What is the "start with the Greeks" of music?

What is the "start with the Greeks" of music?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9RjBePQV4xE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Sup Forumscore

The Beatles

Herbie

Start with the Sup Forumscore

unironically this is true. sometimes some of us have gone down the rabbit hole of music so far that we forget that a vast majority of people still havent scratched the surface of Sup Forumscore. it really does open you up to other genres and albums. you can ask some people on the street who NMH are and they will look completely baffled

youtube.com/watch?v=9RjBePQV4xE

For pop music the Blues or post civil war Folk.

Start with the monks.

I think you could make a strong case for Bach - for any western music at least

Start with the mu core of course

early blues is definitely widely influential

This is the correct answer.

Classical

Baroque classical music.

Bach is a good example of that. The theoretical foundation of the wide variety of music and the approach towards melody can all be found here.

The Art Of Fugue
Goldberg Variations
Concertos For Violin
Brandenburg Concertos
Mass In B Minor
The Well-Tempered Clavier

Are all great starts into understanding music and what entails music worth remembering for all time rather than just what's hip.

this is probably the best starting point for common harmonic practices, but for an even more fundamental understanding of western music you could literally start with the greeks, their systems of tuning, and work your way up to how we arrived at diatonic scales

I agree.
People who have been on this board for a long time often shit on Sup Forumscore albums but they are in that list for a reason.
They have opened up many genres for me and introduced me to some of my favorite artists so it really is a great place to start imo

Listen to Parisian middle age composers

1910s

literally 1/3 people know who nmh is by now at LEAST.

good post

underrated.

Start with the Monks.
Can't believe no one said it.

For rock music post 1960s, start with The Velvet Underground

>Can't believe no one said it.
>someone did say it
you madman you

Start with the memes