Is there any other movies like the Big Lebowski...

Is there any other movies like the Big Lebowski, where the central character's lack of a character arc is portrayed as a positive?

Inherent Vice perhaps?

all miyazaki movies

What do you mean by "central character's lack of a character arc is portrayed as a positive"?

Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Clerks
Clerks 2

Does The Comedy count?

The Dude does not change, grow or develop as a result of the events of the movie and the narrative portrays this as a good thing. That he doesn't need to change, grow or develop. That he's perfectly fine the way that he is. That his lack of a need to grow is suggested to be heroic.

i think he means that lebowski is the hero of the movie because in spite of all the crazy shit that happens to him, he keeps an even keel and just kinda does his thing

no character development, so to speak, he didnt need to learn anything or change, he just needed to be chill and figure that shit out

the comedy doesnt count because its obviously trying to show how pathetic their lack of development is, and also tim's character does develop slightly, at the ending scene anyway

Ehh...I wouldn't say that Clerks suggests that. I mean, the two main characters are losers, and the movie doesn't try to portray that as being a good thing.

Boyhood? I don't think he has an any arc, he's just growing up.

That and it took twelve years to make.

I think A Clockwork Orange counts, depending on your interpretation of the film's authorial standpoint.

I was cured alright.

What about Slacker? I haven't seen it but I'm guessing it fits the description.

Maybe the nice guys?

In the end they didnt change one thing about the crime, they found out who did it, but no one is behind bars, and they dont seem to give a fuck.

Most noir movies

More Coen

Barton Fink works in this category

'You just don't listen'

American Psycho

not portrayed as positive. his life is empty and shallow.

he accepts that he's not destined to be a writer. it's a positive arc increasing his self-knowledge and giving him the potential for future growth.

Drive obviously

>he accepts that he's not destined to be a writer. it's a positive arc increasing his self-knowledge and giving him the potential for future growth.

While suggesting that he probably isn't.

not Spirited Away

Beavis and Butthead Do America
Dude, Where's My Car?

>Napoleon dynamite
Other people accept him at the end, (for a moment anyway) he doesn't change