Newfag here who just discovered the Sup Forums wiki and decided to listen through one of the lists of Sup Forums...

Newfag here who just discovered the Sup Forums wiki and decided to listen through one of the lists of Sup Forums essentials.

Do y'all genuinely enjoy this album, or is it all memes? Cause I can't figure out for the life of me why it's so highly rated, even though I did enjoy it.

Other urls found in this thread:

proudember.bandcamp.com/releases
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It's really genuinely quite good, something that anyone can find something to like about. It doesn't hurt that the bandwagon meme is fun, too

This

Suppose that makes sense. If nothing else I enjoyed how it swings between the typical indie strumming and a more heavily distorted sound.

The lyrics are just a little too obtuse for my liking, though.

Also, hate to bump this, but just one more question regarding the meme.

The primary joke is that the lead guy wants to fuck Anne Frank, right? Or am I misinterpreting things?

>they can't get into the transcendental layer of NMH and think it's just a good album that's also a meme

Genuinely feel bad for you guys, and I'm not even joking. This album is the essential mu album because even those who don't get it still can enjoy it.

Do it's just good. DOn't think too hard about it.

Nice lyrics on Oh Comely.

Hey, I ain't knockin' it. I'm usually all for works that rely on heavy metaphor and literary references and leave things up to the viewer. I'm still gonna give it another listen, and I still enjoyed the album, but the first go around just had me scratching my head thinking "this is what all the shitposts are about?"

Once again my post proves true.
>joke
>fuck
Nah, you def get it bruh it's a spicy meme XD

Yes. A lot of the tracks allude to either sex, love, or Anne Frank so people put 2 and 2 together. Also there's a few weird things in his personal life like how both his sister and his wife kinda look like Anne Frank.

Makes sense. Thanks for the confirmation.

Np dude. Even though this guy is probably memeing, it is more than just a well done quirky folk album.

I'm not joking at all. Theres something deeper to ITAOTS that most people on mu don't seem to understand (although some do obviously).

Could you give your take on it? I'm interested in hearing something beyond the stuff I've been able to get through googling.

I just said
>it is more than just a well done quirky folk album
also
>Could you give your take on it?
this

Well I'm more talking about what your take on the nature of the deeper material is. Like any story or thematics you've found in it.

That's the thing. It's like Wittgenstein's writings on indescribable truth. Or how the Tao cannot be spoken of.
If you don't get it, someone describing it isn't going to help. That's not to say the feeling can't be found in other albums.

All I'm saying is, if you criticize any of my other favorite albums, I'll probably get fairly annoyed. But ITAOTS's worth is like something that's objectively true to me. Even now, I'm not defending the album's songwriting, just it's interpretation.

I'm not I'm

Fair point. Maybe I'll just give it a few more listens and try to come to my own conclusions.

Thanks for the friendly responses anyways.

>I'm totally absolutely not joking at all here, guys

Like I said. If you feel this wayabout any album (or even film/book for that matter) you'd understand the what I'm trying to get at.

Although I understand that I'm probably coming across as pretty daft, and may even show up in a cringe thread.

it only gets memed because of its popularity

It's actually about a fake person who is very similar to Anne Frank. Her name is Rose Wallace Goldaline. He references her directly in several songs on Aeroplane and Ferris Wheel.

Whatever it is, the album clearly is about far more than Anne Frank. King of Carrot Flowers pt. 1 has lyrics about Jeff's parents.

I wrote this ep and its about fucking Anne Frank proudember.bandcamp.com/releases

From the Narrator's POV, only the dad is related. He specifically says 'YOUR mom would stick a fork right into daddy's shoulder'.

This is pretty good but nothing about Anne Frank as far as I can tell.

You should think about making an album with less irony (proper song capitalization, different description). You could make a pretty good full length EP.
Because he may be speaking to himself. In this case, "what eachothers bodies are for" very well may be about him masturbating.

asking whether or not it's good is very subjective

I can't speak for this guy but for me the album didn't hit me right away. I listened to it for the same reason you did and I thought it was pretty good. I liked indie folk to begin with so it was a natural fit.

However something kept bringing me back to it. Over time I found myself enamored with absolutely everything. I didn't want to skip a single track and the continuity of the whole album is seamless. It's really greater than the sum of its parts.

It's not for everyone and I've shown it to a couple of people but it is lightning in a bottle for the rest of us. It's genius exists in a vacuum.

This.

I think that's a logical inconstancy with how much he says 'your' in the song, along with the other things he says. You're stretching it.

My point is around the fact that, according to one of Jeff's friends, his mother actually stabbed a fork into his dad's shoulder at one point when they were younger. So him saying "your mom" when it was actually his mom makes it either incestal or self addressing.

It's entirely possible he used that event as inspiration for a fictional song

This.

It's not a joke it is literally a masterpiece.

>Do y'all genuinely enjoy this album, or is it all memes?
fuck off dumbass

this