How in the goddamn world was this released on a major label, let alone their next 4 albums

How in the goddamn world was this released on a major label, let alone their next 4 albums

What even got them signed based on their first two albums

catchy songs innit

Maybe this kind of music was the craze back then

Probably because the Rollins Band gave them a lot of support, so they put their trust in them.

no really though

really? explain? and how would that influence a major label? I wouldn't think anything associated with black flag would have a lot of influence with a major label either
anything else?

the real question why the hell would they choose Push Th Little Daisies as the leading single

it's catchy as fuck

what song would you choose?

i know this might sound crazy but maybe the label liked it because it was good. scary i know

major labels aren't le bad guy like people make them out to be.

good in a context for someone that can be open to it but it's totally not accessible for the average person

not really. are you forgetting ween was used for the spongebob soundtrack?
you're acting like their songs are harsh noise. its not like everybody forgot about the crazy stuff going on the 60/70s

elektra had stereolab also.
Anyway my theory is that if major labels pushed a certain song with marketing. majority of "weird" stuff could top the charts

Ween's spongebob shit came later
At this point they were doing weird outsider lo-fi bedroom shit

yes i know that, but its not the label they signed too was known for tossing their artists if they didn't make a top 40 hit each release.

just don't think they made inaccessible stuff

They're pretty much slacker rock that was really wacky. Even if they were weird, you still felt like it was just drugged out rock music.

This is my favorite ween album.

Mourning Glory 10/10

The year this came out, arguably the music industry was at it's literal all time peak

tru tho

They literally made the most pure, human kind of music you can make. It has a lot of artistic merit whether or not you like it.

I remember MTV played Push the little Daises for like a month straight.

Mourning Glory

Rollins Band was pretty big in the early 90's dude. if Elektra hadn't signed them, someone else would have. that's what hype was back then

also given the support Black Flag was getting, it's no wonder they were signed to a major label. they were hot as hell

One of the best ween albums, also one of the best ween albums to listen to on drugs. they really love making your ears feel good

>Why would you be such a fucker to me?
Im just a pumpkin

Songs like that are not what record labels want as singles.

:^)

Wasn't this also the label Daniel Johnston refused to sign with because he thought they were satanic? As I recall this actually happened just a year or two before they signed ween.

>let alone their next 4 albums
their next 4 albums aren't really weird