youtu.be/J1kSv0l-GKI
youtu.be/haNhwOv13JY
youtube.com/watch?v=P-z0PGDSVKs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Ultimate Spinach is the pinnacle of heavy psych rock

I think you mean this

>Cream
>heavy psych

Well it's heavy for sure, directly lead the impetus for groups like Iron Butterfly and Zeppelin

If you like Hendrix, this contains alot of unreleased shit near the end of his life and also some jams. Hear My Freedom is a highlight

Definitely The Door's best album and underrated as hell, fuck their self-titled

I never see this thrown around on Sup Forums so I'll post this as well, my favorite album by the 13th floor elevators, very psychedelic with great lyrics

Prob the most underrated psychedelic album imo, Buffalo Springfield's best work too.

Hung Upside Down, Bluebird, and Mr. Soul are all great

Never see WCPAEB on Sup Forums either, good album with experimental psychedelia and good production

more Moby Grape just because they're underrated in general for what they are

that's all I got to dump for now

The Monkees are considered a joke band but this was actually a great album, check out the single Pleasant Valley Sunday and if you want more in that vein, give it a listen

great thread

Never see HP Lovecraft mentioned

>electric jug

Poogapoogapoogapoogapoogapoogapoogapoogapooga

oh yeah forgot about this one, it was released in '66 so its more of garage psychedelic, but it was definitely ahead of it's time. Good album if only for Psychotic Reaction alone

Pretty much anything by these guys. This is just my personal favorite.

FIRE
pls give more psych albums I should check out guys

if you wannt get into REALLY obscure shit, this is also a pretty good album with some folk influences in a few songs, and excellent, 13th floor elevators-esque lyrics

I dunno if I'd quite classify this as traditional '68 era psychedelic rock, but it's still an excellent psychedelic album nonetheless. It has some blues, heavy rock, some folk all mixed with psychedelic influences. It was also released in '70 so you can definitely hear prog influence in it. For Yasgur's Farm is a highlight, and was actually played at Woodstock.

alright that's actually the last I have to dump for now else I'm gonna dip into extremely obscure shit

not really underrated, i just like it a lot

Basically everything the Byrds did in the 60s was incredible and isn't talked about nearly enough.

youtube.com/watch?v=Pq_kWvh6G7o

notorious byrd brothers is even more psych in my opinion. that album was innerspeaker before innerspeaker, every track has tons of layered vocals soaked in delay, and phasing, even more than some pink floyd albums.

Golden Dawn recorded the record in the late 60s. They were the Elevators little brother band.

I dunno what it was but I couldn't get into that one as much. Maybe it was Clark and Crosby I liked. When they depart I enjoy their stuff a lot less.

Lunar dunes - galaxsea

Listen to free to do from that artist/album, rate it.

>not La Nòvia

snowbringer cult
natural snow buildings - the winter ray
fursaxa - mycorrhizae realm

always loved that album art
it's a pretty great album too

Buffalo Springfield is so nice, Poco had some comfy stuff as well. You got any recs for a similar sound besides CSNY?

I remain adamant that this album did prog before ItCotCK.

maybe its not the best byrds album, but i love it and its influence on neo psychedelia

not kidding

A lot of people do, it's held in very high regard by critics. It's probably just me

5d-(fifth dimension)
>drops acid once

Trad Gras och Stenar - s/t compilation
Intersystems - Free Psychedelic Poster Inside
Francis Bebey - Sanza Nocturne
Gas - Pop (maybe not so underrated...)

sadly no, the Buffalo Springfield/CSNY sound is pretty unique

Most people know the singles but this is a great live album, some great blues covers.
youtube.com/watch?v=wAzA8f2sFB8

Sun Structures by temple is a pretty good psychedelic album, it's recent though so it's not your traditional psychedelic rock

I opened this up on youtube and that first song I swore was the Byrds. Sweet thanks for the tip

yeah they're heavily inspired by the byrds

they actually got their album produced because some record exec found Shelter Song on youtube

Nirvana wasn't a joke: they released 2 good psych-pop albums in 1967-1968:
youtu.be/W9Zs8Wh8Xjg
youtu.be/NzJpU3EICug

Surprisingly, Françoise Hardy covered one of their song:
Tiny Goddess youtu.be/J1kSv0l-GKI
Je ne sais pas ce que tu veux youtu.be/haNhwOv13JY

good taste, HPL - II is as good as Piper at the Gates of Dawn imho

their 2016 LP isn't so bad too

Is there anythin Kurt can't do ?

that's not that obscure at all
if you know anything truly about psychedelic rock, you're familiar with the international artists label, plus the golden dawn would have been the second psychedelic rock band in history (after the elevators)

it's even become so popular in recent times with young people and modern fans as a "cult classic" that burger records released it as a cassette tape a few year back

