Horror

I just watched pic related, and again it suffers from "great concept, mediocre execution".

This is a re-occurring principle I feel frequently in horror.

>spore infections that cause a specific plant to slowly grow inside of you until it devours you

Cool. That works. That's a great principle to make a scary movie on.

>focus on the teenage drama of who fucked who and who's a slut and weird sexual tension

Why? Why ruin something that could have been cool by pulling the focus onto something so boring?

So many fucking horror movies do this, why?

women want to see relationshit? thanks for the warning on the movie, sounds like a shitty one

It wasn't good. At least not as good as it could have been.

You're missing nothing.

They should have focused more on the slow build and set up the creepy villagers protecting the ruins and performing rituals and shit while salting the surrounding soil it would have been a more rewarding reveal to see that they were the "good guys".

Even after showing that they're willing to kill to stop the evil magical plant's spread into the outside world.

thought it was kinda cool but your right the relationshit got in theway

Exactly. And the always-rational one (Jeff, was it?) should at some point have realized that they weren't prisoners on the temple, they were being kept there as quarantine.

Also, one thing that bothered me throughout the movie was that they never tried burning the plant.

Went girl A and girl B went down the hole with fucking torches, at some point someone should have entertained the idea of setting fire to the entire monstrosity.

It was good premise. It could have been terrifying if they focused more on the desire to get it out and the itching.

Instead they focused on Jeff getting cucked.

Why though? Why can't women bask in the glorious carnage like men obviously can?

I just want to watch people get raped by plants god damn it.

They were being kept there to die though, the whole idea was that they fucked up and couldn't be allowed off the pyramid.

It has been a while since I've seen it but I don't think they could have started a fire, they were trapped on a bit of rock with no real supplies.

Also the plant literally mimicked a phone or something, it was some evil Aztec magic or something. I doubt fire would do jack if it survived for that long.

IMO it would have been great if 75% of the movie was the kids observing weird cult like behavior from the town while trying to sneak into the pyramid, then when they finally get in they find hieroglyphics or pictographs depicting the plants as some god and people being sacrificed to it, then finally they try to leave, are mostly killed off by the townsfolk and a survivor goes back inside to escape them.
Final scene is the reveal that the "creepy murderous villagers" have been fending this shit off for generations and the plant does some blatantly magical shit to kill the last kid.

>Why can't women bask in the glorious carnage like men obviously can?

Because they get carnage in their pants once a month and that's enough for them.

>It has been a while since I've seen it but I don't think they could have started a fire, they were trapped on a bit of rock with no real supplies.

True, but like I said, they were smart enough to combine long sticks, with cloth, with alcohol with matches to produce two really functional torches.

It just blew my mind that no one at any point thought that burning the massive plant might be a good idea.

Fuck even the Mayans didn't entertain this idea.

Good point.

two words - target audience

Another big-ass plot hole was the fucking salt. They salted the earth about half-way through the movie to prevent flower-satan from expanding.

If so, why not just keep salting a few millimeters more each year? Better yet, why not just tell the authorities and nuke the temple? Fuck, burn the entire forest.

I don't get this argument. Do teenagers not watch horror movies for the fear, but for the """implied""" sluts?

I mean yeah, breasts are nice, but isn't this suppose to be a fucking horror movie?

Anyone seen this movie? Sorry to hijack your thread OP, but the subject suggests that other movies of the genre are also welcome here.

>Do teenagers not watch horror movies for the fear, but for the """implied""" sluts?
The latter. You're supposed to go to the movies with your chad bf or stacy gf and your friend-couples and insert yourself in the storyline.

Yes I know it's stupid but it's obviously true since you yourself said it happens to so many horror flicks.

he did realize this in the novel fairly early on if i remember correctly. and the relationship drama was briefer, with more focus on the fact that the vines were possibly sentient, malicious, and preferred to drag their deaths out using psychological torture rather than kill them outright.

weird thing is the author of the novel wrote the script. i don't know why he changed so much of what made the novel fairly interesting.

The trend in hollywood and movie making is to more aggressively go after female audiences, which this film was trying to do. It assumed men would see it regardless because of the gore and violence. It was kinda a shit bet though and kinda unnecessary. Woman like to watch horror movies on dates. Its the same shit they did with The Evil Dead remake

Yeah. Yeah it makes sense.

Sad as it is though.

Ironically I even think one of the girls in the movie was named Stacey. I know that's got nothing to do with anything but it just lit up as you mentioned it.

/tg/ here.
Anyone know of any more horror/suspense movies with fantasy elements?

This movie has a vaguely mystical antagonistic force in the plants of the ruins, I'm looking for something else along these lines.

Not looking for stuff with Sci-fi elements like Alien though.

I know what you're looking for in a horror movie but you won't get it in this day and age. I suggest you move to books. There's not as much forced romance there

Hollywood producers are still old fat guys stuck in the 60s/70s. Sex sells. Teenagers, tits and blood. They think everyone still thinks like them, and they know what's best for a project.

Compare it to Euro stuff where we got over our obsession/hang-ups with sex before America was born, our films tend to be much less 'tits and teens'.

Try one called The Borderlands (also called Final Prayer in some places). Found footage about a vatican investigator looking into a supposedly haunted church.

No relationships, no teen drama, not many jump scares. Proper hidden gem.

I'll try to read the novel this was based on. Who knows, it could be better..?

