The English language is beautiful...

The English language is beautiful, yet I always hear cucks bitching about how it is the most difficult language to learn and that its rules are schizophrenic.

These claims are just dumb. These people probably think that you mostly have to use French words in order to speak English fluently. In practice, at least 90% of the words in everyday English are Germanic words, and the only people who mostly use Romance words (even in formal situations) are just pretentious.

English DOES have a consistent set of rules amongst its Germanic words, and even most words of French origin are pronounced as though they are native to English.

...So I must ask: why are English native speakers so fucking bad at speaking English? I'm pretty sure English is the only language in which its native speakers can't even speak it fluently. English native speakers seemingly have a worse understanding of English' rules than non-native speakers.

English native speakers don't know that "its" is the possessive form of "it" and think that the correct spelling is "it's". English native speakers don't know the difference between "effect" and "affect", showing that they lack any ability to discern vowels. English native speakers don't know that "there", "their" and "they're" are spelt differently. English native speakers don't know how to properly use the numerative case (e.g, "was" vs "were", "is" vs "are") and disregard that there's a difference between the nominative and accusative case (e.g, "I" vs "me", "he" vs "him", "they" vs "them", etc).

I think Americans might just be the worst speakers of English, especially African-Americans who somehow happen to be worse at conjugation than native speakers are (due to not even conjugating in the first place).

Seriously, why are you guys so bad at English? It's literally the easiest language on the planet. Should English native speakers be legally classified as illiterate?

Other urls found in this thread:

linguistics.berkeley.edu/~syntax-circle/syntax-group/spr08/fillmore.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

*English native speakers seemingly have a worse understanding of English's rules than non-native speakers.

>thinking knowledge of highly arb orthography is a measure of language proficiency
>calling the subjective and objective cases respectively nominative and accusative
>not realising that AAVE may have lost some standard inflection but its tense system is significantly more complex

3/10

The nominative case identifies the subject and the accusative case identifies the object.

it's an easily misleading choice of terms because "accusative" has a much more specific meaning in hundreds of others languages

english uses a lot of abreviations (???). I'm not aware of any language that uses so many of them like "it's, I'm, you're, it's, that's", it's easy to make difficulties if you haven't learnt the language from scratch like non-natives have.

Everyone knows those things

Words like "its", "there" and "their" are not contractions though, so there is no excuse for native speakers not knowing how to use them properly.

You mean contractions?

I must disagree with you about your consistent rules, English pronunciation makes no sense and is set on stone due to different local practices and not common sense or logic.

German uses a lot of contractions too though. Which languages don't?

English's inconsistencies are forged by Romance loanwords.

Is is true that Dutch people think Afrikaans is an Ugly Language? A saffer friend told me that

yes
native speakers probably don't think about it as much
Only in some dialects but never written I think

>native speakers probably don't think about it as much
Native speakers learn grammar all the way from kindy to graduation.

>vors
>vom
>ins
etc.

seems common enough

I wouldn't know. I've only met a handful of Hollanders.

ans
am
im
zum
zur
beim

I think english is extremely boring language.

t. markkusikkenniikennkikkenenn

Finnish is my first language btw. English was a godsend to me because it's so much smoother than Finnish is. Not that I had difficulty speaking my own language though, only English native speakers experience that.

I had an american tell me once that they never learned the tenses, he didn't know what simple past, present perfect etc. was

>oo
>two "O"
>pronounced as "U" for some reason
>expect for "blood"
>where it pronounced as "AH"
Sometimes English makes me cry.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL AMERICAN ENGLISH BTFO

It is tho. Lackluster and boring sound. As an musician i would never use it.

Smoother? Doubt it. English lacks vowel harmony which on itself would make it much smoother.

true but you can't write like this, in english I think writing "you're" or something like that is viable

He's right. I didn't know what any of that was until I learned German in high school

Can you not see the obvious rules in play there?
{twin-vowel}
{consonant}wo
{consonant}loo (like in flood)

I wouldn't say English that English lacks vowel harmony outright. For instance, you will never see front and back vowels side-by-side in English.

Fuck your 'th' sound.

It's easy

Most retarded sounding pronunciations are germanic words.

To clarify for the Russkiy, there are word 'body types' with modifiers.

We dont use it at all

Do you know how to place your tongue directly underneath your top incisors?

>brood
>pronounced [bro͞od]

>blood
>pronounced [bləd]

Why does L change the pronunciation of "oo", how does it make any sense.

this. The language is extremely inconsistent with it's pronounciations. Crime against linquistics tbqh.

