Doctor Who General - /who/

Love and Monsters 10 years later edition

What does /who/ think about one of the worst stories of Nuwho and how has it changed over 10 years

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0ZWGeidvrJw
youtube.com/watch?v=unORPOtavqM
a.pomf.cat/nymxww.zip
bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/1VX81wVBfJzQVmX1NTTkFwc/the-ultimate-doctor-who-fan-quiz-part-2-classic-who
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Bump

It's overblown, it's just a slice of life episode with a really goofy portrayal of a creepy monster idea, in other words an average Rusty episode.

>one of the worst stories

speak for yourself pleb

I honestly enjoy it until takes a sudden head first leap into the toilet at the point of the abzorbaloff reveal. The final coda is nice though.

youtube.com/watch?v=0ZWGeidvrJw

What the fuck were they thinking? Even the kid who designed the monster hated it.

There's something about that ending that really really really pisses me off, it's been 10 years so I can't remember that reason. Maybe other people felt that way as well and that's why it's one of the worst episodes. What is it?

It doesn't work for me, because they want me to laugh at something that isn't funny at all. I don't understand how is this passing for comedy.

I mean, it's probably black comedy, but somehow it isn't funny. They made a lot of effort to have me empathize with characters and then turned them into a piece of alien ass. Does Rusty think this is a fate fitting a Doctor Who fan?

The chicks get transformed into this and the guy says "We still have a love life" wink wink

youtube.com/watch?v=unORPOtavqM

Agreed 100%. It's like Moffat wanted to just get the Gallifrey bit over with so he could get to his precious sooper speshial companion piece.

Jesus Christ, now I remember it.

What does she eat? Does she breathe? How does her jaw function for her to speak if the hinge doesn't exist. Where does all of Elton's cum go when she swallows? Can she swallow? How long before she was begging for release from this hellish existence? How long will she live? Is she immortal? Does the Doctor know the answer to any of these questions? Does he even give a shit?

RTD said on the Toby Hadoke podcast that he talked to a young fan on the phone who said "Last weeks episode was rubbish" referring to L&M.

I loved that episode when I first saw it. The concept is cool, but it really goes to utter shit in the last 5-10 minutes when the guy become this ugly monster.

>Does Rusty think this is a fate fitting a Doctor Who fan?

This is what will happen:

>Series 10 ends with a rip-off of Journey's End. All the Moffat era characters return to help 12 face off against Davros.

>The episode ends with Davros' prophecy being fulfilled, The Doctor shows him compassion, ultimately ending in a regeneration.

>Series 11. The new Doctor's debut proves a huge success. Everyone loves the new bonkers, fun Chibnall era. The Doctor is back to his wacky self and is more akin to Smith and Tennant. There are two new companions. A hot 20-something year old from the far future, and a contemporary Earth man who is gay and sassy.

>Series 12, Chibnall decides to do a 'darker' series. The ratings flop again. The BBC are considering scrapping the show.

>Series 12 is universally panned for being too edgy and dark. The gay companion dies in episode 2. But one episode stands out. Episode 6. It's described as "the best episode since Genesis of the Daleks". And it's written by Gareth Roberts.

>Series 13. Chibnall has been sacked and the Gareth Roberts era has begun. No liberal agendas are being pushed, and each episode gets 12 million viewers at worst. The series is a global success, and wins BAFTAs left right and centre. Roberts is hailed as the savior of Doctor Who, and even makes a cameo appearance in several episodes to the delight of the fans.

>Series 14. Gareth Roberts casts himself as The Doctor, and after just one episode is voted #1 Doctor, above Tom Baker and Andrew Garfield.

>Doctor Who is saved.

>All the Moffat era characters return
And dropped, Amy and Rory will literally never ever return because their actors are done with it sadly.

They've both said they'd be willing to come back. They won't be back because Moffat isn't going to pull a Journey's End.

Well, Moffat said "The Master" wasn't going to come back so maybe there's still hope, right? Moffat lies all the time.

Moffat didn't say he wasn't bringing anyone back. It's just not his style to do it the way RTD did. He has his own brand of clusterfuck.

