Deep foreign movies

Why are foreign movies deeper than american ones?
more psychological movies like pic related? preferably french or japanese

You're watching the wrong American films? The 400 Blows is excellent, but not terribly deep or psychological.

Because america is the home of capeshit and capeshit-esque blockbusters. People are too desensitized to appreciate good filmmaking.

>jap movies
Anything made after the 1960's is shit tier.

Japs are horrible actors and writers.
It's why anime exists.
Japs are plebs.

>400 blows
>deep
what
it's a straightforward, light-hearted coming of age flick

what are the right american movies?
give me some user

Everyone knows the USA has the richest film tradition in the world. US invented cinema and pioneered everything in it.

Who has the next richest film tradition? Japanese film is a treasurehouse, but is the Japanese film tradition richer than France's? To some extent this calculation must depend on taste. Some people tend to like French film more, some Japanese. The French, however, do have some significant factors in their favor. The French claim to cinema greatness goes back as far as cinema itself, and has been a pretty much unbroken chain of excellence. (Excepting, perhaps, the WWII period. Even during WWII, they produced "Children of Paradise.") Japanese cinema's significant history starts in the early 1930s. While there are fine Japanese films from that era, Japanese film really geared up during the early 1950s, and then produced a lengthy string of fine films from many directors through the 70s. The 80s and 90s, however, have been a less productive period for Japanese films. (Unless you're on of those who regards anime as the peak of cinematic achievement.) They've made some films worth watching, but they've experienced a truly fallow period, in my opinion. The French, on the other hand, while not perhaps up to their finest periods, continue to produce exceptional films.

Japanese art has always been more interested in exaggeration and caricature than naturalism. Compare old paintings of animals like tigers from Japanese and other cultures. I think this carries over into their acting.

It is kind of difficult to explain this, because the sutble acting is Mifune's worst parts. Gestures in his films are exaggerated, weird and explanatory to the foreign audience. His films are ruined due to Western pandering.

If you want to see real Japanese acting, watch the films of Ozu, Mizoguchi, Naruse, Kinoshita, Imamura, and Teshigahara.

Hollywood always had a wide-net, so they try to pander to everyone possible. This means they must be shallow, easily understood, and entertaining to people from all age groups and socioeconomic backgrounds.

"Foreign" movies, by contrast, are for a select or smaller audience. Movies in languages such as Czech or Hungarian are made for a tiny, close-knit culture, and this aspect of them allows the filmmaker to delve deep into their experiences and problems.

>It's why anime exists.
But some of the best movies ever made are anime meme-kun

Talking purely by decades, 50-70's Italian cinema is my favorite, 60's Italian is the pinnacle of cinema imo
I love everything about it, the politics, the exploitation, the arthouse, the comedies. American cinema just seems bland by comparison.

40-60's Japanese cinema
then 70's Hollywood, which had a strong Italian flavor
40-50's Hollywood
40-60's French cinema

Orson Welles, John Cassavetes, Woody Allen, Terrence Malick, Whit Stillman, Noah Baumbach, John Huston, The Coens, Charlie Kaufman, Rick Alverson, Jonathan Glazer, Nicholas Ray, Mike Nichols, recent Cronenberg

Depends on your mood, but the above directors make thoughtful, quality films

Because you only know of the critically acclaimed foreign movies and not the European sex comedies that have fart jokes and funny accents in them

>Whit Stillman
>deep
He just pokes fun at dumb upper class kids, there's nothing deep about him

why do plebs always talk about welles, bunuel, hitchcock, fellini, bergman, ozu, spielberg, peckinpah, godard, truffaut, dreyer, bresson, kurosawa, imamura, ichikawa, mizoguchi, visconti, troell, ford, hawks, eisenstein, tarkovsky, vertov, renoir, murnau, sternberg, lang, griffith, scorsese, coppola, chabrol, rohmer, leone, tavernier, kusterica, yimou, kubrick, wilder, wyler, wajda, polanski, rosselllni, desica, antonioni, bertolucci, clouzot, carol reed, boorman, demille, eastwood, kiarostami, szabo, jansco, depalma, vigo, donen, lean, and satyajit ray as if they were the pinnacle of cinema?

>It's why anime exists.

You really shouldnt write it off as a whole because of its fan base or medium. They've come up w/ some pretty remarkable stuff.

Did you hear me say "deep," because I didnt. It's a nebulous, subjective term. And if that's all you take away from his films you're looking at art wrong.

This

Enough w these meme directors

>Japanese art has always been more interested in exaggeration and caricature than naturalism.
Explain haiku

Fucking hate that faggot. Wish he ran into the sea and drowned

hurr durr i ran to a beach and its a fucking dead end who'd have thought the sea would be there

It's taken me literally five minutes to respond because I have limited bandwidth and Google's ReCAPTCHA, even in Legacy mode, uses 4MB to even connect successfully.

I was going to say something about linked verses but I'm just so frustrated right now. Chemin.

I don't get the 400 blows meme really. I can see how it changed cinema but as a movie that stands by itself it isn't that good. The french autuer movement is so sloppy and boring sometimes. This film has some interesting aspects but the whole of the movie itself doesn't feel that special. Some stuff happens in a loose sequential order, it's filmed in a naturalistic way.

I understand it's statement, but that seems more important to the context of living in France in the 60s, and how they treated delinquents and outcasts.

>flick

turbo plebbe detected. its literal film

As a film in itself it's brilliant, forget the hype and the movement and all that goes with it. Simple, unassuming, affecting.