Daily Japanese Thread DJT #1783

Cornucopia of Resources / Guide
Read the guide before asking questions.
djtguide.neocities.org/

Special Sup Forums FAQ:
>What's the point of this thread?
For learners of Japanese to come and ask questions and shitpost with other learners. Japanese people learning English can come too I guess.
>Why is it here?
The mods moved us here and won't let us go anywhere else.
>Why not use the pre-existing Japanese thread?
The cultures are completely different.
>Go back to Sup Forums
There's the door

Last thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youngboysheart.blogspot.com.br/2013/06/young-boys-heart-by-richard-rothkugel.html
youtu.be/UBQP9gEldRk
imabi.net/negativepast.htm
www3.amherst.edu/~wtawa/jvrules/index.php?form=conjunctive
mega.nz/#F!BVADBAKK!Jx9EErWgIpMDuOOmQLEhwQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Anybody has advice for ressource for the JLPT?

I plan on either taking N2 or N3 depending on how fast I can get through N2 stuff.

Learn Japanese, then go through the shin kanzen master N1 grammar book and enjoy your easy high score on N1

>#1783
Du bist so dumm

shit, oh well

next time then

Hey guys, I'm writing a fanfic about my trap younger brother, but I need some help to translate it to Japanese, since I can't speak it despite all my efforts.
How''s the first paragraph sound?

青坊心

その一

ヘンリーは変な少年だった。友達少なく42日間にある萌えた少女に話しかけるように試した。最初の20日にはあたしが彼の失敗を見守ったが20日後見苦しいになるのでもう見えなかった。

You can find more about it here:
youngboysheart.blogspot.com.br/2013/06/young-boys-heart-by-richard-rothkugel.html

>Like a larvae I squirmed about removing my pyjamas and putting on my school clothes

>Newly born I emerged from my cocoon.
youtu.be/UBQP9gEldRk

anyway, I'm not going to read that shit

バンプ

>Young boy's heart
>青坊心
It seems you could make a new Japanese word.

And do you think I read it?

This blog was written by that retarded Australian Tripfag, Richard Rothkugel that keeps spamming his blog here.

I already have a template for our next DJT cover, check it out.

(He's South African, by the way, not Australian.)

Does it sound and look good? I took inspiration from 青春 and tried to find a single kanji that represented "boy".

I changed my SD card to a better one and mistakenly corrupted my Anki. I tried to change the folder but it did not work. What do I do now? Is it possible to recover my deck? The backup is also corrupted. I reviewed more than three thousand cards and had a deck created by myself with more than 300 kanji. Should I start new decks now? I'm between n3 and n2, could you recommend me some decks? Dude...

didnt you have it synced with anki web?

Oe Kiiino

You only had to sync.

Would it be stupid to start The Kodansha Kanji Learner's Course after doing RtK? KKLC gives both the pronunciations and example words so I'd learn them while reviewing the already familiar characters.

Just do Core.

Yeah but i didn't. It's gone now, nothing more to do. Could you recommend me decks? Is it possible to get into N2 in 11 months being already a N3? These are my currently decks

Yeah but i didn't. It's gone now, nothing more to do. Could you recommend me decks? Is it possible to get into N2 in 11 months being already a N3? These are my currently decks

I'm doing Core right now. I just want to somehow reinforce my kanji knowledge. Just keywords provided by Heisig are not cutting it for me.

there is a thread on /jp/. why is this here?

filthy weeaboos need to be banned from Sup Forums once and for all

>few hundred cards into core
>No problem memorizinf any kanji so far

I get the feeling I'm about to get raped, like it's just beginner's momentum that everyone has.

Can anyone identify the kanji after 日please?

Is there a better method of learning japanese than cobbling together bits of phrases from TV drama and music songs you picked up and posting it on the other japanese thread to see if you get a response that makes sense?

感謝

why are you learning japanese m8?

enlight me.

I have an idea, at least for the pre-made decks:
>Set your initial card curve WAY higher than normal (something like 15 days for Good and 30 for Easy);
>Spend your weekend doing a billion cards, until you reach the point where you stopped previously.
This way you will get a few wrong and have to review them tomorrow as natural, no problem.
>Then you tag all the cards you passed on your first try as "Push1" for instance and make a custom study deck of "study ahead" that filters for Push1 cards, and do it in your next weekend or any other free time you can get;
This will push the ones you pass even further.
>Tag the ones which get 60 days (or whatever) as "Push2", grind and repeat until you think you've spread your new deck enough to keep it sustainable.