>implying its hard to beat Andrew Garfield

>All the Moffat era characters return

But Moffat doesn't like bringing back past companions

Amy already came back once, that was enough

Then why is he bringing Clara again?

He isn't.

This is a funny scene because it features heavy Christian imaginary but angels are actually serving the villain. Thus Doctor is actually an atheistic figure here and this entire scene is a reference to an infamous incident when Richard Dawkins adcended to heaven and called God a loser on national television.

Reminder that filming finally starts 1 week from now.

Are you serious
I can't find it
Why do I remember sources that never happened? Am I going mad?

>Amy already came back once,
When?

I was gonna suggest we troll GB again with fake stuff but then i remembered they closed the spoiler thread because of Girly Letters. kek.

>Even the kid who designed the monster hated it.
Source?

Time of the Doctor

WHEN THE 11TH DOCTOR REGENERATED.
IN TIME OF THE DOCTOR.
DO YOU NOT REMEMBER?

You mean the recent thing where Capaldi said she was coming back? That was all clickbait and quotes from a panel convention taken heavily out of context.

There's still threads for individual spoilers, afaik, we could make one of those when the time is right

You probably saw a click bait headline about some comments Capaldi made at a convention appearance.

No. There's rumors that 12 and Clara might show up together in Class, but that will be a pre-Raven thing for them, if it happens at all.

That was a hallucination though
not the actual character

Everything leading up to the absorbaloff was comfy as fuck. LINDA deserved better.

Hello /who/
I asked yesterday, but does someone here have a good link to get Big Finish scripts ?
I've searched but found nothing.
Year of the Pig would be really appreciated.
I need them for a translation project helping foreign fans to get into BF stories.

If someone actually satisfies my request I could put a subtle /who/ meme in my translation if they desire.

Oh.

>12 and Clara might show up together in Class
Pretty sure Jenna was busy filming the Victoria drama and I think Capaldi already filmed the Class cameo since the Tardis was seen on set awhile back.

run bluthe run

There used to be a website that had transcripts. Not sure if its still alive. Will try and find it.

And that was enough

what episode is this?

a.pomf.cat/nymxww.zip

I tried it, it's dead.
But using the wayback machine I'm scrolling through the deleted pages right now, I might find it.

Fuck, just seen You're amazing user, I'm downloading right now. Do you want some subtle nods to anything you like in the future translations ?

voyage of the damned

Just say "I don't want the character to come back because i don't like him/her" instead of wasting my time user

So John Barrowman is doing something in Cardiff. Any chance he's returning to the show for the Christmas Special or was it all clickbait?

I think it was for Big Finish.

He's doing your mom

Subtle nods?

Big Finish isn't located in Cardiff, they're in London.

Why would a homosexual fuck an urn full of ashes?

I do like Amy you over sensitive nincompoop

Doesn't mean it would be a good idea to drag her back, she had a definitive ending to her story

I think they have a studio in Cardiff.

bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/1VX81wVBfJzQVmX1NTTkFwc/the-ultimate-doctor-who-fan-quiz-part-2-classic-who

Put your money where your mouth is /who/

I don't know, if you desire some kind of in-joke put in the translation I can manage to slip it in as a tribute.

Same here, but for me it's about Clara. Bill needs some time to establish herself, so I don't even want nods to Clara for a while (even tho Clara is best girl).

This. What you'd have to worry about if if Matt mistook it for cocaine.

There were nods to all the companions after they left. Even poor old Martha.

If we're going by Moffat's track record Amy got mentions in Series 7b, series 8 and series 9.

This may be an unpopular opinion, specially here at the Dr.Who main thread:

I don't get the point of Dr.Who (at least the "modern" seasons"). In most of the episodes I've seen, the writers just seem eager to write fantasy/ science fantasy stories but they all have to have the Doctor in them of course and I feel like they'd be better off just doing short stories.

Then the even fewer episodes I've seen with what I guess is main plot just seem so bloated with stupid "clever" phrases and "meaningful" moments that just honestly makes me notice the wackiness of the setups even more because they are trying to take them so seriously.

Also what the fuck is with the hot women companions, why does this guy actively seak women to go with him?