Teenagers go to horror as a way to get closer to each other. The girls use it as a way to grab a guys hand when they are scared, and men use it as a way to show women they are tough and not scared. Its just a way to show off your potential as a mate and can be used to make out and initiate sexual relations

>Sup Forums - Theoretical sexual biology

Will do.
I just remembered the first two REC movies were good for what I described as well.

The originals, not the for English audience Quarantine versions.
For those who haven't seen them, they too are found footage movies. Take place in an apartment complex in which some zombie like monsters are attacking the residents, later you find out they are supernatural/cult based, not your typical pseudoscience infection zombies.

>that scene where the woman is pulling the vines out of herself
>that scene where she wakes up and it's crawled into her leg

>It's a most unlikable character is the sole survivor episode
Why do they keep doing this Sup Forumsros?

Woaw. Nice to finally meet someone else how like this movie. Congratulations on the great tastes.

See, more of THESE scenes would have made the movie something memorable. Because that kinda' makes you itch right there, and that's a good, scary feeling.

Instead the movie used it to get the girl out of her pants, literally.

The last scene shows her being devoured by the plant though.

>great concept, mediocre execution
Yes
>Dimension hopping body horror freaks searching for the ultimate in sensation, be it absolute pleasure or utter agony
Radical
>focus on shitty 'forbidden romance' between a reanimated dead guy who can't act and a woman who dressed like my mother when I was 4 who also can't act
>literally first hour/hour and a half of the movie is her bringing guys back to her attic so the juicy guy can Imhotep them
>cenobites probably get 20 minutes of screen time tops
What the actual fuck

>yfw she's gonna' spread vine spores everywhere she goes before she finally succumbs to it
Sequel WHEN?

That shit is about as theoretical as gravity

Exactly. See this is what I'm talking about,

This could have been the spoopiest shit ever, as some unholy abomination god-creature moves between dimensions and reality to fuck with the protagonists head.

Instead we get MediocreSlasherFlick#8532.

Fuck Hollywood.

I genuinely believe the only remotely good horrorkino is indie stuff now.

Couldn't that shit basically end the world?

>mediocre execution
The first one was great. In terms of pure mechanical film making techniques they utilized some great, physical visual effects.
Hell, this is by far the best in the series in just about every department.
>cenobites get no screentime
That's why they're effective in this one and less so in all of the shitty sequels.
They're a powerful demonic force, not hand wringing cartoon villains.

They're the driving force behind every action in the film. You see them when necessary and are left wanting more.

>spore that grows on anything it touches
>pollen that kills when inhaled
>practically sentient carnivorous plant

In one way, yes, that could pretty much end it all.

On the other hand: we have nukes.

Recently. It was fine, twist wasn't the best but it did have a likeable early 00's aesthetic. Largely forgettable, but bear in mind I thought the same of Pitch Black

Yeah pretty solid film. Wish there were way more ocean related horror films.

It was a relatively low budget movie from '87 based on a novella from '86.

For what it is, it's fairly solid.

Yeah the book was way better, and i think some of the ideas in it were just to hard to translate into film effectively. To be honest, i prefer a couple of the sequels to the first 2, even though they are barely related to Hellraiser.

Nah though. Nah. A high budget isn't needed to make horror.

Horror is more about what you don't see than what you do, and what you don't see is free.

It just takes the clever mind of a good director and writer. More the former than the latter.

'Mediocre execution' used to mean 'unrealised potential', not badly made, the effects were excellent
I dig the left wanting more thing, I've always thought one of the best things in cinema or just media generally in the past few decades was Herzog making Grizzly Man, the docu about the guy who got mauled to death by bears, and saying to his mother or wife or whoever to never release the audio of his death. You can find hundreds of clips of people dieing on the internet, most with audio, but a decade later people are still chomping at the bit to get at that one .wav file to hear what they've heard so many times before purely because they've been told they can't have it.
That said, this works when the alternative to having what you want is as enjoyable, in the case of Hellraiser the story you're given that isn't the stuff about the cenobites is absolute drivel.

I agree, that's exactly why I enjoyed it.

>That said, this works when the alternative to having what you want is as enjoyable, in the case of Hellraiser the story you're given that isn't the stuff about the cenobites is absolute drivel.
I'm with you for the most part but I have to disagree with this point.
I enjoyed the premise of the Frank/stepmother character's bits well enough.

Could it have been better? Sure.
But for a horror film of the era, that's stood the test of time, it's a success in my book.

Shame the legacy has been tarnished by terrible sequels and comic book tie-ins that completely miss the point.

All horror is shit.

I think you're a shit person.

Read the novel. Way better.

Do you know about the 1989: year of the underwater horror movie? DeepStar Six, Leviathan, The Evil Below, Lords of the Deep, The Rift (Endless Descent) and The Abyss all released in 1989. I recon most of them are dogshit but I've always found it interesting how 7 movies around the same niche released in the same year.

Top tier cinematography though. No idea what it was doing in a lower budget studio teen horror flick.

only seen the abyss and i thought it was pretty good actually
rift was 1990 tho not 1989
underwater horror have always been a lost potential genre in my personal opinion

>This is a re-occurring principle I feel frequently in horror.
Oh. After reading the first line of your post I was about to say that exact thing.

I think the reason why I love Trick 'r Treat so much is that it is what Halloween should have been (and arguably what Halloween III: Season of the Witch tried to be). A celebration of the very holiday itself.

it's also a good comic book

It wasn't WAY better. It was slightly better.

You are correct.

That does looks really good.

it's a western comic, you don't read them for the looks

>MudslimZombie.jpg