ITT: """"sports"""" that should be removed from the olympics

ITT: """"sports"""" that should be removed from the olympics

Other urls found in this thread:

stephanecompoint.com/11,387.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

But we need those medals Brazilbro

>Its a time trial
>there is a quantifiable penalty system
>The horse has to be trained by the rider and they work as a team.

There are worse events that can be removed.

If you're going to pick an equestrian discipline to get rid of at least pick horse dancing.

only if you can convince me a horse is an athlete

>look up the horse dancing event
>horse isn't even really dancing, just strutting kind of playfully
Seriously how the fuck is this a thing

>jumps
>runs
>trains
>gets paid (with food and shelter)
>competes
is a athlete

Bored aristocrats

how many medals do horses get again?

ping pong
badminton

Not my fault IOC is racist and treats horses like 2nd rate athletes.

ping pong, anything to do with a horse, remove the 50m and 400m swimming events.

Nothing.

They should add more events and make it one week longer

this

The Olympics has turned from a celebration of human physical performance that once transcended global politics and popular culture into a propaganda event for the dominant interpretation of global politics and popular culture.

It is no longer about athletics and who wins the athletic competition -- it is now concerned with shaping our perceptions of what it means to compete with each other, and why we probably shouldn't celebrate winning at all. It has become an embarrassing mess for the entire human race, and it's time to stop wasting resources, time, and attention span on it.

There are two distinct problems: the Games themselves, and the media coverage of the Games, which shapes the public's perception of everything about them.

The Olympic Games were originally contested in ancient Greece, and consisted of a combination of athletics and equestrian events that derived primarily from the most practical of considerations of physical prowess: warfare. Various footraces, throwing contests, and jumping events comprised the ancient Games, which were held in the familiar four-year interval for about a thousand years.

Reconstituted in 1894, they have changed quite a bit over the past century. They now include three basic types of contests: 1.) Games such as golf, hockey, soccer, and basketball, where the athletes compete within the framework of a “score” generated within the rules of the game; 2.) Artistic judged events such as gymnastics and diving, where the athletes attempt to get as close as possible to a standard for the contested movement developed by their governing organization, and are judged for conformation to the standard by the consensus opinion of a panel of expert judges; and 3.) Athletic events such as the races, the heavy field events, and weightlifting that generate an objective, quantitatively measured score, and combat sports such as wrestling and fencing that generate a win or a loss.

this

we need more swimming events

football

Of these three types of contests, the athletics events display the greatest fidelity to the original idea of the Olympic Games. As far as I'm concerned, the addition of men's and women's golf was the best indication of the developing intent of the IOC.

The arguments against the Olympics are important. The Olympics are no longer the most important event within most of the sports contested. The professional versions of the games events have their own world championships, at which the best athletes compete for Real Money, not just medals. All sports within the International Olympic Committee have their own annual World Championships, meets that happen more frequently than every four years and which form the basis for the training schedules of most athletes.

The Olympic Games are hideously expensive to host, and the taxpayers of the host nation are often left with a burdensome debt and several abandoned facilities for their trouble. In essence, Greece spent billions of dollars it didn't have to build facilities it doesn't need to host a competition for which NBC Sports could sell advertising.

There are basically two types of competitors at the Olympic Games: those who have been caught using performance enhancing drugs (PEDs) and those who have not been caught using PEDs. This is true of all human athletic competition, so somebody please tell Bob Costas that when the stakes are even marginally high competitive people will do anything it takes to win. Is this cheating? I guess this depends on your definition of cheating, and not everybody has the same definition, because the concept itself is quite subjective. If you are offended by the idea that essentially everybody entered in the Olympics every four years has taken or is taking some type of a very wide selection of substances that improve athletic performance, then you'd better find something besides high-level sports to watch. Sorry, but this is the truth of the matter, sincere denials notwithstanding.

dancing horses
golf
air pistols

Possibly in reaction to this, NBC Sports, the de facto owner of the Olympic Games, just doesn't include the “testosterone” sports in their coverage -- unless there is a severe injury that looks very bad on TV. Swimming is fine (no hairy men), all women's sports are fine (no hairy men), gymnastics, ditto (basically a children's sport), skiing is okay (hair doesn't show through lycra), and the equestrian events are just fine (horses are innocent even if hairy).

What you will not see: more than one or two weightlifters, shot-putters, hammer throwers, or discus throwers. Javelins are too pointy, as are epees and sabers, and such things are threatening. Basically, you get to see activities you would personally enjoy on a Sunday afternoon -- you know, wholesome stuff without the slightest whiff of meanness, bullying, or testosterone.

any and all gym events

dressage is a military event, racing's actually the aristocratic one

nice essay there, my Brazilian friend.

Golf
Tennis
Synchronised swimming
Rhythmic gymnastics

The ones with subjectives scores like synchro swimming.

