Lee Morgan. Why should I deprive myself of those amazing recordings just because those musicians aren't around anymore? They made their recordings for a reason, to be heard, and it's some of the best stuff ever recorded.

Imagination doesn't come from nowhere. It comes from combining things. I'm from Boulder, CO, and the big forms of music in Boulder are retro-style hard rock, jam bands, "conscious" high hop, and trance. These are not genres that speak to me. Why should I force myself to listen to my surroundings if I don't connect with them, especially when I have easy access to so much stuff I DO connect with?

PS The Cure is awful

>two people having different opinions is ironic
hmm....

Crust Punk is for people with crusty foreskin you fucking loser

witty comeback kiddo

I don't think that's quite true.
>PS The Cure is awful
This really isn't true.

>Is it degenerate to listen to Bach?
It should be. Harpsichord is a blight.

the subject is the board, both people are part of the board

>beach boys
>not leronggenerashun

lmao. you're right, it's forward thinking, innovative baroque pop. in the same way that led zeppelin never did anything innovative of genre bending, right?

But it's a Joy Division song and why is that guy from The Cure there?

I mean, hard rock and metal were already developing without them, so, yeah.

except the white album was more influenced by bob dylan and psychedelic rock was happening before pet sounds anyway, soo

Revolver* sorry

Paul McCartney loved Pet Sounds. The bands that were doing psychedelia before than were Southwest garage rock bands like The 13th Floor Elevators, and I find it hard to believe The Beatles knew anything about them, at least back then

Show me a psychedelic rock song like Tomorrow Never Knows before, well, Tomorrow Never Knows. Who the fuck gives The White Album credit for being innovative?

Howbout this, gimme an example of a Zeppelin song you consider out there for its time.

> tfw we're all in a troll thread

nobody's actually this stupid

the beatles were aware of the byrds who arguably was the first band to use effects for mind-altering purposes. by the time pet sounds came out the only thing new about it was composition and expansiveness of pop

kill yourself you fucking idiot

all of LZ1 is innovative for its ability to turn blues standards into monstrous hard rock, the likes of which has never been seen until sabbath turned that into metal.

Hendrix was already doing that. Most 60s rock artists put out some form of directly blues influenced music. Not innovative.

hendrix was making pure psychedelic rock in the vein of jefferson airplane and janis joplin. if you think any electric guitar used for playing blues is something that was covered before led zeppelin, then i can't help you.

hey joe sounds fucking nothing like communication breakdown you tard

Because Hey Joe is the only kind of music Hendrix played, right? It's not like he recorded enough blues covers alone for the owners of his music to release a posthumous compilation of said covers. No sirree.

Oh wait, pic related exists.

not as innovative as tomorrow never knows (anyway, not plenty of bands are/were as innovative and at the same making such memorable mainstream music as the beatles). But those songs where kinda outhere.

- Kashmir
- Achilles last stand
- No Quarter
- When the leevee breaks
- Moby Dick
- Rain Song

Also zep had also a big influence in recording/production techniques as heavily overdubbed guitars and big ass drum sounds (when the levee breaks and shit). Of course those are pretty vanilla right now but that kind of heavy shit wasn´t that common before.

John Bonham drum sound, Page guitars riffs, solos and shiet and Robert plant high pitched singing where so fucking influential in general hard rock that you may think they sound generic as fuck because of that.

Not saying Zeppelin invented or started the things i am mentioning here, but they did took them to another level and made them popular. In other words, they were INFLUENTIAL.

i cant help being a degenerate

oh wow a black man played blues covers? i wasn't aware of that. still never sounded like LZ1

> tfw everyone thinks Hey Joe is an old blues song
> tfw it's actually a cover of a 50s rock song
> tfw the garage rock band The Leaves made it a big radio hit before Hendrix covered it, and made it more bluesy

holy shit

>tfw some plebs here (where i live) think Whiskey in a Jar is a Metallica songs.
>tfw some other less pleby folks think it is a cover of a thin lizzy song
>tfw is an old irish song

>the only thing new about it was composition and expansiveness of pop
seems enough to call Pet Sounds innovative and influential

never said it wasn't

this is probably a good concept for a thread

Because The Smith said it

>Achilles
>out there for its time
Nah

So, speaking of influential sounds, what does Sup Forums think of Depeche Mode?

I've heard like 3 songs of them they're pretty good tho

GOAT

a little new-agey for my taste, but good

I'm really surprised Sup Forums doesn't discuss them a lot more.

One of their best live tracks:
m.youtube.com/watch?v=3FpUduKXuro
And something more recent:
m.youtube.com/watch?v=_Y2S5Tj5x0U

And one I've been digging recently:
m.youtube.com/watch?v=SsKyxkfj8ak
Favorite album/track(s)?