Is there any other developed nation of comparable size that has produced less noteworthy musicians than Australia?

Is there any other developed nation of comparable size that has produced less noteworthy musicians than Australia?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=h2SMuyOeWLA
youtube.com/watch?v=gca24W9xwPY
youtube.com/watch?v=mwCOFaYXRyk
youtube.com/watch?v=AjyyoAeHPzU
youtube.com/watch?v=OcKcjpSWmm0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Nick Cave on a bad day is better then your favourite rapper on a good one

Probably not.

Just compare them to the UK for example. Even despite a lower population, they produce absolutely fuck all in terms of great music compared to Britain does per person.

Spain for one

Australia at least have:
AC/DC
The Avalanches
Nick Cave and his bands
Dead Can Dance
Disembowelment
Tame Impala
Daevid Allen
The Go-Betweens
The Saints
Radio Birdman
Foetus
The Dirty Three
The Triffids
The Church
SPA

But Nick Cave IS my favourite rapper

The Basque Country in Spain has quite a lot of good music. Not sure if I could name as much as you have here for Australia but then I haven't heard of most of those either.

Canada.
I mean, they have Neil Young, Grimes, Mac deMarco, and...that's it.

it's probably hard to tour australia due to the major cities all being really fucking far apart

I COME FROM A LAND DOWN UNDA BWOWWOWOBNWBWAWWEW

youtube.com/watch?v=h2SMuyOeWLA

>Rush

>who is leonard cohen

a dead guy

King Gizzard
Paul Kelly
C. W. Stoneking
Eddy Current Suppression Ring
The Middle East
The Murlocs
Pond

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard, one of the premier "what if we tried this" bands doing interesting shit with music right now

Clowns, one of the best live punk acts in the world right now to the point that Adolescents took them on tour in Europe

The Smith Street Band, a top notch songwriter backed by a top notch band playing honest, emotional music around the world

The Cosmic Psychos, who had a huge and important role in inspiring the Seattle grunge scene in the 90s, giving rise to Nirvana/Pearl Jam etc.

Other Australian acts tearing it up right now: The Bennies, the Avalanches, Tash Sultana, Hilltop Hoods, Sticky Fingers, Violent Soho, Dune Rats, Camp Cope, Gooch Palms, Kill Dirty Youth.
(mostly I know about punk rock, fellow Aussies can help me out with the other stuff)

You just don't hear about it so much because touring is expensive and Australia is isolated. The internet exists, sure but you really gotta go looking, whereas touring can drum up heaps of interest in a short space of time.

A majority of that is Triple J trash, Dune Rats, Sticky Fingers and Violent Soho are garbage

>comparable size
Do you realise how few people live in Australia? Take a mental note next time you hear the next big hit from Madagascar or Yemen.

Dune Rats are pretty good desu, Violent Soho have released good stuff in the past. Don't have much time for Sticky Fingers though.

I don't really think of things in terms of JJJ, I don't listen to the radio, although in the "other" list I included some that are popular but I don't really care for.
And step off Dune Rats, my man, fucking fight me. Bullshit is a stone cold classic of punk rock

>Dune Rats are pretty good
DUDE WEED LMAO: the band

wow there are a fuckload of people living in madagascar

who'da thunkit

The Necks.

There's literally nothing wrong with that.

Andorra? Monaco? Liechtenstein? Luxembourg?

There's a lot of things wrong with that, trust me, dune rats fans are the most insufferable bunch of degenerates imaginable

>comparable size
My bad.

>The fans have anything to do with the music
Get this fucking hot heAD OUTTA HERE

South Africa

>Dune Rats
>punk classic

lol

Here is some actual good Australian punk

youtube.com/watch?v=gca24W9xwPY

well, If you only listen to the youtube videos, sure.

Their entire image is based upon marijuana

>GY!BE

Leather Towel and Ausmuteants are tops

youtube.com/watch?v=mwCOFaYXRyk

Anyone hitting the Descendents gig in Melbourne?

>The Weeknd
>Drake
>Justin Bieber
>Shawn Mendes

>literally half of today's top 40

it's hoenstly depressing how many shitty artists have come out of australia

all the shit pushed on us by triple j that is actual tripe but it's on the radio so it must be good mentality sets in

Yeah if you don't grow out of your Triple J phase by around 14 you're a moron. There are some great acts out there though.

Physical size is not really a good thing to go off. Considering our small population we are pretty good. NZ in the 80's was fucking mental tho

>Arcade Fire
>The Band
>Death From Above 1979
>Godspeed You! Black Emperor
>Japandroids
>Men Without Hats (I honestly thought they were from the UK for the longest time)
>Steppenwolf
>Strapping Young Lad
>Tim Hecker
>Venetian Snares

youtube.com/watch?v=AjyyoAeHPzU

i don't think anyone else took size to mean physical area
in terms of population, for a first world, english speaking country our musicians are pretty poor

Aus has a miniscule population for its size though

>comparable size

Do you know how small the population in Australia is? There are more people in California than there are in the entire country.

>The Smith Street Band
>Camp Cope
>good

kek, I bet you're from Melbourne

Dune Rats are degenerate stoner trash for edgelords in Thrasher shirts.

What first world English speaking countries, with a comparable size to Australia are you referring to then? This is a fuckin' narrow window to measure artistic mediocrity on a global scale.

Population wise you can either go up to 36 mil with Canada, or 59 mil with South Africa (vs. Aus 23 mil). Apart from that you're really only dealing with the US & UK on the high end and New Zealand on the low.

France (even though they produced the Bogda Bogda Bogdanoff's)

Midnight Oil
AccaDacca
Tame Impala
Men at Work
INXS
Powderfinger

Plenty of Hip Hop and country too

>Powderfinger

/thread

>australian hip hop

I wish they had shot Bliss n Eso and not the stunt man

Nah its just that 80% of Australia is uninhabited.

Two of the capital cities have less than 200k people living in it. Australia is fucking empty bro.

kek

Don't worry man, I wish the same.

What's more depressing is the amount of great Australian artists nobody bothers to look for or listen to, instead making ignorant threads such as these

>hanging out with people
>someone puts Bliss n Eso on

u got a problem with A.B. Original ya racist?

>tfw i know most of the lyrics to the bit Bliss n Eso songs
>tfw i have to join in reluctant singalongs on car trips with my mates to fit in
Australia really is hell

Of those 23 million 27% are immigrants, leaving you with 16 million possible good english speaking singers.
Compared with America that has 320 million, UK 65 million and Canada 36 million.

>All of those immigrants can't speak English
>People who can't speak English can't make good music
Jesus fucking CHRIST you're retarded. Sup Forums out desu

>Dead Can Dance
>Disembowelment
>Daevid Allen
>The Go-Betweens
>The Saints
>Radio Birdman
>The Dirty Three
>The Triffids
>The Church