My impression, and probably yours too, is that NBC Sports is far more concerned about the uplifting story of the athlete's mother who overcame cancer, the athlete's brother who is overcoming a learning disability, the athlete's gender-fluid husband who is overcoming workplace discrimination, or the athlete's dog who was just yesterday hit by a gas-guzzling SUV driven by a Man who was on his way to the Board of Directors meeting of a Private Company that contributes to Global Warming than about the athlete's performance in the sport it is ostensibly covering.

This week, the feel-good story of two women, one of whom is a rugby player and the other a stadium manager, who got engaged on the field after a rugby game following a two-year romance in Brazil (we seem to know a lot about this), apparently justifies the incessant, annoying, repetitive commercial breaks, which have generated NBC a reported $1.2 billion in ad sales for the 2016 Games.

The time has come to move past the Olympic Games, and to move past NBC's attempts to use them as a restructuring device for society even while they make billions of dollars in the process. As the internet develops, NBC will become obsolete, but until then, do yourself a big favor and do not allow them to ride the coattails of sports into your brain.

Do you agree with this meathead, hue? Or are you mocking him?

I think he has some good points. Although the real reason NBC ignores weightlifting and other "high testosterone" events in favour of swimming is because America just isn't very good at it. Each country's coverage just follows what they excel at.

>IOC APPROVES FIVE NEW SPORTS FOR OLYMPIC GAMES TOKYO 2020

>THE INTERNATIONAL OLYMPIC COMMITTEE (IOC) TODAY AGREED TO ADD BASEBALL/SOFTBALL, KARATE, SKATEBOARD, SPORTS CLIMBING AND SURFING TO THE SPORTS PROGRAMME FOR THE OLYMPIC GAMES TOKYO 2020.

next: fishing

Aside from skateboarding and surfing those aren't bad additions at all

My problem with him is that he just glosses our the track (sprinting) coverage, which is as "testosterone" fueled as anything else.

And even though gymnastics is "judged," it's probably the apex test of a human being's strength + flexibility + body coordination, and demands much harder overall training than lifting weights over your head.

no and no

I think shooting with pistol or riffle is a """Sport""" but not a real sport

Baseball/Softball is ok as long as they enforce the mercy rule. It also means more medal chances for latin america.

Skateboarding is fine as long as it stays vert or big air.

Surfing is a bad idea despite being interesting.

Sport climbing sounds retarded but I'll keep my final comments till 2020.

>you will never be a pampered show/race horse that is spouled his whole life and fed the beat food in return for some cheeky jumps every now and than.
>you won't be able to rtire at 5 and get paid to jerk off and fuck sexy mares
>you won't have crazy white people paying 10s of thousands of dollars for your jizz

anything with horses
soccer
golf
tennis
boxing

remove every event where you stand up

Football, tennis and golf, if only because those sports are wealthy and prestigious enough on their own.

Taekwondo
BMX
Most of the track cycling events

hey rip do you think they should add powerlifting?

fatshaming

Anything with a professional equivalent.

Olympics should be amateur events only.

because everyone on the world only watches NBC. Sure thing murrica

>BASEBALL

Nice one.

Japs will win though.

>horse dancing
do they get medals for this event?

/thread

They already have it at the "special" olympics

Any event where you sit down

Baseball will be pretty cool if both MLB and NPB both don't send players.

It's already in the retard olympics.

why was baseball removed this time around?

Powerlifting is where it belongs in the special Olympics because it requires no real athletic skill

Why not street skating as well? Snowboarding and Skiing added slopestyle to last winter olympics

Hues too lazy to build a baseball stadium (which would be used because amateur baseball teams are paying big bucks to play on footy fields and chalking that shit)

I don't get why there wouldn't be baseball in South America.

*if both MLB and NPB send players
ftfy

so laziness? and here i thought it was removed because of Olympic politics.

>soccer
>tennis
>boxing
shit b8

what? it's not bait. if there's a bigger competition for the sport elsewhere it shouldn't be in the olympics, in my opinion

i dont see anything wrong with soccer being in there.

There seems to be less grassdiving and corruption during the olympics than during the world cup

Is a horse a weapon?

yes, it runs over people.

Football.

It´s only in the olympic for recaudation issues (I know it´s hard to believe, but sometimes I think that the Olympic committee is more focused in money than sport), but we never going to have the most competitives teams.

Or make it U21.

>I don't get why there wouldn't be baseball in South America.
We don't want you fucks tearing down rain forest just to make bats.

it already is u21

>There seems to be less grassdiving and corruption during the olympics
that just shows how little they care about it desu

>what is forest engineering
>brazil is literally the second biggest eucalyptus producer in the world
>one of the biggest wood sellers in the world
Nigger negro do you even study?

skateboarding should be USA golds, maybe mexico or canada.

Some dedicated athletes volunteered to do the ancient Games.

stephanecompoint.com/11,387.html

The video is a must watch if you can find it.

the winning horses in the modern pentathlon get medals

they should add hamburger eating.

How? Each horse is used by 2 riders. And the winner of the pentathlon is not necessarly the winner of the jumping.
It sounds stupid.

