Explain

explain

Other urls found in this thread:

salon.com/2016/03/18/ayn_rands_warped_superheroes_of_course_zack_snyders_vision_of_greatness_owes_everything_to_the_fountainhead/
forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2016/04/01/interview-zack-snyder-discusses-themes-behind-batman-v-superman/#72d351214df6
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

lol

It's called expectations

BvS was shit

Brand power leads to higher expectations.
>BvS
Two of the biggest superhero icons in history
>GOTG
A bunch of literally whos

Expectation vs reality

BvS, if I recall, intended to make 1 billion or more

Everyone thought guardians of the who was going to bomb
Everyone expected batshit and superman to almost do star wars 7 numbers because its the first time for it

You are trying to compare a movie about a bunch of heroes only comic book fans knew about and a movie about fucking Batman fighting Superman.

you see.. both those things are movies, movies cost money to make and then... they MAKE money

pretty cool, huh?

this

as more of a DC fanboy, I am disgusted

Where's my Doom Patrol or JLI movie? DC can't even make their two biggest characters into a giant hit.

DC Executive/Lord Rapeface: This movie has Batman and Superman, it should do THIS MUCH!

Marvel executive: HAIL MARY PASS, MARKET THE FUCK OUT OF THIS, GET ME THAT PRATT FELLA AS A CONTINGENCY, THE LADIES LIKE HIM MAKE SURE HE DROPS THAT GUT

It's so bad that in press screenings for GotG audiences were confused afterwards and were like "Yeah it was ok but where was Iron Man?"

you sound like a total faggot lmao

Fuck. Even many comic fans didn't read them. I only read the Drax mini at the time because I liked author Kieth Giffen.

because the budget for GotG was 170m, not 232.

And the budget for BvS was more than $400m (I know it's retarded. Complain to Warner)

OP confirmed for faggot

Anons have already said expectations vs results, but there was also the fact that BvS dropped massively between weekend openings and kept dropping at big rates.

For a global release it was shit numbers, and at the end of it it continued to be shit in returns.

World wide it never hit a billion. Civil War is still in theaters and it's already above a billion.

Cry more DC fag.

Its not really 232m

It's funny how things like "this went way the fuck over budget" get completely lost in only a couple months.

Hell, waterworld was estimated to have gone about 800m over budget, but all that's remembered is it's initial posted budget.

Nobody knows who the Guardians of the galaxy are. Everyone knows Superman and Batman. Higher expectations.

Notice the subtle use of language. "box office disappointment" versus "commercial success." They're not even judging them by the same metrics.

One can still be disappointed with a success, expecting it to have been even more successful, but that doesn't make it a failure, just a disappointing success, as paradoxical as that might sound.

Expectations be damned. I honestly believe at this point that there is a media bias, be it against a rival franchise, Snyder as a director, or a combination of the two. There wouldn't even need to be any "payola" making the rounds for such a thing to come about.

BvS has the most well known superheroes in it, it was expected to get billions.

GotG was a bunch of nobodies not even some capeshit readers know, it wasn't expected they got that much.

Reading is fundamental dude.
And wth. This is news to me. How the hell does Disney keep that budget a secret.
The price tag of a film does effect the narrative around it critically as the higher the budget, the higher the expectations and harsher the criticism.

I really think BVS got shat on critically because many critics really believed that the film had a production budget of 400 million.

The difference in expectation between 170 and 230 are massive. Much less 400 million.

>Guardians of the galaxy? wtf is that

>Batman vs Superman

Warner wanted Man of Steel to make more money than Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2.

Maybe an optimistic expectation, but either way they wanted it to make more than 1 billion.

When that didn't happen, they canned the sequel (and this is confirmed) and decided to put Batman against Superman. They sure as hell hoped THAT would make AT LEAST 1 billion.

Well there's definately a "media bias" against zack snyder, as hes a literal drooling retard with no business directing anything, ever.

Your first statement. Spot on.

It's laughably unprofessional how bias reviewers are.

While BvS and Sony (ASM2 and SPECTRE) get killed for bloated budgets, Disney cranks out a quarter billion dollar B- movie and critics praise it for being quaint and organic.

Ya know cause paying through the nose to get A list stars (Cooper, Diesel) to do voice work and buying the rights to Jackson five songs (and such) isn't indulgent as fuck.

