youtu.be/UWf2oFoF-B4
youtu.be/B9-mNHDmj3s
youtu.be/nva9XwhaBMs
youtube.com/watch?v=j_FwBXtfRf4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I feel so bad for phil man

who cares?

a lot of people here

this is meh so far. probably gonna be overrated for awhile cause of his wifes death

Boy I wonder what does that remind me of

I don't believe he made this album to be "good"

maybe but I expect this board and other journalists to give it positive ratings. regardless of the quality
but anyway the other songs could turn out to be really great for all i know.

>that description

>and collapsed there on the front steps annd waailed

fuck

Pic related
This

This is amazing, completely different from everything he's ever done but a complete step in the right direction, I definitely would compare it to Aerosol Can Panera Bread James Joyce-Era Mark Kozelek in that it borrows the best things about his style but imbues it with the Philliness that is always welcome.
Bravo Phil

>You were thinking ahead to a future you must have known deep down would not include you though you clawed at the cliff you were sliding down, being swallowed into a silence that is bottomless and real
>It's dumb
>And I don't want to learn anything from this
>I love you

I like it I guess but it does seem bit shallow. He definitely made this album solely for him self. We'll see if it grows up in something I could listen to more.

I just feel so bad for him. Even if the first single was just ok, i still went to pre-order the album

I dig

An artist should always make something for themselves. Phil is not the sort to do something for approval.

I agree, this album will be one that Phil made completely, 100% for himself and probably is only releasing out of habit and so he can feed his daughter, it's not something that will be easily accessible for anyone except the man himself

oh god

this is amazing

>Emptiness pt. 2
I don't think I'm ready for this

Its definitely different, but the singles is really nice and lyrics are heartbreaking

These lyrics hurt.

Its just al heartbreaking.i already want to listen to the full thing.

Ill probably cry

I don't get it
I feel the same way about this that I did when I tried to listen to The Glow pt. 2
he just sounds like some guy who took a couple of weeks of guitar lessons and said "I'm a songwriter now"

what's wrong with that

listen to Mount Eerie

Well the draw to Mount eerie/the Microphones is not for technical wankery

I really like the lyrics and the production of the music.

This album will probably feel very simple in musical terms and even lyrically, thats probably because he doesnt feel like making something incredibly complex

Normally, I don't care about lyrics but you can't ignore them here. And surprisingly, the song is good.

Also listen to this an youll see hes definitely more talented than just a few guitar lessons

youtu.be/PdgQFTyjv5s
youtu.be/V3hP2GaCHfU
youtu.be/HlpE1YRuaIk
youtu.be/s8IExZoklac
youtu.be/UWf2oFoF-B4
youtu.be/B9-mNHDmj3s
youtu.be/nva9XwhaBMs

sad song for sure but it wasn't very impressive musically.

poor phil though, that last line got to me

youtube.com/watch?v=j_FwBXtfRf4
no guy with "a couple of weeks of guitar lessons" can make music that is this kino

Yeah I'm crying now fuck

Why is he exploiting his wife's death like this?

>this meme again

Get the fuck out of here with that dumbass bullshit

Enjoy your (you)s

lol this melodramatic bullshit

he definitely exploiting her death

Someday true loss will hit you hard and fast, and no amount of irony or shitposting will save you from the overwhelming grief

>I have never had anyone truly close to me die
Till then, shut the fuck up, bitch.

boringest phils ever been

I know it's a meme and all but jesus dude

meh

i see hes trying to cater to the tumblr audience now

music is clearly an outlet for him. i'm sure neither of you have every lost anyone that close

but user

cant wait to give this a 0.5 on RYM

>using rym

your wife dies and you give her this?

a sujfan ripoff?

story on this?

And I can't wait to see you grow as a person and learn from your mistakes.

Geneviève is in purgatory waiting for the p4k review for Phil's new album.

If it get a BNM, she goes to heaven, but if it gets no BNM, she goes straight to hell and burns forever.

this is gonna be a sad fucking album.
i actually didn't know before now but am a huge fan of phil's work. this is heartbreaking.

The part about the backpack is one of the most brutal things I've ever heard in a song.

it would be melodrama if he'd never loved and lost. as his wife very recently died, it negates the 'melo-' prefix. it's a dramatic event in life to lose your partner.

I always laugh when I see this picture but I feel bad after

(You)

i would guess it's phil fucking about with a friend before anybody showed up, this is exactly his sort of humour

death is an illusion
like a frigid grasping wave ripping away the pacific coastline
you shone brightly and now your effervescent life force has been drowned by the blackest sea of cancer
but life is art and art can never die!
your spirit will live on forever on this earth, immortal!
as i pick up my guitar
to compose this song
and reach deep into memories
of your glory, i find my purpose:
life defeats death! (even as your body consumes itself in the blinding pain and your hair falls softly as snow blanketing the deathbed's pillow)
life defeats death! (even as our daughter held your lifeless hand on that fateful day the squall squealed its final torment in your death rattle)
but words are immortal!
though the mystery of death threatens to consume me, the artist, too, i carry on:
my tear-soaked eyes staring in defiance
pushed forward by your radiant spirit
that remains in the eyes of our child
who will one day grow to know you, too
because of this song
which is your spirit!
though your body was vanquished by that treacherous sea you, valiantly, knew that it
was your destiny.
may the wisdom of my wife and mother of my child be immortalized in song!
i love being an artist.

Good lyrics and instrumentals but sadly his singing is really off kilter, and not in a way that adds to the song in any way

that percussion loop is pretty annoying, I like everything else though

oh man it's out on my birthday

thanks mr. eerie for the present beforehand

are people just not supposed to use art as a creative outlet for pain anymore, something people have done since the beginning of art itself, because dipshits online will call it edgy and melodramatic?

happy birthday, user

the album is out on his birthday, not this song u goddamn nerd

I was at the show where he played all the songs from this album, in a small record store of my hometown where he also lived. This first single made me cry when he played it there and still makes me cry now

all the other songs on it are just as heartbreaking as this single.

its a farmers market at a small town that cant have more than 2000 people living in it

its close to where he's from, anacortes

This is probably going to be the version of Carrie & Lowell that actually does live up to the critical acclaim that it'll inevitably receive.

Good
Carrie and Lowell was literal garbage

>tfw this will be Mark Kozelek - Hospice 2: Electric Boogaloo

gonna be good.
My most anticipated album of 2017

Not only that, but as a musician, music is his business.

He wants to express himself musically, and while he's at it he may as well make some money to feed his now motherless daughter.

Carrie & Lowell is great is fucking plebe

>likes Sufjans worst album
>calls others pleb

whats this?

>Phil does Mark Kozelek does Hospice
I came

Just listened to Crow and Death Is Real. Heavy stuff.

I did an interview with Phil last week that'll air on the 30th on KSSU.com at 3pm Pacific Time. It was the first interview that Phil had done since 2014. It's a long one, over 50 minutes. We talked about a lot. I'll post it somewhere online for people to listen to after it airs.

the collapsing on the frontsteps wailing non-melodramatic version