Spirit is sooooooooooo underrated

it was supposed to be released in 67 but IA fucked them over because they wanted to promote the elevators more

the golden dawn (along with the elevators) were one of the few legitimately psychedelic bands that created the genre and actually viewed psychedelics as tools for consciousness expansion and spiritual sacrement, they directly inspired the bay area scene and all the later faux-psych bands that the media hyped with the so-called "summer of love" in mid-late 1967 (for reference the elevators were talking about using lsd for spiritual growth/enlightment - as well as playing every show and recording whilst under the influence of lsd - as early as 1965)

well the frontman george kinney grew up with rocky and if i recall they were from the same place in kerrville as well as stacy sutherland, might be wrong

anyway all those guys plus powell st john and janis joplin hung around each other in "the gheto" at UT in austin where tommy hall (13th floor elevators lyricist, jug player, etc) was a test subject for cia project mk ultra lsd experiments

pic related isn't underrated necessarily, just unfortunately underrepresented

Also great albums:

that are margo guryan's take a picture are psych pop perfection

great album, and their third album is great too, would be excellent if not for the blues rock tracks.
Stacy Sutherland is quite underrated

Stacy died in my city. I pass by the area where his home used to be almost daily. He is my favorite guitar player. He was influenced by another Texas/Houston legend Lightning Hopkins. Stacy was really ahead of his time, still is

Bull of the Woods was Stacy's pet project kind of, but even he considered it a failure, although I like it (of course not as much as the first two though) also that other unreleased album beauty and the beast i believe it was called was supposedly tommy's project after easter everywhere but he claims it never even began

Is there any other interesting Stacy project? I love the chaotic non blues songs of Bull.
Lightnin Hopkins was one of my favourites when I was a teen, same murkiness in their different styles.

basically after the elevators split, besides trying to reunite w/ the elevators a couple times, he had some other bands in houston but none of them were particularly successful and little if any recordings exist. One was called "Ice" and the other I forget. They were more blues rock, not really psychedelic like the elevators. He always had a problem with drugs but after the elevators split he just got worse. There's stories of him always going out with a bandaged hand so he didn't have to play guitar at bars and could just drink, he was something of a local legend then because he lived in montrose, the hippy neighborhood of houston then and now and would sign autographs all the time

anyway there's a couple recordings on youtube of him post-elevators although a lot them are covers. his interviews are for sure worth checking out as well as that recording of him meeting and asking lightning hopkins some questions and jamming with him some time in the 70s

i mean clark is only on one song of fifth dimension
crosby is at least on half of notorious byrd brothers

Was referring to all the Byrds before they left mostly. My favorite being Turn Turn Turn. And since I only like half of Notorious Byrd Brothers that makes sense lol.

>Definitely The Door's best album and underrated as hell, fuck their self-titled

so you really like the doors but you hate their s/t?

i really don't see how that makes sense. just seems contrarian and confused

This is the only actually underrated Byrds album. Their first 6 are all pretty much universally acknowledged as classics, even if Sup Forums doesn't talk about them often.

Peace frog is fucking amazing

this one isn't underrated overall but is severely underrated by Sup Forums and i will take any opportunity to post it

I don't know why, I love blues and blues rock and I love psychedelia, but for some reason Cream just never appealed to me greatly. Maybe it's solely my distaste for clapton wank, I thought the minimal approach of Peter Green and the likes fit blues better.

It isn't unknown or anything but it really shits on Surrealistic pillow, which is where most people take Somebody to Love

youtube.com/watch?v=P-z0PGDSVKs

I dig it, I think the psychedelic sounds album is more consistently strong but Slip Inside This House is imo one of the greatest single works of psychedelia the 60s ever produced. It has all the lyricism of far-out Dylan and the jug meme isn't overplayed.

Not sure if this is necessarily underrated, but its p solid lofi neo-psychadelia

I usually assume when people say psychedelic they mean late 60s

Their best cassette release

There are quite a few modern bands that consider themselves psychedelic.
And anyway, most genres are defined sonically, not temporally

What about these?

>most genres are defined sonically, not temporally
I don't know if I totally agree with that. Yeah there are examples of bands doing music from previous decades but most music is deeply rooted in the time it was made, at least rock music for sure.

Emerson lake and Palmer

My point was that when you define,say, hair metal, you usually talk first about the characteristics of the music, and then about the fact that no one made hair metal after the 80's

and anyway, neo-psychedelia is kind of a revival type thing, like garage rock in the late 90s

Grand funk. Railroad album

I get what you mean. By that token wouldn't Blackmoth then be neo-psychedelic, which is then a different genre and tied to another time, such as with AnCo and Tame? Because I guess they're all psychedelic in the sense they're meant to evoke the feelings of being on drugs, but psych rock is so simple sonically compared to the newer stuff that it feels weird to lump them in together. I guess that's all I meant