This

You can close this thread now OP.

And you base that assessment off what, exactly? The more I look into this guy, the more I think he's in the business of bucking the system, challenging his viewers, and pissing off fanboys.

Batman v Superman Real Budget:
$450 million

Try again junior

Snyder is so based.

i dont understand what this image is meant to convey

AAA list V D list

I think pic related sums it up pretty nicely.

that's adorable. you have homework to do.

damn dude you really got him

Like some links to the Forbes articles they came from? I got all night. Homework's a distant memory to me. So is college.

>BvS
Three year old sequel to moderately successful move

>GotG
24th installment of a successful movie series

Get fucked Comic Book faggots

explain why ant man didnt make as much then

wow easy there

Aside from Spiderman, Batman and Supernan are two of the biggest comic book heroes and BvS had one of the biggest mareting campaigns. I can guarantee you 95 percent of people never even heard of Starlord vefore the movie

>BvS marketing budget: $250 million
>GotG marketing budget: $120 million
>more of GotG's box office came from NA, where studios receive ~50% of the box office
>more of BvS box office came from China, where studios receive ~25% of the box office

They fucked up GOTG so badly

Because it didnt have the guy from Jurassic Park, a talking racoon and a tree in it.

Any movie that takes the subject of God seriously will be panned by liberal media (news outlets, 75% of RT bloggers)

Snyder BTFO those pussies either way. A man among men, joining the ranks of other based filmmakers like Gibson, Nolan, and Malick in today's overly liberal, pandering entertainment industry.

it's because a lot of the time they didn't actually go over budget by that much, it's so the studio can write off more of the loss as a tax deduction.

This is pretty much why Snyder BTFOs all other capeshit.

tell that to the millions of people who will now rush out to see the sequel.

Thank you based Snyder for btfo of the pathetic nihilists.

I just meant as an adaption

What's funny to me is that he kicked their ass in more ways than one. by proving that for all their intellectual snobbery, they're not even smart enough to understand that a movie filled with references to gods and religious imagery isn't even actually about a god.

It's about how humanity tries to make gods at every available opportunity, and perception versus reality,

Bad trailer.

The movie was alright though. It was an awful trailer though

Media bias on election year.
I read an article yesterday by a nu-male bashing Snyder's work where he claimed that only Trump supporters are dumb enough to like his work. Had a hearty chuckle. This guy has an aversion to sex, for some reason. He also has a personal vendetta against Ayn Rand.

>His only successful comic book adaptation was of Frank Miller’s “300,” and its success was entirely predicated on the fact that it contained the same amount of ideological complexity as the average Trump supporter.

salon.com/2016/03/18/ayn_rands_warped_superheroes_of_course_zack_snyders_vision_of_greatness_owes_everything_to_the_fountainhead/

all i got from this is

>superheroes should be taken seriously
>no really people flying on colorful outfits and shit
>REAL STUFF
>what is fun? baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no fun.

He's right

He looks like a bitch.

ayy lmao, talk about plebeians
>He didn't like Watchmen nor MoS

Expectations aren't always met in reality. They still had a movie that technically made a profit. Are hollywood movie studios run by 12 year olds?

Expectations and critical reception. BvS had two of arguably the biggest comic book characters of all time and was projected to be a universe-defining masterpiece that would make a gorillion dollars. GotG had a bunch of relative unknowns, and had almost no expectations at all because everything about it was so off the wall. BvS had a huge opening but the biggest drop-off for a superhero movie of all time and it was almost universally panned. GotG came out of left field, obliterated the box office, and it got glowing reviews.

It's not just about the numbers, it's about the context and the impact.

>pulling numbers out of my gaping anus: the shitpost

That's not the message at all, but I'll never convince you of that, I'm quite sure.

Here's a link if you're at all interested.

forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2016/04/01/interview-zack-snyder-discusses-themes-behind-batman-v-superman/#72d351214df6

IF they spent that much moneyh on marketing why were the trailers so shit?

It was released later that it cost 230M. Also that they got 36M from the brits, so it was actually around 190M.

Also I don't think Disney spent all that much marketing it. Relatively speaking, of course.

When will it be revealed that BvS cost 500M?

women didn't like gotg because they liked fat pratt more than fit pratt

I'm still waiting to see why it cost 250M. There has to be some serious fucking price-gouging going on with these flicks.

