Pitchfork has apparently retroactively changed the tagging on all the grime albums they've ever reviewed from being...

Pitchfork has apparently retroactively changed the tagging on all the grime albums they've ever reviewed from being "Electronic" to "Hip-Hop". This includes everything going back to 2003 and 2004 with Dizzee Rascal and Ruff Sqwad and instrumental grime compilations too.

In a recent article, they described grime as being "the style of British trap rap with future garage influence that has bubbled up out of the post-Yeezus/Death Grips musical landscape".

What's next? Kode9 and the Spaceape are now hip-hop? The Ragga Twins? Buju Banton is hip-hop? Any jungle or garage or dubstep mix/set with an MC over it is hip-hop?

Just when you thought they couldn't be any more ignorant about club/rave and soundsystem culture (particularly in the context of dance music), they prove you wrong.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/r7XuW7UVz_w
youtu.be/mL2Bgj-za5k
youtu.be/uH6uRTB4VcY
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

hmmm rlly makes u think

>Just when you thought they couldn't be any more ignorant about club/rave and soundsystem culture (particularly in the context of dance music), they prove you wrong.

They only care about this scene on a very surface level. Hip Hop is more "culturally diverse" and marketable/relevant so obviously they're going to emphasize it more than anything else

>inb4 Americans thinking they invented MC'ing

looool cultural appropriation

i can't imagine my life ever being so bad that this upsets me. i can't imagine my life ever being so bad that i would even care about this.

>I spend time on a music board but don't care about music

>I go to pitchfork.com and claim to care about music

the problem is the amount of people here who do go there and will be miseducated

Yeah, real serious problem that one.

Get a fucking life.

>they described grime as being "the style of British trap rap with future garage influence that has bubbled up out of the post-Yeezus/Death Grips musical landscape"
why are yanks allowed to pose as ""experts"" on things they dont know about

Who fucking cares
people who go there are hipsters who care about the image than the music anyways

youtu.be/r7XuW7UVz_w
youtu.be/mL2Bgj-za5k
youtu.be/uH6uRTB4VcY

Are these hip-hop too then?

if this isn't proof that british people shouldnt be allowed to make music i don't know what to tell you. particularly black british people.

Last one isn't even british you retard

Yes, because they're rapping over a beat. Why is this so hard for you to get.

Also, all that shit fucking blows chunks. It may be hip-hop, but that doesn't mean it's not a total abomination.

How about MF Doom

I fail to see the problem?

You should call your senator's office, this is an outrage. I'm writing a letter right now, we need to mobilize and get organized. They can't get away with this!

>multiple threads attacking British music and British culture
It's not like we're trying to do our thing or anything. I wonder who could be behind these posts?

modern british music sucks dude

this especially the edm shit

>caring about how some online publication categorizes music

Literally the antithesis of caring about music.

the uk makes better edm than the states and you know it

prove it
post some examples

>inb4 europeans think they invented club music

how is that wrong?