/prod/ Music Production General

Music makers and wannabes come here

also question: is there a way to switch effects in Ableton using Midi signals?
I have a synth/keyboard and a pad and i'd like to change chords using the pad while I play the keyboard

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hUm4B4u4ocw
clyp.it/2hj5wf4g
clyp.it/yomnpcrq
youtube.com/watch?v=QqEvzI_3RDc
soundcloud.com/djjd/dog-dont-like-rice
clyp.it/gehrg4yn
clyp.it/mh2omasr
youtube.com/watch?v=JSE_-IQocN4
soundcloud.com/eu4ix/forced-to-freeze
samples.kb6.de/downloads.php
mediafire.com/file/495fm04ggaiu3h3/KB6.rar
clyp.it/3zzlydeq
youtube.com/watch?v=nNY3ysi9HGY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I've proper gone off ableton in the last few months, maybe it's because I'm using windows again for the first time in a decade

also yeah you can map loads of effects stuff to MIDI, just have a look. What do you mean by

> i'd like to change chords using the pad while I play the keyboard

You want to control two separate instruments at the same time?

Anybody have the Push 2? Is it worth it compared to other pads?

>uses Ableton

I have a microkorg and vestax pad

let's say i have a midi channel with the major chord effect activated plus other inactive chord effects, everytime i press a key in the korg it plays a major chord of the key i press
what i want to do is be able to switch to another inactive chord effect by pressing a button on the pad (and deactivating the previous effect ofc)

tl;dr i'd like to tell ableton the chord i want by pressing a button on the drum pad

why is it so bad ? Sure the sounds and presets are shitty but its a great framework when combined with good plugins.

i prefer bitwig + disableton

Bitwig master race!

i didn't know this program, can i do this there?

easily, just make a macro that turns one effect on, and another off.

what voodoo is this gif

ok thanks
is this program generally easier and "cleaner" than ableton?
because from the screenshots it gives me this idea

You have to wait on 2.0 for the chord device though.

Reminder that 432 Hz is the magical frequency of the cosmos containing spiritual healing properties, and if you aren't tuning to it you aren't making real music

>disableton
what?

It is. Especially if you are used to ableton.

>wanting to heal your listeners
kys

didnt know it. just googled it and the interface looks cute af. gonna give it a try

That's not how music woooork :))))))

the voodoo of Bitwig 2.0

sup, huge pleb here that just installed FL Studio. can someone maybe recommend me a nice tutorial out there? i've tried some but they have not been very clear on the basics and just skipped through some stuff which I have no idea how to do, I just want some basic shit so I can start experimenting

Busy works beatsssss dot commmm

you can do this by making your own max devices

is 2.0 out? might be time for me to jump in.

I'm currently using Ableton but want to switch to Bitwig mainly because of its compatability with 32 /64 bit vsts. Should I switch now or wait for Bitwig 2.0?

I would create thy chosen chords - lay them all out in the daw, record/export audio - then trigger from a sampler of your choice....

I don't know about the new age stuff but I'll say this existing 440 Hz music tuned to 432 Hz sounds kinda cool. It sounds like an ever so slight "screw" or like a very very slight key modulation. In other words a good way to magically avoid copyright detection on Youtube.

have you had a look at studio 1? You get 5 installations for the price - good for if you haver a few pals looking to upgrade if you split the cost . Very impressed with it

28 feb
get it now for 300$. its gonna be 400$ when its out.

I want to produce music like this:

youtube.com/watch?v=hUm4B4u4ocw

Is this song really as simple as a single chord for ~1-4 measures? I don't understand the chord progression.

i-is bitwig on mac?

clyp.it/2hj5wf4g

suck my ambient noise dick

hey this is really cool. What did you make this piece with? DAW? hardware? anyways, really cool

Question:

How do you build up energy and keep it flowing?

Do you just jump the notes up a few octaves and play faster?