>not fully naked
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

idk. I was reading about modern pentathlon on wikipedia earlier and it says
>The riding discipline involves show jumping over a 350–450 m course with 12 to 15 obstacles. Competitors are paired with horses in a draw 20 minutes before the start of the event. This unusual skill—the riding of a horse that is previously unknown to the rider—is unique in the world of sport and is one of the elements which gives Modern Pentathlon its special character. Currently, this is the only Olympic sport that awards a medal to the participating horse.

maybe the horses that get the best scores in the horse jumping event get their own medals
I hope so anyway

>My impression, and probably yours too, is that NBC Sports is far more concerned about the uplifting story of the athlete's mother who overcame cancer
Yes.
>the athlete's brother who is overcoming a learning disability
No.
>the athlete's gender-fluid husband who is overcoming workplace discrimination
Ha, good god no, NBC wants no controversy
>or the athlete's dog who was just yesterday hit by a gas-guzzling SUV driven by a Man who was on his way to the Board of Directors meeting of a Private Company that contributes to Global Warming
>Possibly.
than about the athlete's performance in the sport it is ostensibly covering.

You're right and you're wrong, and I'll explain why:

NBC thinks that only women watch the Olympics.

Thus, the Olympics is all Moms and Babies all the time.

Athlete's mom has breast cancer
Athlete's mom died of breast cancer 12 years ago
Athlete's mom survived breast cancer
Athlete herself beat breast cancer
Male athlete is here with wife and baby. LOOK AT THE BABY!!!
Athlete wrote dream book and gave it to his mom when he was 7. LET'S SHOW THE BOOK FOUR TIMES.
Sacrifices athlete's mom made to give him or her a chance to train.
Mom and dad in the crowd, let's interview mom.
Athlete thanks mom and tell her it's all for her.
Let's show pictures of the athletes as a baby!

Literally, THIS is what they show. I can name MULTIPLE athletes who have mothers with breast cancer, yet there are entire sports that were never shown. This is purposeful. NBC thinks that women watch the games and they make it all for women, all the time. There's a reason that the Opening Ceremony had the morning talk show crew introduce it rather than a news crew. Who the fuck watches Hoda and Kathie Lee? Certainly not fucking men.

If I remember well there were 2 exceptions to the antic rules: they were not fully naked because it was for a tv channel, and the pancrace was performed by professional fighters for obvious reasons.

For example they had to run bare foot on gravels, outch...

Beach volley. It's not a real sport and it's extremely boring to watch.

>tfw you finish fifth and the damn horse that made you lose get a medal

Vert has more experimented skateboarders, street has too many kids.

>because theyre professional sports where the olympics isnt the biggest event
golf
tennis
rugby
football
basketball
>because theyre stupid
synchronised swimming
rhythmic gymnastics
horse dancing
>because theyre weird minority sports that nobody exept the people who play them give a shit about
water polo
handball
volleyball (both kinds)
>because it was only put in to try and make the olympics seem modern
bmx

>because theyre weird minority sports that nobody exept the people who play them give a shit about

that's about 80% of the olympic events m8

Handball is quite popular in Europe

Replace it with Horseracing IMO

rafting or whatever the fuck its called

I'm okay with tennis on the olympics. it's true that it isn't the major event of the sport, but at least come the top players.

it shouldnt be, its really boring

-At least half of Swimming events.
-Rythm gymnastics and "figure" gymnastics.
-Horse riding and horse "dancing".
-Shooting.
-Beach volley
-Golf.

Rest is fine in my book

Skateboarding, or any X-games bullshit they are adding for Tokyo

This circus shit needs to go.

Add Snooker instead

>Says a nobody from UK

Alrighty then

I would be fine with horse sports as long as horses get the medals and are allowed to compete under their own country/banner called Horse Kingdom

But not even most of the women in America like the Today Show. It's been downhill for almost a decade. People loathe that morning crew that's been festering for over two decades

A horse is an athlete.

The rider isn't.

I'm wondering if this is a cultural thing. In the US, people couldn't name a single jockey who has won the Kentucky Derby but sure as shit could name the horses. And jockeys do way more than these jumpers who just make sure the horse goes to the correct jump next and then holds on for the ride.

horse dancing? dont tell me they get medals for this

THIS
Especialy the stupid bmx.
You're wrong about the handball though, for some reason it is popular except in UK.

Canoe/Kayak slalom. If it were on natural rivers, why not.

Perfect example of useless and laughable sports that nobody plays, but are heavily sponsored. Disgusting.

remove horse sports
add 100km race walk (yes, it exists)

Edgy

Surfing is one of those things that seems like a good idea, but a lot of places don't have good surfing conditions near by. How a nigga gonna surf in fucking Paris?!

yea, tennis is fine because it at least has the best players, but football, rugby and basketball at the olympics are just stupid

Can you be more American, jesus the ignorance

That's exactly what I was talking about.