Keep in mind my knowledge about this is just surface level, but I wanted to share that.

Ten years of fetishes.

> why does this guy actively seak women to go with him?
He needs a companion to help restrain him from causing another genocide.

Tom has a cricket ball in his pocket in The Ark in Space so this quiz can fuck off.

>Bill needs some time to establish herself
I think she's in a good position to, better than most have

There was a special between her debut and the previous companion's last appearance, she had a high profile announcement, and by the time Series 10 airs people will just be happy the show is back

A few nods wouldn't make much difference to all that if they even happen

>Keep in mind my knowledge about this is just surface level, but I wanted to share that.
>FUCK OFF OBVIOUS TROLL

and to freshen his cock

>I think she's in a good position to, better than most have
Explain this statement. It genuinely sounds like total crap.

>Also what the fuck is with the hot women companions, why does this guy actively seak women to go with him?
You mean you wouldn't seek sexy women companions? Are you gay?

Talking in terms of NuWho

Martha followed ultra popular Rose, the first companion for a lot of viewers at the time, after a special in which the Doctor was moping about Rose

Donna wasn't well received after her first appearance and also was known for her sketch comedy more than as an actress

Amy was part of the unproven all new revamp that was following ultra popular Tennant so there wasn't an established Doctor to rely on

Clara followed the Ponds who were also popular, and debuted in a half series during the 50th year when all anybody was really interested in was who was coming back for the anniversary

Not saying Bill won't have some challenges, she just seems to have a few more things working in her favor

>she just seems to have a few more things working in her favor
What things?

Moffat said in DWM that Bill is similar to Donna.
Fucking predictable.
It won't work. She'll just spout 'sassy' lines in every line of dialogue she has to the point of it becoming irritating. At least Donna had a tragedy and was fleshed out.
Bill will be a comedy character.

Mentioned some in my first post

>Donna wasn't well received after her first appearance

That's why she came back because everybody loved her

Not what I heard, which is why they toned her down from The Runaway Bride

I doubt that she'll be just that, Moffat isn't that much of a hack.
I guess we'll see.

Too soon to call m8

No, I'm sorry but you didn't. Nothing you said there was clear at all.

OK

>Talking in terms of NuWho
>Martha followed ultra popular Rose, the first companion for a lot of viewers at the time, after a special in which the Doctor was moping about Rose
>Donna wasn't well received after her first appearance and also was known for her sketch comedy more than as an actress
>Amy was part of the unproven all new revamp that was following ultra popular Tennant so there wasn't an established Doctor to rely on
>Clara followed the Ponds who were also popular, and debuted in a half series during the 50th year when all anybody was really interested in was who was coming back for the anniversary
none of this is about Bill

>Bill will be a comedy character.
sassy urban gobshite

>At least Donna had a tragedy
wha?

Didn't say they were things about Bill

I was explaining why I said I thought she was in a better position than other companions to establish herself by elaborating on why I they might have been in worse positions

yeah - she was a loudmouthed, ignorant cunt who wanted to get hammered drunk all the time and marry a black guy with money.
Her Mother disliked her for good reason.

OK. Then I disagree. You haven't really made a case mate.

Marc Warren's best role was Private Blithe 2bh

>why does this guy actively seak women to go with him?

I like to think he doesn't have such a preference, I like to think it's mostly the women who are drawn to him.

>I feel like they'd be better off just doing short stories.
In a way i see we're your coming from and partly agree, I wouldn't mind of doctor who became more of a anthology show. It's like each episode has to balance the Doctor, the companion, the series arc and whatever each story is about is put to the back burner.

>rumors

Clala will be a picture on some kind of Coal Hill memorial thing. Doctor looks at pic with 'sad expression'. End of.

However, Clala will be back for Twelve's regeneration at the end of s11, I'd put money on it..

>I like to think he doesn't have such a preference
Explain why he preferred Amy to Rory then despite Rory being a much better person.

I can't, that'sMoffat

Why was he often more inclined to listen to Barbara than Ian?

Why did he treat Harry worse than Sarah despite Harry being a good guy who was actually useful?

Why did he like to take the piss out of Rose's boyfriend Mickey?