en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornalvo_Dam
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Homs_Dam
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Roman_dams_and_reservoirs
youtube.com/watch?v=CERSPar6pxs
youtube.com/watch?v=knVc9aBqnzg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I think they just did that for "artistic value"

Stay safeu, Netherlands!

I didn't even know this exist, probably costed millions.

is that a fucking wood holding all that water? that blows my slavic mind. dutch are genius.

"""""""Artistic""""""" architecture

looks comfy af

It does look pretty cool

>tfw your cunt has been buttfucking Mother Nature for 1500 years

dutchs are really very dumb

>tfw too smart to live above sea level

why do this? why not pile fuckload of earth and cement and fundaments and shit AND THEN build a house on top. water rises literally centimeters and its all fucked.

that looks fucking retarded

What an ingenious concept.

Instead of man always trying to fight nature and bend it to his will, the Dutch have found a way to embrace nature and all its imperfections, by creating a bridge which follows the natural slope of the river.

Indeed, it is a reflection that, we too, as human beings, form a part of nature.

>Millions of cubic kilometers of concrete

>Expecting economic sense from a pole, king of subsidies

i am talking about this particular house. if you were to live there wouldnt you want to be ABOVE sea level even when it rose?

you're looking too deep into it, you sound even more retarded than that """bridge"""

More like 100 at most..

>implying the water level isn't carefully regulated

The idea of integrating nature into our structures is a growing trend in architecture.

>“It’s about the building blending into and embracing the natural environment rather than try to push against it,” he said.

>Gillespie described the building’s form as expressing a feminine side of architecture as opposed to a masculine one.

>“When I see that building, that’s what comes to me,” he said. “There is so much testosterone in the real estate business that the last thing it needs is more of that.”

>Kuma said the scoops out of the building’s form bring natural light into suites and give more of a view of Lost Lagoon to the west. As well, for someone standing further east on Alberni and looking west, the scoop on that side will frame the lagoon in Stanley Park.

>“We’re trying to create a new flow on (Alberni) street,” he said.

>“In that sense, we’re not designing the volume — we’re designing the flow. That scoop is creating a natural flow between the buildings.”

That's also quite common, but in this case the dyke is used to form an island so you can pump water from the lower area into the higher area and build houses there.

Also the water on the right used to be sea but they turned it into a freshwater lake, so the water level is regulated.

There have been dykes since the 7th century

your picture is exactly what i meant. you can play with fire all you want but essential area should be well above sae level just in case.

how many meters on the left below sea level

Dykes were pretty common, even the ancient Egyptians and Romans had them. I was thinking more of our bigger projects like the Deltaworks.

Well then you'd have to destroy half of the houses built here kek. Dykes (if well maintained) are reliable. Last major flood was in the 50s before the construction of multiple storm surge barriers.

>Noordoostpolder

Literally the biggest mistake ever to reclaim that land. Should be flooded again including Urk

yep, romans were awesome

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proserpina_Dam
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornalvo_Dam
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Homs_Dam

all of them still in use, actually in Spain we have a shitload of them

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Roman_dams_and_reservoirs

>mfw we have infrastructures thanks to the romans

>My whole country is a reverse bathtub
Pretty neat, desu.

Do you also have a 2nd layer of dykes, just in case?

youtube.com/watch?v=CERSPar6pxs

Yes

where do you get the earth to do these works?

They don't have mountains anymore

This is also kinda based

youtube.com/watch?v=knVc9aBqnzg

myself?, I admire Dutch Hydraulic Engineering