I was around when this came out and I still don't get the hype. Modest Mouse, Interpol, White Stripes...

I was around when this came out and I still don't get the hype. Modest Mouse, Interpol, White Stripes, and Yeah Yeah Yeahs all shit on this but for some reason this is the one at the top of so many lists.

why do you still care after 16 years

I mean I guess it's because I'm a bitch

Because it was first

It's also undeniably great, every song is catchy as hell and well-written, it's not too long, and doesn't try too much. I got "it" from the first listen, it's pretty clear from the record and watching their performances why everyone lost their shit. The Strokes were the perfect package.

This

They weren't first by any stretch of the imagination, they were simply the best packaged and had the poppiest sound. I remember listening to top40 radio and Last Nite would come on after Avril Lavigne or some shit.

>Yeah Yeah Yeahs
lol no

I fucking LOVE YYYs but they were never as good as The Strokes at their peak.

Except this dumps on This Is It

yeah never got everybody obsession with the strokes.
maybe because im only 22 and are too young for that era.

did enjoy human sadness but everything else he makes is total miss from me

I mean compared to the ones you listed, they were the first to actually catch the eye of the general public

Kind of a combination of these two things. It's hard to imagine, but there was a time that rock music was pretty much just like, Radiohead and At the Drive In and Marylin Manson.

People were really just seeing how noisy/dark/edgy they could be.

Then the garage revival showed up--White Stripes, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, The Hives, The Vines, and of course The Strokes. And that brought in this whole kinda' revamped retro kinda' blase don't-give-a-shit kinda' cool that rock had been missing for a while.

And The Strokes weren't the first 00's garage revival band, but they were very early in the scene and exemplified all of its key attributes: sprezzatura, carefree cool, New York edge, and a lot of the hallmarks of style that would come to be associated with hipsters

I mean, it's hard to imagine now, but in 2001, wearing skinny black jeans and converse sneakers was a fucking STATEMENT. Everyone outside of NY was wearing bootcut faded jeans with big weathered leather boots at the time.

Julian Casablancas is the greatest songwriter of our time.

Fuck no it doesn't. I love their first three albums to death but no. Fever to Tell has way less interesting instrumentation going on, has a much simpler and comparatively boring sound to it altogether, and a couple of the songs, namely Black Tongue and Cold Light, while not bad by any means, are pretty weak compared to the rest of the album. Nick Zinner is a great guitarist but there's only so much one man can do.

ITI? is a much stronger debut and every song on it is fantastic.

I'm only a year older than you and I consider The Strokes to be one of my favorite bands.

>White Stripes, and Yeah Yeah Yeahs

stopped reading there. this album is great for what it is

>undeniably great
=I like whiny uninspired indie rock and so should everybody else

>whiny
Wut?

>Fever to Tell has way less interesting instrumentation going on, has a much simpler and comparatively boring sound to it altogether,
Bro what the fuck? It's like you're reviewing This Is It instead. Fever to Tell is MUCH more different sounding and interesting musically than This Is It. Very few albums ever have such a sameness to their songs. It's literally 2001 Ramones

>whiny
they weren't remotely whiny and their music wasn't personal or confessional in nature
>uninspired
maybe, but they never really claimed to be breaking down barriers
>indie rock
no

>The Strokes
>"whiny"

>"This Is It" repeatedly
Yeah, no.

Stop posting thanks

What the hell do you mean by no, what else would you describe them but Indie rock?

Idiot.

Happy that you got all those (You)s?

seeing as their first album was released on RCA, they're by no means "indie", and sound-wise they're just garage rock/post punk revival

>btfo
>"S-s-stop posting please!!!"

thanks for shitting up the board

I never got the indie rock association myself. They're pretty mainstream, they just happened to be really good.

yeah exactly. doesn't really make sense to me

Thanks for the replies

The term indie rock has lost the meaning of independent long ago, and you should know that. And they're are not by any means post-punk, that's just bullshit. Garage rock - maybe, but they're practically an epitome of what indie rock sounds like.

>I'm only a year older than you and I consider The Strokes to be one of my favorite bands.
what else do you listen to. I can never get into them maybe theirs some kind of precursor i missed

>they're are not by any means post-punk, that's just bullshit.
the minimalist guitar, the two-guitar interplay, how can you deny the post-punk associations? maybe sound-wise they're not super post-punk, but aesthetically and sonically they definitely picked some things up from Television

and they are not at all an epitome of indie rock sound

>Stuff I listened to a lot in high school:
Yeah Yeah Yeahs
TV on the Radio
Arcade Fire
Rilo Kiley
Silversun Pickups
Broken Social Scene
A lot of surface indie in general
Weezer

>Stuff that I listen to now:
Death Grips
Kanye West
Frank Ocean
My Bloody Valentine
Some alternative RnB
A lot of shoegaze

Shit man, idk.

You have to imagine a guy at Pitchfork who's in his late 30's now hearing this album for the first time in 2001.

He immediately throws out his ripped blue jeans and ornate button-down shirts and buys vintage skinny jeans and basketball sneakers. He stops shaving as regularly and starts conspicuously drinking cheap beer.

He's adopted the basic bones of the style he's going to hold onto for the rest of his life, and he was inspired by Julian Casablancas.

And every year he listens to this album again and remembers how it inspired him to be a hipster douchebag and reaffirms its 10/10 status.

hmm makes sense never like those bands you liked in high school besides weezer. Don't dislike it just still can't see why some people say its perfect.
Hopefully one day it clicks!
thx user

No prob

I wouldn't stress about it too much. If it's not your thing, then I guess it's just not really your thing.

12:51 is their only good song.