Just set the curve back to normal when review due cards, those shouldn't be pushed back artifficially.

I know it sounds shitty, but that's what I got.
If I had to re-start (I'm almost finishing Core10k) I would just say fuck it and make a personal mining-deck instead.

Does -ないといけない apply only to me? Or I can use for others? Sounds a bit pushy for Japanese standards.

>tfw japan has the only int related general both the culture gen and language gen
Reeeeeee

You COULD in theory do it with other languages, but no one wants to learn any other language as bad as they want Japanese, so it would flunk after it lost its flavor.

Also everyone in this thread should fuck off to the /jp/ one so I can filter /jp/ and not have to see your ugly faces.

I don't mind you going after me, but going after my family is really low.

Have some shame.

I'm not sure what you mean, I just think this picture would make a great DJT cover.

The more you post here the more of your personal life will end up being shared for laughs at your expense. I suggest you stop posting, permanently.
Arrogant tripfags like you deserve no sympathy nor respect.

I thought you were annoying at first, but now I hope you keep posting lessons just so I can laugh at these two crybaby spergs acting like mom burnt their tater tots.

>anki in the morning
>anki between college classes
>anki between college and work
>anki after work and before sleep
>never have time for tae kim
>read japanese learning material on the bus ride to college
>literally don't have time for girlfriend or videogames

is there a term like karoshi for people learning japanese because if there isn't there should be one

>3D-posting
>spamming and self-advertising tripfag
>meta-discussion
>shitflinging
Wow, these threads really turned to shit quicker than I expected. Time to move on to /jp/'s DJT, I guess.

Brazilians are stereotyped as sub-human trash. I like to keep an open mind, but I guess you just proved that stereotypes are stereotypes for a reason.

I don't appreciate you using pictures of my family. What you are doing is immature and you should consider what it would feel like if someone did it to you.

Most of that will die down once the tripfag leaves for good. A little bit of extra torque is sometimes required to remove a rusty nut.

>I don't appreciate
You arrogant fucking piece of shit. Maybe you should have thought about that before spamming your pateron links and advertising, which is against the rules here.
If you have no respect for others, why the fuck should they have any for you?

Feel free to post every single picture of my family you manage to find by googling "Brazilian anonymous", .Richard-sensei.

But where will you project your self-loathing when he leaves?

>めんごめんごアノン君、あたしねなんか@gamesしかパソコンを使わない。さよなら!(T_T)ノ

i would literally kill myself if that happened. this is going to be the ultimate fruit of the seed i've been sowing for literally three fucking years

nobody plays the long game as well as i do

There is a line and normal well adjusted people know where it lies. The line has been crossed in this instance and I won't stand for it.

If you want me to leave that badly, then I will leave.

Why exactly are では and じゃ interchangeable in negation? By that, I'm trying to ask, what exactly is its "purpose" when you suffix it with ない?

I'm trying to understand the Imabi beginner tutorial on negation/past tense imabi.net/negativepast.htm . I'd really prefer to understand why conjugation patterns are the way they are, rather than purely memorize every case through brute force.

It's a simple abbreviation, like how それは becomes そりゃ

やっと

Different Brazilian here. I don't really care about your posts, given this thread's current state, and certainly not enough to go out of my way to google your personal stuff, but I honestly think you should just move to reddit. Not even in a "gb2reddit fag" way, it's just that Sup Forums isn't a suitable place for what you're trying to do.

this

no matter how much japanese i learn, it just keeps getting harder.

4 months into japanese study, here's where i'm at

my tae kim is still in basic grammar section but i also have the DoJG deck which i have set to 3 new cards per day for now until i'm more comfortable with grammar.

>New cards learned: 34
>Cards relearned: 48
(Total: 82)
>Again count: 134

That's 52 redundant agains, you're probably going too fast and not even analyzing what you're seeing,
And how come you flunked 35 and relearned 48?

i hit again if i get the pronounciating even slightly wrong

and sometimes learning new kanji fucks up the way i memorized old kanji, so a character i previously had no problems with is now hard because i now 'understand' the kanji characters better which in term fucks over the way i used to memorize the older words

Okay, I think I phrased that poorly. What I'm trying to figure out is is what では "is" as it relates to negation - what exactly the "unit" of grammar here is. The article explains that で is the conjunctive form of だ - so I've been reading about the conjunctive form of verbs from www3.amherst.edu/~wtawa/jvrules/index.php?form=conjunctive , and I think I maybe understand a little better.