L just does. These modifiers and language body-types are really simple. I understand mispronouncing it the first time, but it's not hard to remember the modifiers.

If you have to memorize how to pronounce every word instead of just reading it, you know either your language or your writing system is fucked up. You may as well start to write with hieroglyphs.

it doesn't, don't listen to him
Just be glad that Chinese/Thai isn't the lingua franca

Way to generalise, lad. Most people I know are aware of those grammatical rules you listed. You've been reading too many posts by northern monkeys in their grotty council houses with little to no education. I'm pretty sure most natives in the UK know the correct way in each of those examples you mentioned, unless I just never notice it. My mum drummed the correct way into me for all of those when I was about 7, and I grew up in a family with an income below the national average.

Again, i have to agree with the russian.

English is inconsistent and pedantic both at the same time, that's why its such an awkward language.

>implying flood is more difficult to learn how to say than navodneniye

Talk about arbitrary.
Like I said, it's not rational. A letter is supposed to make a sound so that anyone that has this basic knowledge can pronounce any word with that letter, even if he doesn't know what it means.
I can pronounce every word of italian, spanish or french, even without knowing what I'm actually saying, because they all follow the same structural integrity.

English, French, Italian, Russian, Spanish, Japanese (and German in an special manner) are the most beautiful languages in the world, other languages need more time to refine themselves.

Also, there are retards all over the world who can't speak their own languages. Also not knowing the grammatical rules is something kinda COMMON for people who is not often exposed to another language or who don't read so often (Mexican people reads less than a book per year).

>"A letter is supposed to make a sound so that anyone that has this basic knowledge can pronounce any word with that letter"
>"I can pronounce every word of French"
>bitches about English
wot

German is not a wholly consistent language either, but I can pronounce every word of German, paragraphs even, even without knowing what I'm actually saying, because I wasn't dropped on my head so I know how to pick up on patterns and modifiers.

And nice use of "structural integrity".

But can a german pronounce every word of english?
That's the point.

I definetely can't pronounce squirrel

If they're like me then they will learn to identify patterns.
Moreover, Norwegian is an inconsistent language, but I picked up on the patterns immediately. After less than two months of learning Norwegian, I can speak it.

Why

Fuck off.

Just keep calm and READ this.

I have started to learn English when I was 7 years old.

I STILL CAN'T WATCH YOUR MOVIES

FUCK OFF

I dropped my french lessons after the first year

but it's still easier to understand what they are saying

so fugg off)))

also learn Chinese, it would be useful for you

I met an ukrainian who couldn't pronounce Spanish words like "Flor" (Flower), "Gordo" (Fat), "Gorra" (Cap). The funny thing about this is that she was talking Spanish like an Anglo and Russian/Ukrainian pronounce R's almost the same way Spanish speakers do.

German is from your own language group. It's the same if I would say that Polish is pretty easy, because for us it's true.

Are you familiar with the poem The Chaos from Gerard Nolst Trenité from 1922?
If not google it. Can you really say all of those words follow a logical pattern and that analyzing it would lead you to assume the correct pronunciation of all of them?

not the all of us do it. but our language scientists are nazis and think that it's a kind of illness.

Finnish is my first language.
It's not even Indo-European.
"Can you really say all of those words follow a logical pattern and that analyzing it would lead you to assume the correct pronunciation of all of them?"
Poetry does not abide by proper grammar so your example is shit.

That's not... just fucking read it, will you?!

>simple

I read it with no issue, but poetry requires an understanding of the language.

Do you realise that your children probably will not speak it

it's pretty bad, Finnish sounds awesome, you shouldn't lost it

>Inglisy ist hart
This is how I perceive English before I read the spelling when I learnt it during primary school.

A retarded spelling system, perhaps?

that's the point, as your mother tongue you shouldn't really notice anything because it is what you're used to; but to anyone else this will definitely highlight the inconsistencies of the language.

But it's not being poetic, it's just a gramatical analysis in the form of a poem. It's criticizing English pronunciation's arbitrary sounds, and it's from 1922.

English a is language very easy learn

Many book make easy yes

English good my can speaked

Oh I'll teach my kids Finnish and English.
English is not my mother tongue.
That's still a poem you fucking monkey.

It says something about the nature of English orthography and grammar that I understood your meaning perfectly but you sound like a rutard

You can't even use vocatives and you're advocating proper language learning?
Just fuck off already, ignorant cunt.

