WTF?

WTF?

it was in the book.

fun fact - that's john candy in the bear suit

Why?

wtf

i hate bears now

Furries

The original owner of the Overlook was a bisexual. He let one of his heartbroken gay lovers come to a costume party but only if he dressed as a dog. During the party the owner made his ex lover do various doggy tricks in front of an audience to degrade and humiliate him. The ex lover did as he was told, but was weeping uncontrollably as he did it. The owner and his crowd of admirers laughed at the guy.

Can't remember if the guy an heroed or not.
Why they changed from a dog suit to a bear suit, I don't know. Kubrick's a genius. Or he just hated King and deliberately sabotaged him

King is a madman

never read the book thanks for this

That's obviously a dog suit not a bear suit you people are retarded

I read the book and I don't remember this part.
Not calling you a liar, I just don't remember it.

That's because he is a liar and it wasn't in the book

thats still a bear costume

sounds like i guys need to re read the book then. the old hotel staff was more fleshed out.

This is to connect a few themes together, albeit in a mostly symbolic way. Remember first that the character who witnesses this is Wendy. Her true horror is that she has an abusive husband that she refuses to acknowledge. One of the main tropes of Kubrick's films is the unreliable storyteller, likely stemming from his love of Nabokov who utilized this in his books narratives. When Wendy is explaining how Jack broke Danny's arm we get a strong sense she's not comfortable. She's making excuses for the behavior, shes smoking nervously without ashing. These give us an impression that the abuse upon Danny is maybe more intentional if not just more than what she's willing to tell the doctor.

The second aspect to the scene is the bear suit. Bears play strongly into the thematics of the film and often in association with victimhood. Danny lays upon a large stuffed bear when being examined by the doctor in his underwear. Later in the overlook we see bears in the hallway, one Pooh Bear the other a black one, which marks where Halloran is killed with the axe.

The third element at play here is the larger historical context of abuse. Kubrick is trying the larger notion of abuse to be one of an imbalance of power. As this related the Native American Genocide and the Holocaust. The overlook is covered in Eagle iconography, as is Jack at one particularly menacing moment where he holds Danny in his arms. We see moonlanding imagery on Danny to remind us that our childlike wonder for space was largely spurred on by powerful nations fighting and compromising morality for the sake of power (I.e. hiring Nazi Scientist to make the moon landing possible).

And so Wendy here is bearing (heh pun) witness to her horror in a largely symbolic way. The man in the suit represents the powerful wealthy men of status that have ruled the world. The man in the bear suit is a symbol of the perversion of power upon innocent victims. My interpretation anyway

is there some way i can subscribe to your personal e-blog

Zing

Huh

Fuck, I'm wrong about when Jack has the shirt with the eagle. It's actually Danny who has symbolic clothing on. Either way, I feel you could read this into the perversion of America's youth that ends up being a theme in FMJ too when they chant the Mickey Mouse theme.

So, the guy in the tuxedo is the owner?

That's fucking hot

why doesn't anyone actually want to discuss movies on a movie board

>Or he just hated King and deliberately sabotaged him

I'm thinking this. There are blatant examples from the movie where shit was only changed for the sake of spiting King.

I often try to, but I think it's because the average age of users is about 16. That's why people are more interested in letterboxed threads or charts or nudity. A lot of masturbation, both mental and actual goes on here. And I think TV gets discussed but only from a standpoint of what's funny or what's cool or badass. Not always, but a lot of the time that's what if feels like here.

>expecting instant AND quality replies

Try an actual forum desu.