Is he as good as everyone says he is?

Is he as good as everyone says he is?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-ruUsb15GNg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

MF Doom in general is, Madvilliany is very overrated though

yeah Madlib/Quasimoto is too but Madvilliany is probably overrated. still a great record though

eh... it has its moments, dont look to it as a rap album.

>yes
This and Food are sort of concept albums, but both are classics, IMO. I think most Madvillainy haters are contrarian, but I am sure most would say the same about me with anything Radiohead has ever done (Ive never once been impressed by them).

I can safely promise you 100% that you will not get every one of his lyrics the first time through.

yes

Better, the only 'lackluster' DOOM/Ghidorah/Victor Vauhn albums are JJ DOOM(promotional) and less than half of Born Like This
I also had to get the special herbs 0-9 set because of how hypnotising his beats are.

took me a while to get into him but would never go back he's crazy good, kinda hard for him to be overrated when he's so underground

>so underground

What do you consider to be underground ?

His flows are unmatched, I can only think of Tech N9ne and J Dilla (mostly because he's a matyr) who even come close.

Madvillainy before it got it's dick sucked by every critic on the planet.

god tier producer as well

youtube.com/watch?v=-ruUsb15GNg

Nah

bro it sold over 100K+ first week.

He gets better the more you dissect the lyrics, but its not an absolute necessity like it is with early Aesop for example.

Half the cuts on JJ DOOM really grow on you. I'd consider his lyrics on Guv'nor and Retarded Friend among his best (if also most obtuse) lyrics. The real problem is none of the feature (non Doom) tracks fit and quite a few of the beats don't work with his flow, or are a little boring.

Born Like This is fantastic as well, really underrated. I think a lot of people going into it didn't understand how he changed his persona for that one.

Hes ok, over hyped by white bois who think MF Doom is the pinnacle of hip hop.

He's no GOAT, no. He's not even in the running.

incredible and innovative as it rightfully is, it's nowhere near as timeless as lots of people seem to preach on the first day of their alt-hiphop missions.

definitely cool to hear the instrumental record separately though. madlib puts a lot of focus on miniscule definitions and intricate sample-flipping - as per his status quo - but i feel like this album is particularly dense and layered compared to his other productions.
as far as doom goes, i much prefer the records he produced on his own and Vaudeville Villain to the mv feel.

Interested in who you think would classify as GOATS?

its not like rappers have set a very high bar for themselves

Don't be such an overly defensive fanboy faget. I don't have any interest in recommending great rap to a babby either, there are more than enough lists out there already.