Probably because you don't speak proper english. You speek that globbish that all foreigners learn that is a watered down version of english.
English has quite a lot of charm, and if you were reading actual books in english you'd notice it.
Most foreigners, even the swedes, speak english like a 12yo native, which is normal, but 12yo don't have the arrogance to say that english is a lack lustre, boring language like you do.

Yeah English is a stupid language m8. I'm Aussie so it's my native tongue, ignore my flag I'm just in Jakarta for work. People here talk like I did just then but I still know what they mean. Everything in Indonesian is spoken backwards compared to English, instead of "big house" they say "house big" in their language

Merci la based france

But I really did take that photo today of the DVD that says "English make easy" because I saw it and lolled

are they retarded or what? Swedish and Danish are very simple to English

Poles as bad in russian's pronunciation as another foreigniers, but they are VEEEERRRYYYY good at grammar

I speak english perfectly lad. My preferences matter little in the matter is it boring or not. But as i said It is atleast in my mind truly boring language. It lacks depth and sounds retarded. Maybe it's the lingua franca status.

English doesn't have a vocative case...

Tы вceгдa мoжeшь вepнyтьcя к pyccкoмy, бpaтишкa

go read a book retard

What the fuck are you talking about. Of course it does. Sentences would make no sense without it.

Because we have word пoтoп ([potòp]) for that.

Not saying that it is hard, just saying that people learn some functional english with very few vocabulary and call it a day. Languages have depth, and most foreigners only scrap the surface.
A 12yo native speak english functionally and "perfectly" like you. Doesn't change the fact that they have limited vocabulary.
Read some essay written by a 12yo in your language see if it compares with one written by an adult with a firmer grasp on Finnish.

What do you mean by Vocative case? English now only uses the nominative case; even for cases when vocative should be used in other languages.

English uses the accusative case as well, but only for pronouns.

"For example, in the sentence, "I don't know, John", John is a vocative expression that indicates the party being addressed—as opposed to the sentence, "I don't know John", where John is the direct object of the verb "know.""

read this classic essay which introduces the idea of English actually having cases to the Anglosphere

linguistics.berkeley.edu/~syntax-circle/syntax-group/spr08/fillmore.pdf

before Fillmore Anglos sincerely believed that case is something which happens to others and most still do

>In practice, at least 90% of the words in everyday English are Germanic words

Meanwhile, your text is plagued with french and latin words. Of course you don't have to use french words but only if you want to sound brutish and mentally challenged.

I don't think english is ugly or boring, it suits certain types of writings very well. Words like Ominous and omen are absent from many languages, for example. The word fuck is the most versatile word in existence and it's extremely hard to convey certain things without having it.
I just think it's absolutely silly that OP won't admit that english pronunciation doesn't follow a rule, it's just utterly chaotic.

What a loser. I've read Katawa Shoujo using google translate and watched movies and played videogames for, i dunno, a year, all is required is subtitles to help yourself, after a year or so you can switch it off untill you find a unique tech term.
And my english wasn't even for reading when I started with same experience you had.

> also learn Chinese
I can find a copypasta from this here board, which shows why you shouldn't do this if you value your sanity. Would you like me to search for it?

>English-speaking retards post in English constantly all over social media.
>ESL retards very rarely post in English
That's literally it. We get a retard filter.

Gotcha.

"you fucking monkey" does not give context to "It's still a poem" and vice versa. As such, the only use a comma would have in my sentence would be theatrics.

There's this supposedly good vocabulary test online somewhere and I'd be shocked if most people here scored below the college educated professional range.

Yes, this one! Mine was just cut into pieces to meet the pixel height limit for pictures on other places.

You must be a child prodigy

Wow I love France now

It makes all the difference and it's just good practice to maintain.

You rekt him with the poem example huehue-bro!

>Other places

Of my 311 word OP, 49 words weren't Germanic in origin. That's 15%.
If a particular comma does not provide any grammatical substance to the sentence, it is therefore a poetic device and not a grammatical one.

Only small under-bed hosting can allow itself to upload images with no limit. When you hit the popularity at least as 410chan's, you gotta do something about rapidly vaporizing free space. And that's not even having archived threads in mind.
If the question is about milti-boarding, I cannot name a single imageboard where I could find more than 2-3 boards I'm not disgusted to enter. Usually it's just one, others are either drowning in random unrelated bullshitttery or long forgotten and have 1 post per hour at best.

In fact, there were 156 unique words in my OP, and
only 21% weren't Germanic.

It greatly enhances the reading experience. Even if you are in the internet you should still write like you were doing a big novel. But that's the romance language school of thinking, that you seem to be opposing.