I'm left with a couple questions - assuming I'm conjugating correctly, what's the difference between 「走てない」and 「走るじゃない」? And why do you need は after で in ではない?

Don't leave. Your lessons were the bright light in an otherwise shit thread.

If you do end up giving in to these bullies, I hope at the very least you continue working on your book. Being able to teach people to be fluent in a single year is a game changer.

Please leave.

>走るじゃない
That's just plain wrong, unless you're trying to make a tag question. ではない/じゃない is only used to conjugate 名詞 and ナ形容詞 to the negative form.

>And why do you need は after で in ではない?
Actually, you don't. You could simply use でない and the meaning would remain the same.
However, for some reason, it has become common practice to use them together in this case. Maybe because it's easier to slur them into じゃ like this, I don't know.

>走てない
走らない, you mean?
It's the proper way to conjugate the verb 走る to the negative form.

You can use it for whomever.

>If you want me to leave that badly, then I will leave.
Yes, please do so.

I'm wracking my brain trying to remember all the onyomi/kunyomi of certain Kanji. There are some that I've come across that seem to list off a number of different pronunciations. How does /djt/ handle hurdles like this?

I've been getting bombarded with a few kanji with lots of different, seemingly irrelevant pronunciations, and while I'm going over my daily limit already today I don't want to back away what I've got in front of me.

Learn words, not readings.

I'm trying to learn them through Anki, and it's giving maybe 5 words and sometimes they only use one reading. Should I just not bother learning the other readings until I need to then?

>Should I just not bother learning the other readings until I need to then?
Yes. Because kanji are supposed to represent ideas, not sounds.

Best is baseline knowledge of the couple hundred kanji that are essentially impossible to ignore/forget through context, then a dedicated study of the Joyo through RTK or a similar method.

I have yet to meet an advanced learner of Japanese who "just picked it all up through context." At some point in your career you will have to either:

1. be Chinese
2. just study the goddamn kanji already

Grinding Kanzen master and vocab decks works.
People seem to disagree with me here, but I also think you should make cards for each grammar point because you won't encounter some of them in the wild enough to commit them to memory.
Also do reading comprehension exercises with a timer and don't use a dictionary. Force yourself to guess at words you don't know.

Uhh also bring a physical watch to the test. For some weird reason they will deliberately remove all clocks from the room.

The sooner all Sup Forums weenies fuck off to /jp/ the better. These threads should reflect the culture of Sup Forums rather than an alien board. 3D, meta, and shitflinging are all good.

>he doesn't realize majority of the generals browsers just have both threads open

I see why using じゃない with a verb is a mistake now - my apologies. As for 走らない, I fucked up because I mistakenly thought it was a ru-verb rather than an u-verb of type る.

So, knowing that it's an u-verb, the correct conjunctive form should be 走って, right? So then, can you negate it by attaching ない as a suffix, like「走ってない」? If so, what's the difference between this and「走らない」? If not, why is this ungrammatical?

I certainly don't.
/jp/ is the most reddit tier board on this site.

Please stay, don't give in to the vocal minority. Most people here enjoy and appreciate your high quality content, it would be a huge shame if the small number of autists who hate fun were able to ruin that for everyone.

>Not Sup Forums

user, I don't think I've seen someone more wrong in the history of Sup Forums, and I saw people legitimately thinking Hillary had no chance of losing.

I'm not even counting Sup Forums, which has unironic cuck threads, and other filth. Both are pretty normie tier shitfests though and I can't even begin to see /jp/ competing. I know you're just spiteful, but jesus christ user.

Watch your words, he's blind to irony.

Idiots love wanikani too but DJT used to be about buckling down and studying instead of falling for stupid gimmicks that someone claims will get you fluent in a year despite he himself not being fluent in 10.

well tbf I don't think I've even clicked on Sup Forums once during my sad tenure here so I can't comment

But it's /jp/ that spearheaded the concept of hypermoderation and generals. The board once had an amazingly creative and absurd subculture that sprung up in contrast to the stuffiness dictated from above, but that has largely collapsed with the closure of /ghost/ and the only people left on the jay are the prime reddit demographic: those backseat quality cops with an unwavering fixation on the topic at hand and nothing more. The lickspittles that used to populate phpbb forums the world over and now roost here.