I wonder how much of these budgets end up right back in their pockets. Like buying something from a store your own.

You could try any article or interview you want, but what he said isnt on his movies (maybe watchmen but that didnt need any interpretation), the execution its god awful and need a lot of asspulls to keep going, maybe he has the idea but need a better writer

how does that two even connect?

>spending money = being good

lol

sets cost money. actors cost money. cgi cost money.

that shit had all. cast was huge. look at imdb page for actors.

A film about the most well known superheroes made almost as much as a film about superheroes only hardcore comic fans knew about

how does this not make sense to you bro?

I'm waiting on the director's cut to pass any sort of final judgement in that regard. From all reports, a good amount of the narrative was the victim of the cutting room floor. As you say, as presented, the fans have to do a good deal of heavy lifting to piece it all together, but hopefully, the cut coming in July will fix a lot of the narrative issues as well as some of the film's other problems.

your theatrical relase will always be shit tho

companies are setting more and more unrealistic expectations for themselves.

Its absurd but its something they're doing to themselves which makes it all the more confusing.

comic book heroes are THE TRUE AMERICAN GODS

While I don't agree that it was shit, I think it's kind of funny that the execs hit the panic button and cut it down by a half hour so late in the game.

I wonder if Snyder just let them do it out of anger with them, knowing that ultimately they'd only be hurting themselves.

They're modern mythology at the very least, and like that mythology, they can do a lot more than simply entertain.

business ain't Sup Forums's business

>Expectations aren't always met in reality. They still had a movie that technically made a profit. Are hollywood movie studios run by 12 year olds?

You're ignorant of reality. The company promised the stockholders a BILLION dollars. Preparations were made in advance of the expected money, projects were greenlit, people were paid. Now they have to cancel things, go back on contracts (which have cancelation clauses that cost money), run damage control. Lots and lots of fucking money in the toilet.

The problem here is you think this shit is only about those numbers you see on boxofficemojo. Guardians was successful because it was humble. They likely even expected it to bomb, and that's what they told the stockholders.

oh shit
FUCKIN
SNYDER

>A Movie about a rag tag bunch of characters no one's ever heard of, including a cartoon tree and raccoon

vs

>A Movie about two of the most famous Cartoon Characters ever, including every memer's favoritest, Batman

One starred a bunch of literally whos, the other starred three of the most well known superheroes of all time. If you don't understand why Batman v Superman's box office returns were disappointing then you're retarded.

> BvS had two of arguably the biggest comic book characters of all time

Superman and Batman are the best selling and most popular of all superheroes. Spider-Man comes in third, though that's irrelevant here.

Seeing that the last two installments of the Nolan Trilogy grossed over a billion each, it seems mainstream audiences didn't connect with Snyder's vision and critics ripped it to shreds. WB was expecting Avengers level money, however, BvS fell quite short of that goal. Meanwhile, GotG were obscure characters and people expected that film to be Marvel's first bomb. And I thought GotG's budget was under $200 million?

>movie uses two of the biggest names in comics
>doesn't break a billion

Hnnnnnnnnnnnng

normies wouldn't even know who the guardians were. everyone knows batman and supes. do the math.

>commercial success
Gotg is pure trash. 70% of this board is retarded

and you are part of that percentage

Hello Zack

DAD BOOOODDDD!!

Hey faggot I dont like any capeshit

Your two party bickering is pathetic. BVS sucks CW sucks they all suck

Whatever faggot

Well, zack, you don't seem to have really liked any movie you've ever made.

waterworld had to rebuild every set multiple times due to weather, had to keep basically every actor on way, way, way over contract due to rebuilding sets and inclement weather conditions, and basically spent years on what was originally scheduled for months.

So, yea, that shit was so far over budget it just wasn't funny.

But time passes and because it didn't have a hashtag, no one remembers, and it looks like "dud waterworld wont dat bad."

For your sake I hope you didn't make that

..........how do you expect to have a conversation like this. Thanks for making the board absolute cancer discussing superhero flicks like a ten year old

Batman vs Superman should've been the highest grossing movie of all time. Like the two of the most recognizable superheroes going at it and a movie most people only dreamed of happening for the longest time. I've only watched a few capeshit so far and have never touched a comic ever, but I was damn excited when it was announced.