Why almost every female musician (outside of top 40) gets compared with Kate Bush? Is this a meme?

Why almost every female musician (outside of top 40) gets compared with Kate Bush? Is this a meme?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0U5zsTONjhw
independent.co.uk/voices/comment/kate-bush-the-unicorn-of-pop-will-tour-after-35-years-in-hiding-and-id-give-anything-to-be-there-9207960.html
last.fm/user/chairmandore/library
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grimes_(musician)#Musical_style
pandora.com/station/2895208146671614201
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Lazy journalism mixed with some sexism.

kate bush was the very first woman to create art, didn't you know?

Because no-one's topped her since.

>implying Joanna Newsom didn't

because Kate Bush

well, she's been extremely influential

she's got a kind of vu&n thing going on; she inspired a lot of people to pick up synths and start trying to come up with string section bits

another question is "why don't more male artists get compared to her?" people like sufjan stevens?

this guy had the answer all along:
but another part of it is us--for the moment at least, Sup Forums prefers its female musicians to be baroque pop musicians

obviously if you're a woman working in baroque pop, you're gonna get compared to kate bush

kate bush kinda owns the genre

>"why don't more male artists get compared to her?
think before u post
youtube.com/watch?v=0U5zsTONjhw

lol none of Joanna's songs have the emotional depth of Kate's.

okay yeah but how often does he get compared to her? even with that song?

Cosmia has more emotional (and musical) depth than any album Kate Bush has ever made, and I say that as a Kate Bush fan.

yeah but you say that as a bigger fan of joanna

independent.co.uk/voices/comment/kate-bush-the-unicorn-of-pop-will-tour-after-35-years-in-hiding-and-id-give-anything-to-be-there-9207960.html

Yeah, but that's kinda' the point.

>Bat for Lashes
obviously sounds like her, obviously influenced, name comes up all the time

>Outkast
Big Boi said he's a fan! Isn't that crazy?? He made a statement to the press!

If Big Boi was a woman who did pop music with synthesizers, he wouldn't have had to tell the press about his love of Kate Bush.

Nice job contradicting yourself.

How did I contradict myself?

>tfw you're almost 40 and had never heard of Kate Bush until you came to Sup Forums looking for advice on a bass amp

A shpincter says What?

Answer my question.

Im can't, i'm too busy enjoying Lana Rain.

Yeah that sums it up.

Her vocals make me want to stick Crochet needles into my ears.

All of the above.
Nice to see Sup Forums critically assessing a woman's work instead of posting photos of her feet. Good job so far.

Tbh, I feel like Kate Bush, at least in America more, is really forgotten in a way.

Every time, female pop musician seems to say they discovered her work after their work was compared to Kate's.

Kate absolutely is in America, but in Britain she's a cultural icon. All of her albums have made the top ten and her 22 comeback shows all sold out in 15 minutes. But here in America she's pretty much only known by dedicated music fans. It's weird.

I honestly think her music is too experimental for America.

Quite wrong!

I think partly that, partly her never touring here. The only time she ever played in America was at SNL in 78, and she almost never plays live at this point. Hounds of Love actually did somewhat ok in the states but that was because RUTH was just undeniably good and accessible.

I really hope one day she does a one-off concert. Like at Madison Square Garden.

Any Sauce on her feet?

Another one

Kate is the godmother of British pop

I would argue Tori Amos came close with her first two or three albums

wtf i like oingo boingo and the cardiacs now

is this bait?

gotta have a gold standard

They don't if you live outside of Britain. Literally no one knows or cares about her in America.

This isn't 1983 anymore though, we are on the internet talking about her right now

Grimes did it.

Grimes profile:
>Full name: Claire Elise Boucher
>Born: 17 March 1988 in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
>Origin: Québécois, Ukrainian, Russian and Italian descent
>Music style: synthpop mixed with dreampop, IDM, R&B, J-Pop, medieval, classical

>Instruments:
- vocals
- synthesizer
- sampler
- guitar
- bass
- drums
- violin
- ukulele

>Skills:
- singer
- songwriter
- producer
- sound engineer
- lyricist
- live performer
- visual artist
- music video director & editor
- dancer
- model

>Main interests:
Music, visual arts, dancing, books, films, modeling, video games, internet, and others

>Music taste:
last.fm/user/chairmandore/library
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grimes_(musician)#Musical_style
pandora.com/station/2895208146671614201

>Others:
- Grimes does everything in her music, from singing and songwriting to artwork and production
- nice personality, beautiful look, cares about environment issues and saving animals
- took her name from grime music after discovering the existence of the genre on Myspace
- studied ballet for 11 years
- was a goth outcast in high school
- studed neuroscience, philosophy, and Russian literature and McGill University before being dropped out for missing classes
- started making music when she was around the age of 22 or 23
- big Lord of the Rings, Dune, Game of Thrones, Star Wars, Abbess Hildegard von Bingen and Russian literature fan
- her best friends are James Brooks, Hana, Bloodpop, Duffy, Born Gold

if she can do all that where are the results?

>where are the results?
Her actual art: music, drawings, album covers, music videos, etc. They were all praised and enjoyed. Consensus, baby!

It's a Beatles thing in terms of popularity and a TVU&N thing in terms of influence. Fuse them together and it makes sense to me that people do this so often. She's (shockingly) one of the first solo female artists to top charts with extremely artistic yet accessible pop music which makes zero sacrifices in the way of emotional or compositional depth yet still reaches the ears of millions (in the UK at least). In that way, she's got a Beatles thing going on. In the way that described, she has a TVU&N thing going on.

I don't think sexism has much to do with it, it's all laziness. It's just easy to look to her as a point of reference for solo female artists who make artsy pop music in the exact same way it's easy to look at the Beatles as a point of reference for any pop rock band. Even if the comparison is trite at best and inaccurate at worst, it's an easy one to make because she's a landmark musician and songwriter, especially in her "field".

I'd top her if you know what I mean