You have 5 seconds to name a flaw in this album

You have 5 seconds to name a flaw in this album.

It sucks

It's not sandinista

>tfw it's actually the peak of new wave
Holy shit

I agree, it's flawless

The Band was flawless their albums not

it's not their s/t

These guys were considered legendary poseurs at the time, in fact Cock Sparrer wrote numerous songs about the Clash like 'Where are they now?" and "Take 'Em All (put 'em up against the wall and shoot 'em)".

John Lydon and the Damned also routinely took the piss out of the Clash for being commie phonies who grabbed money and abandoned their 'revolution'. Anyway, that was the band the music is of course totally different from the people.

>John Lydon
>taking the piss out of anyone for being "phony"
l m a o

The Damned are the shit and so are the clash but John Lydon calling anyone a phony is hilarious

Its length

Only correct answer.
Also Koka Kola was too short.

Lover's Rock isn't great.

Lydon was at least honest about being in a phony band and still is. Jello Biafra also tore the shit out of the Clash for being absolute phonies and wannabe rockstars. They also disavowed all their early music when they became a pop band because of all the problems they had at live gigs with people showing up to fuck with them which is typically what happens when you claim to be the 'voice of the revolution' then sell out immediately like they did. Anyway, who cares in 2017

Seconded. Card Cheat and Four Horsemen are just okay also.

The Card Cheat is actually my favorite song on the album.

be honest...look at this pic and tell me they don't look a tad stoopid

they're just a little goony that's all. dumb english goonies with a bit of balls

>Jello Biafra
Who gives a shit, The Dead Kennedys are a terrible band.

some songs at the back end are not that good

I love 'em.

Strummer isn't even English, He's a turk.

Lacking a great closer

The only good thing to come from this band of posers was M.I.A.'s Paper Planes sampling like 5 seconds of one of their less shitty songs

The Clash blows .Levi's Strauss cock, that is

Lydon please leave.

Anybody from around that period remembers them as a total joke who told all their old fans to fuck off when their pop records were released after claiming with no irony they were 'the voice of the revolution'. It was like Rage Against the Machine but even more transparently phony and manufactured. They were good songwriters, but wearing their merch as some activist virtue signaling or believing they were anything but a pop band is pretty gay. As pop music, they were good.

not new wave

the four horsemen demo on the deluxe version is tight as fuck

>told all their old fans to fuck off when their pop records were released after claiming with no irony they were 'the voice of the revolution'
This never happened though.

they ripped off paper planes by MIA

>Cock Sparrer
Literally who

The Clash were extremely popular and highly respected by contemporaries when LC was released and even before, only butthurt punk bands with no success or acclaim were annoyed by huge popularity of The Clash, and their apparent "selling out" by signing to CBS. Thankfully none of those bands are relevant now, whereas The Clash are still immensely commercially and critically claimed to this day.

Many punk bands at the time were also unable to fathom how another originally punk band could actually change their style and evolve their sound over time to reach greater musical heights than the same 3 chords played repeatedly.

If I had to pick one, it would be that it starts better than it finishes. The ending has a couple of arguably weak points, like Lover's Rock. That said, Train In Vain is obviously superb and the album as a whole is an easy 10/10 for me.

>pop music
So by that you mean Should I Stay and Rock The Casbah. What else of theirs is pop? Everyone knows they sold out when they became a stadium band and released those two songs, even the band themselves. It's one of the reasons they split.

Look at what came before that, especially Sandinista. That's practically anti-pop

It's punk rock

more like it's not punk rock

I hope you aren't implying that Rock The Casbah isn't a great song.

Meh, it's quite good. But if I had to list my top 50 Clash songs it would probably only just sneak in.

F I L L E R
I
L
L
E
R

History says otherwise. All of 1980 and 1981, The Clash toured constantly in America but never in Britain. During their time away, the riots raged in Liverpool, London, Manchester and Bradford. They were hated for shiling the revolution but being deserters which is why when they returned nobody would have anything to do with them and derided them mercilessly for being failed rebels and poseurs getting photographed with movie stars and shit while london burned to the ground.

Result of this was in early 1982 nobody bought tickets for their shows in London and Strummer actually fled the country to Paris on advice of Bernie Rhodes so they could find a honorable way to cancel all the gigs without being seen as a laughing stock (plus owing too much money to promoters). After that they were essentially finished.

Good musicians but total poseurs in the "revolution" they very much hard shilled in the media to boost their popularity but it backfired

>Jello Biafra
fuck what a stupid name

Their junky drummer they threatened to kick out for being a junky composed the song by himself in a few hours one day in hopes of staying with the band. Rhodes hated it, Strummer thought to release it as a comedy single and see what would happen

Does this have anything to do with it being a good song?