I try keep a strong energy going in my beats but i feel like they end up flat and kinda bland

how did i do with building up and keeping it?

clyp.it/yomnpcrq
clyp.it/yomnpcrq

tips / recommendations please

thank you!

>How do you build up energy and keep it flowing?
Automations

I see that there are workarounds for it youtube.com/watch?v=QqEvzI_3RDc
this program really seem amazing and it's very light and fast compared to Ableton

don't build energy - just make techno ;)

what are those

Google

fuck techno honesty

imo its barely music

there no true emotion

actually I did that 2 years ago but as far as I can remember I used: FL studio (DAW), Nexus (those filtered saw at the beginning), DSKstrings (for that glitchy/watery sound done playing with the reveerb knob), Cadencia (a vst for the melody), Zebra2 (for some background sound), the rest is forgotten but that's almost it :)

thanks for the feedback, maybe I'll post it on a bandcamp account or somewhere else

Robot music

yes, and linux

Man, I was hating this but then it got good.

well crafted techno is beautiful in my humble opinion - beauty is in the eye if the beholder as the cliche goes

anyone make breakcore or jungle in a shallow and pedantic time signature hmu soundcloud.com/djjd/dog-dont-like-rice

that's cool! do you still produce music in the same realm? how have your productions changed over the year?

rank it out of 10

clyp.it/gehrg4yn

I hate this pad

How to not suck?

you're asking the wrong group of people

8/10

are you serious dude thanks

this is just the stuff man, awesome work. I'm new to FL Studio, any tips on how to make these sounds? what should i be looking for?

I try to, I never did anything better than that tho, and the irony is that I was 16 at the time and didn't knew anything about music.
Now I still make ambient and experimental in general but tried making something more "easy" to listen like IDM, trip hop or such, done some EDM stuff too
Thanks for the interest by the way :)

>shitwig

>Gaybleton

Download some good VST's, I suggest you all the U-he vst's, specially Zebra2, Massive and Nexus for start
the reveerb is your friend
the eq is your friend
Audacity can be very useful
start recording stuff even with a shitty mic and play with them, it changes you the way of looking at sound
download a sample pack, better if you do it yourself
always listen to a lot of music

maybe

Yes, I'm serious! I like the feeling and mood it puts you in. It achieved the ability to make you imagine stuff. I hope you're still making music.

Am I the only one that has a habit of layering tiny synth sounds because they're too much of a pussy to settle on a main synth sound to focus on?

clyp.it/mh2omasr

youtube.com/watch?v=JSE_-IQocN4

>Gaybenitex

I don't fucking get sampling (in Ableton).
Can someone send me a link to an idiot proof guide to warping? The stuff on youtube just seems to be about dubsteb sampling or DJing
What I wanna do is just sample other songs and use them as frameworks for my own shit. Say I wanna sample this intro of an einstürzende neubauten song: what's the easiest way to play with pitch and bpm and still keep the sample 4 bars long? Everytime I try warping it the global bpm of the song turns to 170, which is way too quick for my drum track
I'm guessing I'm misunderstanding the whole concept of the global bpm meter?!
>pls respond
I got so many cool samples but I don't get how to build a beat around them

Why is Ableton so massively popular?

What's the appeak?

>appeak
Appeal. Jesus.

it just works

ableton never warps perfectly on its own i find you have to go through the track and add your own warp markers so it is right

no i do that but what you did is called bad mixing

I get that but what do you even do once you warped your track correctly? When I try to change the bpm it still turns to shit. I just want a 4 bar loop without having the global bpm tied to the sample

How do you create IDM (idem) sounding drum patterns?

Oh, shit. What is bad about the mixing?

