Who is the best tennis player of all times and why is it Roger Federer?

who is the best tennis player of all times and why is it Roger Federer?

Other urls found in this thread:

nytimes.com/2006/08/20/sports/playmagazine/20federer.html?_r=0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Stop being a deluded faggot. His time is over. He was good only then.

roger federer

what's the point of this thread?

FedGOAT is the only non-bait answer

It is Federer, at least from the 21st century players as I didn't get to watch any before that. But he is probably better than the stars of the 60s, 70s and 80s too going by titles.

pete sampras

>best tennis player of all times

Roger Federer

but there is still time for Novak and Murry, especially for Novak (Nadal is better then all 3 combined, but that's life, injury is part of sport)

Tennis has come to an end. Just look at the current state of the sport. Old champions declining yet still defeating the tour with ease. #Nextgen is a joke. Court speed variation is non-existent.

We can close the book now. Roger Federer is the greatest tennis player of all time.

Federer is the GOAT. Nadal when healthy was godlike,but that happens rarely. Novak is also a beast

You mean when he is off the doped?

When Nadal beat Federer at the 2009 Aus open, I thought ok he's crying, he's done, he knows he'll never beat Sampras record, Nadal is gonna get there first. However, he then won the French and many more to reach 17. When Nadal got to 14, everybody was like ok it's done, he's gonna beat Federer record, he'll easily win a few French opens and maybe a few others. Since then he's done nothing. When Djokovic won the French, everybody was like, yeah he's unstoppable he'll win every single slam for the next 3 years and beat Fed's record. Since then he's choking. Tennis is freaking unpredictable.
Also, even though I'm Swiss, I don't think Fed is the goat, cause I've seen him too many times getting destroyed by Nadal. He even lost to him when the guy was 17. How can you be the goat when you're not even the best of your time? For me, Federer is just the Grand slam record holder. In 10 years we'll look back and if Djokovic doesn't beat the slam or the weeks at no1 record, then yeah, we can call Fed the goat, but the goat who was to weak for nadal.

who? Nadal? I don't know, even tho it is 21st century you still need to prove something before accusing people, for me, even tho I'm Serb, Nadal played best tennis of all times (when he was healthy), and if people who control doping say he is not using anything, I would like to live in a world where that still matters, but would like to know if that was actually true

Federer is the GOAT, although his time is up now. Novak and EBAM are better than him at the moment, although I doubt either of them will be able to top his legacy.

>Roger Federer as Religious Experience
>By DAVID FOSTER WALLACE AUG. 20, 2006
nytimes.com/2006/08/20/sports/playmagazine/20federer.html?_r=0

Stay deluded Fedora fanfags

M8 dont pretend that Murray is even close to be the GOAT. Only Brittish consider him to be good. He was always stomped and bully by the big 3(Feder,Nadal and Novak) and is winning right now due the inconsistency and the other players getting old

If I had to rank the best British player's of all time you can be sure to find Andy Murray below Tim Henman.

Have to agree with this. Tiger Tim was unlucky to have overlapped careers with Pete Sampras, otherwise he would have been three time wimbledon champion minimum

>"Federer is the GOAT"
>Nadal and Djokovic come along and Federer stops winning
>"h-he's old now guys"

Nadal's prime was short as fuck and Djocovic has problems focusing. Federer has consistently being the best

Prime Gustavo Kuerten, obviously.

Yeah, we only called him old because he stopped winning. It wasn't because he literally was old based on historical precedent in tennis. Check how many slams have been won after the age of 29/30 in open era history.

Nadal was so close to.. a shame what happened

Marin Čilić will win the US Open 2016

Cap this

Please no, 2014 was a joke.

Stan got this

Roger without a doudt. It's not only the accomplishments, novak may very well surpass him. It's the way he plays, he is an artist, so much class.

>It's the way he plays, he is an artist, so much class.
Totally irrelevant m8. That is not how you determine who is the GOAT.

its how mongs do it and is the entire basis behind people calling Messi the football GOAT

I think it's how you define greatness. For example, in my eyes cristiano ronaldo will never be greater than zidane, no matter what he achieves in his career.

Roger Federer

Nadal > Djokovic

i admittedly rarely watch tennis, but i thought federer was GOAT and no one was really even close?

>GOAT
>getting dominated by all of his big rivals

He was so lucky to rack up all these Grand Slams between 2003 and 2007 without any competetion.

Djoker will pass him, he got at least 3 good years left in him

Nah m8. Nadal pimp slaping him when he was like 19. If you go purely by prime periods Nadal was probably the best. Novak is arguably better than Federer at his prime too.

He won't pass him considering quality of competition

What quality? He probably has the easiest competition in the last fifteen years

>Federer dead
>Nadal JUST
>Djokovic in decline

Murray takes the next ~5 Slams and from then on it's all Kyrgoat.

Come on m8, he's been injured for a while now but a healthy Djoker will steamroll everyone but Murray.

Even US Open he'll make at least the semi's.

do you not understand what "of all time" means? no shit he's past his prime, are we going to say that michael jordan isn't the best basketball player of all time or that michael phelps isn't the most accomplished olympian of all time because they've retired?

A goat always has a weakness, Nadal got owned by Davydenko.
Djokovic will eventually start getting owned by someone, thats almost guaranteed.

>Murray takes the next ~5 Slams
Doubt it. He is not nearly as good as britbongs want you to believe. Djoko will win one of those 5 for sure

Yeah, he should've thrown a few slams so that his competition looked tougher on paper to satisfy retards like you. Destroying everyone so bad that you have no competition is literally the definition of GOAT.

Literally what I'm saying, Dolma for brains

Yeah, ever wondered why he's gotten those injuries? He's getting old and it's not going to get any better. He will continue to lose to inspired players and not steamroll everybody like he was able to do in 2015. Djokovic won't surpass Nadal and Sampras's 14 Slams.