Their temper flares up from time to time in this thread too; see any time I post a 3D image as the OP with otherwise correct formatting. Once again, these types of posters are incompatible with imageboard culture and should be bullied into leaving

If you want to talk about XYZ under stringent guidelines, then shut up and go to /r/XYZ ffs

Making a connective negative doesn't even make sense. What you're doing is merely attaching a verb in the negative form to another verb in the connective form.

But, yeah, I guess you could use 走ってない (see the grammar behind 〜てある) in a sentence like, for example, 「道が走ってない」 (lit. "Road hasn't been run")

「 俺は道を走らない」 would mean simply "I don't run (down) the street"

I see, thanks!

Duolingo was marking me wrong, but I guess it's just arbitrarily switching between "ikenai" and "hitsuyou ga aru".

Are you the one that posted the 3D nigger op pic? If so, what were you attempting to accomplish with that?

Don't use Duolingo. It's a cute app for vaginiggers who want to learn a few gimmicky phrases and forget them a week later. Even if you are dedicated to it, you will progress at a snail's pace.

Frustrating Sup Forums nerds who insist on carrying their culture over to Sup Forums.

I did it with French (my only study apart from reading) and I'm already able to converse with people in French (although very basically).

I think it has its merits, specially for drilling production and making it feel natural to type certain sequences of words. I wouldn't be doing that kind of study even if I were studying proper grammar, probably.

Don't worry, though, I'm past 60% of the course in less than a month and once it's over it's nothing but a 10 minute review every day. Just getting a feeling for basic sentences before I dive into proper grammar material.

Ok. Do what works for you of course.

>What you're doing is merely attaching a verb in the negative form to another verb in the connective form.
That's close to my understanding of what's happening there - but what's the verb in the negative form? ない is an i-adjective, right?

I won't learn about 〜てある until Imabi lesson 30, so I'll put it to rest. I can at least be satisfied with the knowledge that 走ってない is grammatical and relates to the negation of 走る (and eventually I'll fully understand its difference in meaning).

>I won't learn about 〜てある until Imabi lesson 30
Just read The Kim and the Grammar Reference in the guide, my man. You'll make progress much faster.

>but what's the verb in the negative form? ない is an i-adjective, right?
Unless you want to sound like a samurai and use the ぬ negative, every verb in the negative form is going to end in ない and work just like any い形容詞

Tae Kim*

Hm, okay, thanks. I feel like learning from Imabi is the "right way" but also significantly slower. I'm sort of torn. Maybe I'll use Tae Kim first, start reading, then begin digging into Imabi to formalize what I've learned.

The "right way" is not to try to learn all grammar before reading. You learn enough to quickstart reading, then you go through formal grammar at a slower pace while learning mostly through exposure.

Okay, that makes sense. I'll stick to that as my plan.

Thanks for all the help, everyone.

Bump.

棺担ぎのクロ。~懐中旅話~
第1~5巻
4~5 are digital.
Volume 6 is supposed to be published at the end of this month. Going to grab a digital copy when it becomes available. This series is from the same mangaka as GA 芸術科アートデザインクラス。

mega.nz/#F!BVADBAKK!Jx9EErWgIpMDuOOmQLEhwQ

Volumes are uploading. The above link is the folder directory for the series. It should update in real time as the files finish uploading.

How does the verb おとす work here?
Context from english version:
"Which would you rather do: try to persuade 30 squadron members or one woman?"
"The woman would be harder."
So what is おとす doing there? None of its listed meaning seem to fit the context.

To beat/to defeat/to drop down, that kind of thing

It's essentially referring to the まるめこむ: It'd be more difficult to land the girl.

今日は二日酔いです
しないといけない
you should do
じゃ means では in Tokyo dialect
その「で」は「だ」の連用形とい考え方もあるが、通常は格助詞とする
ただし、いずれも古語では「にて」だ
にては→では
>「走てない」and 「走るじゃない」?
そんな日本語はない
走るんじゃない←→走るのではない

Oh crap!
There it was hiding. Took me 4 freaking tries to locate it.

陥落させる
誘惑してその気にさせる
強く迫って相手を自分の思い通りにする
熱心に説得して相手を従わせる

という感じ