How do you create an echo, like from delay, but instead of hearing the first sound loudest, it instead comes towards you (like a drop of something in the far distance)

take the sound you want to do that with and reverse them. then add reverb. then take that, and reverse it again. there you go.

don't worry it's always the most difficult and annoying part
what you failed is in the eq: there are no high freqs, everything sounds filtered or something

slice breaks and go fast

how come it isn't something like 432.3395893278402 Hz? seems rather convenient that the magical frequency of the cosmos happens to be one of our whole numbers

Oh, I know. That's my issue. I'm having a hard time deciding on a sound with higher frequencies that appeals to me..
I've been taking all of the sounds and EQing out the high frequencies, lol..

so ive been put mixing for the past 14 hours or so doing some shit in between but this is the result so far

soundcloud.com/eu4ix/forced-to-freeze

any comments guys?

i know ive overdone the volume a little but the rms is still within an acceptable amount so fuck it

some parts of the track there are random drops because of sidechaining and stuff.

using Ableton one thing i'll say about it is its annoying as fuck that you cant freeze a channel that is sidechained with a native plugin and routing with vst's is a pain in the ass.

i'd appreciate any feedback

nah but i mean like the Boards of Canada Music has the Right to Children type of shiet

Who's your favorite producer and what's the finest example of his work in your opinion?

be in the 90s

I am. I'm using my time-router to connect to today's Sup Forums.

ok good answer
go there samples.kb6.de/downloads.php
download them all
use them

How about some /drumfeels/
> When your snare was unlatched the whole time
> Your pedal needs to be oiled and the squeaking gets picked up on the mic

mediafire.com/file/495fm04ggaiu3h3/KB6.rar
here is a download link for those samples

Do you guys ever make something by accident and then go mad because you don't know what you did?
clyp.it/3zzlydeq
>clyp related

youtube.com/watch?v=nNY3ysi9HGY

>I don't understand techno: the post

im having a troubling time producing, or finding sub bass packs online to download that have the warm underwaters type bass that are common in Lil Ugly Mane or Three6Mafia tracks.

I use Logic Pro x and the subbass and synth bass sample packs are incredibly lackluster and geared towards those producing electronic type beats.

does anyone know of good places to download subbass presets?

Bitwig vs. Reaper vs. Ableton
>Help me decide by answering some questions if you use one of them
How's mixing & mastering in it?
I'm going to be recording a lot of external instruments, is it easy or hard to do?
How easy is it to sample in the DAW?
How shit are it's included instruments/vsts?

Respectfully, you're framing the question wrong, as do most people.

Think about it - the people who use these DAWs will in the most part respond with positive comments on the DAW's workflow and so all you'll get is answers that go along the lines of "yeah it's great at doing these things".

What you want to ask is whether someone decided to change the DAW they use, because they found limitations in an aspect of its workflow that another DAW didn't have.

Sometimes that'll still boil down to subjectivity, in that someone might see a limitation because they haven't fully explored features, but at least you're not just getting glowing reports from everyone about the DAW that they use and that they find works perfectly, for them.

Watching YT tutorials is probably more useful than asking here.

try the demos

What DAW do you use? And what's the worst thing about it?
Yeah that's what I'm doing now
I've tried Ableton before and I'm gonna try the others

to much reverb man. ambeint music doesnt always have to be soaked in excessive reverb

>subbass
just learn how to make them. most sub bass is just a pitched down sine wave with distortion or a heavily lowpassed super saw. easy peasy once youve got the sub bass just experiment and make cool ass shit

>What DAW do you use? And what's the worst thing about it?

That's what I mean - I chose my DAW because it does everything I want it to really easily.

I use Cubase for recording because I spent my time at Uni using it when it was MIDI-only on the Atari and I learned it inside-out, the audio functions (that eventually replaced my tape workflow) were additions that came in gradually so it wasn't all that much more to learn at once.

That said, I do love the Session View features that I found in Ableton Live that Cubase was lacking, so there's an example of something I chose to use another DAW for but I see that as an additional workflow that I didn't really expect Cubase to be good at anyway.

hey guys, im currently looking to build a PC for music production within the next month and would like some input on what to spend the most money on. my budget is $700. I figured the top two things would be the processor and ram. I would like to have a dual monitor setup maybe 3. I'm not much of a gamer so graphics isn't too much of a concern. any recommendations would be appreciated.