Abandoned Olympics

Let's take a look at some photos of venues from Olympic pasts

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beijing_National_Stadium#Features_and_events
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>they just left all that fencing there

It's not as if "Oh, it started to fade over the years then got forgotten about". They just left it after the Olympics finished. Some guy just told his workers to dump it where they found it, then they left. Being of the Greek public sector, they probably got paid more in a year than most people make in five.

That isn't abandoned, that's just a strong visual reminder into the difference in mindset between advanced people and subhumans. I've seen factories in the UK, abandoned since the 1950s, in better condition than these places.

Fuck them. Fuck their horrible little country and the disgusting fat manlets that inhabit it. That's something that would disgust me if I saw it in Africa, never mind in Europe.

The famed bird's nest for the Opening Ceremonies at 2008 Beijing Summer Olympics

This is painful to see.

Hasn't this stadium basically stood empty for the past 8 years? I don't understand why you'd build all these venues just to not use them after the Olympics is over.

About 3/4ths of our venues will follow the same path.

underrated

I actually sneaked into a couple of athens olympic structures mith my gf a few years ago then got caught by some security guards whom we paid 50euros to let us in

pretty spooky desu

Sarajevo, winter olympic venues today

no
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beijing_National_Stadium#Features_and_events

This stadium wasn't even build for the olympics buddy. It's used every week.

In the case of chine they built a bunch of grandiose stuff that everyone knew was gonna be abandoned the minute the olympics ended

2014 Sochi Winter Olympics

Olympic village in Sarajevo

You know where you see on those safaris how monkeys will climb all over a car and just rip it to pieces whilst hooting and hollering and throwing shit?

I imagine that's what'll happen to the stadia in Brazil 2bh.

Kek, this stadium is 10 years old and used every week.

>So many dreams were made here
>Now it's dilapidated and abandoned

Brehs ;_;

>getting caught by the guards you paid off
only a belgian could do this

I really liked the cozy feeling of this event. Is it really abandoned? I remember back then people talking about how they built many hotel rooms but the city didn't really received THAT many visitors and it could become a problem later.

>Jackie Chan was the first artist to hold a pop concert at the stadium on 2 April 2009

>yfw there are more people when Botafogo plays

No, we bribed them and they let us through if that makes sense.

They could've used that fencing to have stopped all the skanky syrians from getting in

1936 Olympic Village.

upside: bidding Olympic cities post-2004 now score big points for sustainability and their post-Olympic legacy plans

the cynic in me says this is because there's no longer any third-world strongmen seeking legitimacy by giving vast sums of blood & oil money to the IOC so they can plonk down massive lame-duck sports arenas in the middle of fucking nowhere, but hey ho

Why aren't they using things like this to train new medalists?

We kept ours open and got some medals this time

1972 Munich Games Train Stations since decommissioned decades ago

>7-1

Why wouldn't you just turn the Olympic village into public housing? It makes no fucking sense to just abandon it.

they have done in munich and it is a really great place to live

1952 Helsinki Games Pool

What you mean by public housing?

Because that means they'd have to be built to last, instead of basking in being an Olympic City for a few weeks before turning out the lights on someone else's problem

places where the poor can live. Like a commune

Kinda troubling to see these - pretty much all of the venues specifically built for Sydney 2000 are still around today and still used. Even the Olympic village was converted into a new suburb and all the apartments and housing sold off to the public

>tfw a friend lives in one of those apartments and we always try and imagine the insane shit that must've gone down there during the olympics

>

Affordable places to live

how they have done it in munich, pretty cozzy and great student parties there

Don't mind the Ameridoops, they're a little slow.

London bros, how many venues were purpose built for the olympics? How many are still regularly used? I know the Olympic Stadium is being used by West Ham now

London 2012

Like council housing or state housing? Just turn them into a bunch of 2 bed flats and rent them out to poorer people who can't afford to rent privately.

You do have this in Brazil, yes?

London '12

What about the building the Israeli team was in?

Yeah I figured

refugees live in there, now

Because they were built by a private money without public funding.

>public housing
Housing owned by local government, who rent them out to people based on need, cheaper than a private landlord would.

Thats not London

Ah okay. Ours is the opposite. Those Village apartments can be very expensive for our standards. Buying houses in Rio is very expensive overall. And that condo will be no different.

Yes, i was just not sure of what it meant in english. We call it popular housing.

Euroslurpers can't figure out a joke. I'd take a pass from a non native speaker but this retard I can't excuse.

Looks like some eastern bloc shithole. Are you SURE this is in London, user?

Abandoned after the 2002 Commonwealth games.

>being this obsessed

another one of London 2012

The only Olympics that have an excuse is Sarajevo. After the fall of Soviet Union and rising dissent within Yugoslavia. War finally broke out in the region. To this day parts of region have still yet to recovery fully

Pic related: The Siege in Sarajevo
Fact: The Longest Siege of a Capital City in Modern Times. Lasting for 46 months before NATO Intervention ended it

We have subsidies for housing, yes. It's called "minha casa, minha vida" (my house, my life). But only if you want to buy, not to rent.

Its Chernoybl

I'm this guy The area used as the Olympic Village is still around today and comfy as fuck desu

It's renovated now.

Even more amazing about those Athens 2004 photos is that they are already quite old by now, I think I first saw them in 2009. So these forgotten ruins are even worse now surely.

It's Pripyat, son

Tbqh, those apartments are garbage because of the location.

This shit would make an epic skate park

this literally happened in Stratford, its just they're selling each flat for £300k minimum

joke desu

DUUUUDE

That must be a pre-Olympics photo surely, I went to the Bird's Nest in late 2008 and the place looked nothing like that.

Not really, i live near them. It's an area of the city where many new apartments are being built because honestly, there's no where else for Rio to expand.

boooooooo

That looks comfy as shit and fucking beautiful too boot. I mean WOW!

Further proof why the Olympics needs to reside only in Western Europe, Canada, Australia and The United States.

Looks comfy as fuck desu. 10/10 would swim there.

that's what they did in my city

now its full of arabs & blacks

good thread

Going by the 2012 Olympic I'm betting all the Olympic venues are being used for one thing or another. I mean its The United Kingdom.

Right....UK?

the athletics world championshsips were held in the bird's nest last year

>there will never be another open-air swimming venue for the Olympics

Fucking domebabbies, man.

Will you ever use the velodrome again?

they are all mosques now

It's a shame they let all these places rot away.
We still use our Olympic venues from the 1928 summer Olympics, pic related is the athletics stadium which was renovated in the late 90's, the 2016 European Athletics Championships
were held there, the rowing lake has also been renovated and is still in use as well.

Correct.