How do people feel about this album? Never seem to see it mentioned here

How do people feel about this album? Never seem to see it mentioned here

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DxBTxKkhdfw
bombedoutpunk.com/bombed-out/photo-stories/photos-the-story-of-cbgbs-new-york-the-birthplace-of-punk/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

pretty good

Fantastic album.
It's mentioned a lot here, though

I'll be honest, I haven't listened to it yet because some whore had it on a tshirt.

>Never seem to see it mentioned here

listening to it again right now, one of my favorite proto-punk albums. Comes really high in it's genre. Fantastic lyrics.

Why do you lie?

>proto-punk
what

You are aware there is a genre called punk that originated in the 1970's and before that there was a genre now labelled as proto-punk right

One of my favorite albums from that time period. Their other two albums are really good too and they've been sitting on a mostly finished album since 2007 that I hope eventually gets released.

Yeah, it literally is proto punk.
I've never understood the 'post-punk' tag in general. This is mildly outsider-tinged powerpop, bordering on Glam rock a la New York Dolls.

Either way, it's bloody great.

QUINTS
CHECKĀ“ EM!

TRASH!

I'd considering post-punk to be bands like Swans, Big Black, early Nirvana, Jawbreaker etc etc

It's almost an umbrella term for certain genres that kinda scopes from like Grunge to Grindcore at times

It recently clicked for me, went from good to great

Objective song tiers:
Tier 1: Friction, Marquee Moon, Prove It
2: See No Evil, Venus, Guiding Light, Torn Curtain
3: Elevation
honestly hard to pick favorites, it's a pretty consistent album IMO

Uh, the poster-boy Post-Punk band is Joy Division

but marquee moon is from 1977

the band was practicing and performing for years in the CBGB scene, and never quite embraced punk OR post-punk.

proto-punk is always applied retroactively, but I guess chronologically your argument makes sense. But the music itself is very much akin to other proto-punk.

Either way. It's guitar-driven powerpop. The only things that separate this record from all other dadrock are the lanky, skeletal bodies and outsider presence.

I SEE

I SEE NO

What's your point? All of those bands have been considered post-punk at one time or another lmao

Musically it's not equal to proto punk at all. You're making an argument that has no base.

if you're gonna list post punk band, you might as well list the obvious ones

Also if they were in the CBGB scene by definition they aren't proto punk

You're thinking of noise rock/no wave.
Post-punk is like Missing Chairs by Wire and Joy Division.

Yep, and they weren't playing punk. They were playing what we now call proto-punk. It developed from Garage rock, that's why people always argue as to whether it was The Ramones or The Sex Pistols "who started" punk. However the argument itself is pretty stupid as the genre of punk is more or less numerous different bands who exploded on to music scene with crazily different sounds that just got called punk because of their attitude. Take Crass for example.

Was just trying to give a broad description of what post-punk can be considered

A lot of people consider these bands post-punk, your view of post-punk is pretty rigid. Throbbing Gristle are labelled post-punk at times

If it was being played while punk rock was a thing it by definition is not proto punk. proto punk is shit that kinda sounds that led to punk rock.

>Days of Future Passed
way to out yourself as very new
marquee moon may as well be Sup Forumscore

Thats fucking stupid

that's what I meant to greentext. you ever copy and paste the last thing you were searching for ..hehehehe

You're an idiot

I think the proto-punk label makes sense. First thing to realize is that all punk music isn't inherently what The Ramones and Sex Pistols did. Second is that musically Marquee Moon is definitely influential to most forms of punk in its complete disregard for standard bluesy approach to playing music, being huge for post-punk/hardcore/post-hardcore. Third is that practically every big name that came from that scene that we can think of like Ramones and Patti Smith all formed bands because they saw Television play live at CBGBs in 1974.

Jesus, mysoginy much?

>tfw I'll never be able to play guitar like them

>practically every big name that came from that scene that we can think of like Ramones and Patti Smith all formed bands because they saw Television play live at CBGBs in 1974.
source?

amazing album
youtube.com/watch?v=DxBTxKkhdfw
i don't really care for guitar wankery, but the guitars in this album are beautiful

The prefix proto means before. Both of you are wrong. And i need you to talk down to me about punk rock while explaining your objectively wrong interpretation of it. I know more than you could pretend to.

I can't tell if your trolling or you're genuinely retarded. If a blues musician played blues up until R&B was created, does that mean he becomes an R&B musician?

Blues and R&B are two similar but different things. You just proved yourself retarded.

bombedoutpunk.com/bombed-out/photo-stories/photos-the-story-of-cbgbs-new-york-the-birthplace-of-punk/

And Television was a band as early as 1973, while doing regular CBGB performances in 1974. Punk bands formed AFTER they did.

this link says only Patti Smith and another member from her band watched Television play, and Horses was released 2 years before Marquee Moon

also, the fact that they played with punk and post-punk bands only shows that they're not proto-punk

Newfag

Yeah, you're trolling. Hope you have a nice night buddy you've obviously got some problems if you're spending you're night doing this shit

great album, tom verlaine and richard lloyd are probably the best pair of dueling lead guitars there ever was

>this link says only Patti Smith
Yeah, I couldn't find the thing but I was for some reason sure one of the Ramones was there, too.

>and Horses was released 2 years before Marquee Moon
Album release dates are a dumb as fuck way to look at influence of music. Television existed since 1973. Before every big name CBGBs band except Suicide.

Not to mention that even if release dates matter so much, Television released their first single in 1975, before Patti released Horses which was end of 1975, and before The Ramones which was 1976.

>the fact that they played with punk and post-punk bands only shows that they're not proto-punk
Wtf kind of logic is this? They were playing before everyone else, and they existed as a band before everyone else. All while having a sound still wildly different from their peers that isn't fully rooted in the punk sound.

my god shit opinion. if you're using those tiers

1. Marquee Moon, Prove It, Venus, Elevation
2. See No Evil, Torn Curtain
3. Guiding Light

is this what the strokes were referencing?

>you'll never be an effortlessly cool proto-punk band in the dirty gutters of 70s NYC
>you will never date Patti Smith and be a part of the burgeoning CBGB's scene

>Album release dates are a dumb as fuck way to look at influence of music.
the discussion is whether or not Marquee Moon is proto-punk
>They were playing before everyone else, and they existed as a band before everyone else.
they were formed around the time bands like Ramones, Talking Heads and Patti Smith's Group were. one or two years of difference isn't as much as you think

forgot pic

proto punk bands didn't play in the GBGB scene you absolute moron

>the discussion is whether or not Marquee Moon is proto-punk
And it still is. You ever listen to the their singles? It's very similar garage rock/proto punk with a tinge of sophistication stuff.

>they were formed around the time bands like Ramones, Talking Heads and Patti Smith's Group were. one or two years of difference isn't as much as you think
They were formed before everyone else/the music was codified, they released something before everyone else/the music was codified. Their sound is closer to the garage rock stuff that was proto punk during the late 60s till early to mid 70s (except they got better at their instruments through practice so by Marquee Moon they had very sophisticated takes on that style of music.) What more could you want?