>People actually think DWL is over
If only

Djoko might snag a cheeky AO

also scratch part of this post, actually had no idea federer still played, weird

point is his prime is what matters

Leave England's Brave Andy Murray alone you monster

Daily reminder that Roland Garros is a meme Slam for yuropoors who can't afford hardcourts and thus have to use crushed bricks as a playing surface.

>yfw Djokovic wins the USO despite his bad form

fuck off with this meme the guy is ded

The irony

Wtf, best court by far

You're an absolute retard. Fed is 6 years older and he JUST made it to Slam final.

Djoker will win 3 slams MINIMUM before he retires.

Fuck no. Djokovic won't drop a set to victory

3 Slams absolute max

Definitely won't win them in a row or even within the next 12 months, or even the next 24 months

>this guy again

just kys already

who will win the next 12 slams then?

i'll give murray maybe 4

John Mcenroe, because who wants to watch tennis for a well played game.

Fuck that umpire!

Potential winners aside from Djokovic:

Murray, Thiem, Federer (if he can come back healthy), Nadal, Raonic, Cilic

Completely lost my faith in Wawrinka. Kyrgios is a guy who has crazy potential but whose head is in the wrong place right now. He's only 21 though, so only time will tell if he'll ever fulfill his potential.

Don't forget Dustin Brown who holds a positive record against Nadal (2-0)

Forgot Del Potro

Davidenko? That was only when Nadal was midtier in Hard court. Djokovic was the real opponent all the time. Without him, Nadal would have won more than 17 GS easily. Both are goat, btw.

It's to early to say Novak is choking.

He chose the worst time for his comeback though. If only he had done this at a slam.

Fuck off with the memes Pedro.

Rojer is GOAT.

Djokovic will pass fed in slams.

Why do Spanish posters on Sup Forums instantly assume that because you're discrediting one player you must be implying that a British player is better? Are you really this stupid?

Federer (the GOAT)
>most Slams
>most weeks at world #1

Nadull
>only good when on cycle (otherwise always injured or shit)
>crushed brick court babby

Djokovic
>weak era statpadder
>roiding since 2011

You forgot my son

>Implying that Nadal's/Djoko's generation isn't the most competitive ever
Federer was #1 when the competition was slim

Federer has won 3 finals out of 12 against actually good players

What was the competition like in 2015 when Djokovic dominated? Nonexistant. Old man Federer was Djokovic's only threat.

What about in 2010 when Rafa won 3 Slams? Djokovic had no serve and no top 10 win until the US Open. Fed was shit after AO. Nadal faced fucking Berdych in the Wimby final.

>Cherrypicking 2 years
Federer was on top so much because until Nadal came no one came close to his level. And a young Nadal at 17 was alredy giving him trouble.

Nadal was a teenage prodigy and his prime was in 2008. Coincidentally Federer had the mono in the beginning of that year which set him on a decline. He still won 5 Slams after that and regained his number 1 ranking in 2009 and again in 2012, amidst Djokovic's peak and Nadal's prime. Fed was literally match point away from getting a non calendar year Grand Slam in 2009-2010. Pretty impressive.

>tfw raonic didn't go
YOU COST US A MEDAL

>roger federer
>not ma long

I think you look at all surfaces, best overall in the last say, 25 years, when the equipment and training has been more or less the same.

Nadal is out - too much of a single surface clay babby overall (yes I know he won the other 3 Slams, I'm talking overall career).

Agassi is out, got owned by Pete in too many slams. Great late career, though.

McEnroe - never got the French and Lendl destroyed his confidence and drive.

Lendl - LOL no.

Pete - never got over at the French but was maybe the GOAT 1A on grass/hard behind Fed.

Nole - could become GOAT but god what a boring world that would be to live in.

Which leaves Fed, who for the moment is GOAT and will be until someone gets to 18.

was raonic actually good enough to get the gold?

mad that your precious neighbor homeboy Borg never got close to being GOAT?

>Cmd+F "rod laver"
>Phrase not found

Fed is the GOAT modern player, no question. But no one seems to be going past the 1970s in debating, though.
Look, Rod Laver is probably the GOAT old-time tennis player. This debate is like Babe Ruth vs. Barry Bonds (inb4 >boreball, and it's Bonds btw) as to who's better. One (Rod Laver/Babe Ruth) has the old-time dominance and huge influence on today's game, while the other (Federer/Bonds) has been pretty much a freight train in murdering his opponents in every facet of the game and keeping it up for a very long time.
I'd add championships as a common factor, too, but Bonds has 0 World Series rings to Fed's 17 majors and career Grand Slam.

>will be until someone gets to 18.
I think even if someone gets to 18 he'll still be GOAT, seeing him play in his prime was pure sex.

I don't think you can compare the players of the 70's and before with modern players because the equipment is so different. It's NOT Ruth v Bonds, because they both had the same bat and the same ball to play with.

I started out playing with wooden rackets and T-2000's. Any other tennis oldfags will know what this means. The amount of power, pace and spin available in the new sticks (not to mention the head size) is light years ahead of what the Lavers and Rosewalls could even dream of.

Look at old Youtube vids of even the late 70's matches before graphite rackets came on the scene. It's like watching two grampas playing these days. No real comparison is possible.

>5 times shorter
>every point matters
>no weather delays
>no wishy washy "not muh surface" excuses
>no drama queens shaming the sport
How can court tennis compete?

roger federer hasn't got two olympic gold medals ;)

How many slams will he have when it's all said and done? Bearing in mind that one Olympic gold equals four slams.

>no TV coverage

>no Olympic singles gold
>the goat

AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

man fedfags are hilarious