London's calling, and they're calling you gay

It's a post-punk classic, I remember when I listened to this album almost every day, heard it over 100 times

Haven't listened to in years but even when I loved it as my favorite album of all time, the obvious flaw was Lover's Rock/Revolution Rock (and Four Horsemen isn't that good either but it at least can fit with the other tracks on the album and not be offensive)

The Card Cheat is the best track btw

>Card Cheat
>just okay
Please commit suicide

>Revolution Rock
>a flaw
m8 i think you need to stop being a pleb

Crass already hated The Clash before London Calling was released and called them sellouts

It just doesn't compare to the best stuff on the album

>Among the Greatest Songs of All Time Tier
London Calling
The Card Cheat
>Better than Most Songs By Any Band Tier
Brand New Cadillac
Jimmy Jazz
Hateful
Rudie Can't Fail
Spanish Bombs
The Right Profile
Lost in the Supermarket
Clampdown
The Guns of Brixton
Wrong 'em Boyo
Death or Glory
Koka Kola
I'm Not Down
Train in Vain
>About the Quality of any random garage band Tier
Four Horsemen
Revolution Rock
>Jesus Christ, why release this? Tier
Lover's Rock

Nobody would've labelled them sellouts if The Clash wasn't calling out every single band in the UK at the time for being "profit motivated" and denouncing literally everybody in the scene.

Then as London was actually on fire they were in New York with clothing designers and actors getting their photos taken at luxury parties. When the British tabloids printed those photos everybody in the UK essentially burned their Clash records but they were still popular in the US just they made the mistake of going back to England and getting humiliated

Personally my list of best songs on the album would be

Brand New Cadillac
Hateful
The Right Profile
The Card Cheat
Revolution Rock
Train In Vain

I guess that's okay, I don't understand why you love Revolution Rock that much but fair enough, if we went with my favorite cover they ever did though, it would obviously be Police on My Back (Eddy Grant is a highly underrated songwriter)

The Clash were one of the only punks bands that thought violence wasn't the answer

other punk bands were preaching unrest and discord as a means of coping with the shitty struggle of daily life in England

you can hear this in The Guns of Brixton where they paint a picture of a harsh authoritative status quo squashing down rebels during a riot or anyone that didn't fit the establishment like immigrants

while other punks will yell about fighting back with more violence (and foreigners), the Clash used the violence as a warning to its listeners and for everyone to get along

they were not the extreme pre-teen edgy autistics like the Sex Pistols and the Damned but rather a band who used music to express them feels

good album nevertheless

This is complete nonsense. My dad lived in London during the late 70s punk period, was a huge fan of The Clash at the time and remains one to this day. You sound like you're just repeating the bitter rantings of bands that never made it big.

>I don't understand why you love Revolution Rock that much
I like how the song is simultaneously catchy and yet so loose. It feels like the band just playing around and having fun, and the enjoyment is infectious.

>name a flaw in this album.
I've never listened to it because The Clash are overrated.

Train in Vain is the best song on the album though

Can't it's one of the few albums I love every song and it's a double so go figure . It has so many kinds of songs , always reminded me of a punk white album

This is in every clash documentary nobody in uk bought tickets to see them after the 80-81 us tour and they permanently moved to NY and broke up shortly thereafter

A quick Youtube search brings up footage from a large number of European shows in 1981, so what are you talking about exactly?

Not genetically

Lost in the Supermarket and Lover's Rock

He grew up in England as well. He was only born in Turkey because his dad worked there for a while.

Pete what ya' doin' there?

The flaw is Revolution Rock. Even if it was shorter the album would be better off, but probably better to remove it all together.
Best song is The Right Profile, here is my favourite moment on the album

>Go out and get me my old movie stills
>Somebody get me another roll of pills
>There I go shaking, I ain't got the chills
>Abuh bu juh shuh bluuhhhh!

>Lost in the Supermarket
Fuck off you worthless cunt

It doesn't have Bank Robber on it

>The Jam fans are still damage controlling this hard

it's honestly one of the most boring albums ive ever listened to. might have shit taste but whatever

>It's a post-punk classic
>post-punk

Blasting Train In Vain as we speak, sod my flatmates, absolute fucking tune

I also put the album on after seeing this thread, and when it got to Train I started singing out loud. housemate behind me didn't seem to care though, it's not a rare occurrence for me to break into singing, air drumming, air guitar when the music hits me

The Jam >>>>>>>The Clash

As a die hard Cock Sparrer fan for life it never occurred to me that Take 'em All was about The Clash but it certainly fits them. It could be about any band who used punk as a stepping stone to fame and fortune while forgetting the fans who put them there.

Where Are They Now definitely makes reference to The Clash in one verse but there are references to other people who let the fans down like Jimmy Pursey of Sham 69.

Funny you should mention John Lydon since he and Joe Strummer were actually friends. (Even though he HATED The Clash)

Another good song that knocks The Clash (And Sex Pistols) off of their pedestals is "Rotten to The Core" by Rudimentary Peni!

>You must realize that rock stars always seem to lie so much!

>Joe Strummer once said he cared but he never really gave a fuck..........

Anyway IMHO you don't need any Clash records after Give 'em Enough Rope!

brit fags that cannot pronounce "London" properly.

its english

The Punk and the Godfather